T: Add 2
7T, Sacrifice Sauron's Ring: Search your hand, library, graveyard, and exile for up to one planeswalker card in each zone and put them onto the battlefield under your control.
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them"
Again - the ONLY answer you all will ever get is when you leave WotC out of the equation. They are not do anything for Vintage - not proxies, not proxy passes [though that really seems like a great option if WotC did give a sh!t, which again, they don't], not abolishing the reserve list, not printing functional replacements, and not printing superior cards. WotC will NEVER DO ANYTHING TO LOWER THE PRICE OF VINTAGE. Further, they DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR COMPLAINING ABOUT IT. They have no interest in doing anything that could possibly mess with the secondary market or cause any litigation, and the .005% of their profits that Vintage represents is not worth any effort AT ALL to them. I wish people could just accept that point and move on.
If you want to play Vintage in person with cardboard, it will have to be unsanctioned and allow proxies...and that's all there is to it. There are NO other options, so looking for them is a moot point if any option you hope for involves any kind of action or blessing by WotC. WILL.NEVER.HAPPEN. Accept it, deal with it, move on...and just play with your friends and local tourneys or travel to bigger unsanctioned tournaments like ELD used to have.
@protoaddict I think you guys are making it all more complicated than it needs to be. Just use proxies. Have unsanctioned tourneys. I can sell out and play 60 card proxy decks of any make that I want. I can play every card in the game and just enjoy the game and the community. Screw real cards. It's all just cardboard anyway. WotC doesn't need to do a damn thing - and they never will. They don't care. They are printing money to sell to the folks that for some reason feel the need to own real cards. Just make some sweet proxies, run your own events, and have fun.
Here's my only points on this, and I think they are just truisms:
- WotC doesn't give a shit about any of us, especially Vintage players. They print money, and us trading/buying/selling old dollar bills already in circulation is of no consequence to them.
- They have zero incentive to reprint RL cards or allow proxies in sanctioned anything. Again, see point #1.
Prices are absurd - and this is from a guy that has bought in and sold out twice...starting in 1996. I have always chased the new rares and had sellers remorse when I sold, yet always sold because I realized I didn't want $100k in cardboard sitting in my house in case of theft or fire. Magic is crack, and a habit hard to kick. But I'm selling out again and know I'm done for good. I will play online (Arena and cockatrice - i.e. free - only) and in person with proxies only. We can keep Vintage alive with unsanctioned proxy tourneys, but that's it. Thinking WotC will ever do anything to help the affordability of Vintage is straight foolishness and wishful thinking at this point. Just accept it and move on. If you disagree, see points #1 and 2 again.
- Xerox is a large part of the meta, and perhaps the most popular Vintage deck.
- Who the heck is casting stroke?
- Who is getting to a game where they have 15 lands?
- Shops/Bazaar are totally different mana bases and deck construction. If the thread was about "how can I play magic without fetches/duals," then that's been answered since dredge/shops. The post is about what can replace fetches and duals (presumably in the decks that play them) - and the answer seems to be none, or something so ridiculous that WotC would be crazy to print them.