one word: Unplayable.
Posts made by Macdeath
RE: April 16, 2018 Banned And Restricted Announcement
The Format hasn't been particularly fun or interesting ever since Khans of Tarkir was first released. It's been over 7 years (Scars block) that Workshops have been problematic and it's still not solved.
Farewell Vintage, until you become enjoyable again.
what changes (if any) would you like to see in the next Banned and restricted list announcement?
After reading a lot of opinions about the health of the general vintage metagame, I decided to create a poll to see where the community is at in terms of Banned and Restricted list changes they would like to see happen.
Seeing as a lot of people disagree on the changes they'd like to see, I think it will be more practical to measure what the community wants "on average".
Since the polls are limited to 10 entries on TMD I aggregated some of the most frequently mentioned cards in the "February 12, 2018 Banned and Restricted Announcement".
If you are going to comment on your choices, please make sure to articulate the reasons why you believe in said choices and how they would affect the metagame in your opinion. Please respect other peoples opinions and understand that everyone has a different perspective on the format depending on the decks they like to play and their personal preferences/background.
I personally voted for the Restrictions of Foundry Inspector and Arcbound ravager in the hopes of seeing Workshops diversify and to bring them back to a more acceptable Match winrate percentage against the field.
RE: February 12, 2018 Banned and Restricted Announcement
- Arcbound Ravager
- Walking Ballista
- Sphere of Resistance
- Thorn of Amethyst
While I agree that the Ravager ballista "engine" needs to be addressed, i don't think you necessarily need to restrict both.
Ravager + Triskelion used to be pretty good but not quite as outrageous as ravager + ballista. Ravager also adds a lot of depth to the options available to the workshop player in terms of lines of play, so i would be in favor of going for the ballista first (a card that "oppresses" other creature based decks).
However there is another card that is arguably equally responsible of shops current dominant position in the metagame: Foundry Inspector.
So it would make more sense in my opinion to restrict either ballista or ravager alongside foundry inspector instead of restricting both ballista and ravager.
I wouldn't touch thorn and sphere. Sphere is symmetric which forces the workshop player to plan their mana/ sequencing more carefully instead of dropping a no brainer thorn. I also have to admit that i am biased against giving access to more lock pieces to decks with thalia.
Curious to hear your thoughts about a hypothetical Foundry Inspector + Walking ballista restriction.
RE: Yawgmoth's Storm
- Thoughtseize is a great card, so much better than duress vs "Thorn" decks, and helps to make the strip your hand of action/counters plan much more effective. I like to have 8+ cards (2 grids/ 6 discard) that can interact with blue decks in the md, although that is my personal preference/playstyle. I've also been spoiled playing 4 probes 4 duress 2 therapies in the deck for a long time that I find it hard to play the deck with only 1 probe and 4 duress for the information which is so crucial to the deck.
- LED needs you to already be winning to be useful in general. It does open a few lines of play where no other cards could. But the idea is that is does nothing to help the deck in tough spots. Basically it doesn't help the deck solve any issues but just plays to the already established core competencies of the deck. The idea is that the deck doesn't need any more "balls to the wall" element because it's already the best deck at that, but rather needs ways to be able to navigate the structural issues it faces in the current environment. It also gets a lot worse/ riskier without gitaxian probe.
- Memory Jar used to be be a must include in the past, when the deck didn't have quite the same threat density and didn't have access to more potent threats. It's also become much more of a liability vs artifact removal and null rod which are more prevalent than they used to be. Having tinker-bot in the main is mainly to have more flexibility against workshops and hate spells.dec.
- Sensei has better tricks with bounce spells, has good synergy with necro/ tolarian and is more efficient with vampiric tutor than preordain is. From a strategic perspective it's much better to help you build up your mana vs shops or to continue hitting threats against blue decks (and also makes discard less effective in the combo mirror/ dredge matchup).
Obviously preordain is better in the early game and is more synergistic with cards like cabal ritual and Dark petition.
- My bad for library, when I was rereading your post it somehow didn't register in my brain.
RE: Yawgmoth's Storm
I can't help but wonder if you would have been better positioned better vs PO mentor and oath with 1-2 tseize md.
Do we really need LED? it feels win more a lot of the time, and only really shines on rare occasions. It increases variability quite a lot. Also Tinker bot should be in the main deck unless your meta has shops underrepresented. Tinker is also pretty good vs blue decks to clear a path for ywill or fetching a Defense grid.
Saddistic sacrament has always been a little loose in my opinion, since you are usually winning the game when you have a bomb with the same cmc resolving. The BBB forces you to invest heavily into it. It also has gotten a lot worse without probe and with decks like oath or mentor which have diversified their win cons.
How good has bontu's last reckonning been for you? It doesn't seem like it would be better than stuff like EE, Toxic deluge or even pack rat?
3/4 slots should be all you need vs dredge. Especially since most versions have traded speed for resiliency to hate, which makes them softer to Ritual storm in general.
Sphinx vs BSC is debatable although I feel like ravager makes lifelink in general a lot worse (as seen with the decline of Griselbrand in oath which it is partly responsible for). But Sphinx is definitely a house vs a deck like hatebears/humans.
Since you made room for preordains, was surprised not to see Top. It is a lot more versatile and helps when you are forced to play the longer game. Also better bait for missteps.
Curious to hear your thoughts on these matters.
EDIT: Where is Library? Card is ridiculously good in the deck.
RE: How can I build a playable mono blue control(or combo) deck ?
Mono blue is not worth it for a combo deck since without the black tutors you loose a lot of consistency. You want a deck with redundant pieces. I would suggest revisiting the Back 2 basics mono blue control with pwalkers and versatile blue creatures (like Consecrated sphinx, Torrential gearhulk, Vendillion clique, Snapcaster mage, trinket mage ...) In today's meta you can use Dismember or Propaganda/energy flux as your creature/artifact answers and have a strong counter package with 3/4 mana drains.
RE: Yawgmoth's Storm
@aelien You need tinker bot maindeck to have a shot vs shops imo. Memory jar is garbage vs dack and null rod, you already have more than enough threats to be able to consistently go off. LED is mostly overkill and chrome mox is awful, I would change those for tinker bot. Also you need Library of Alexandria in the main deck, it's so good vs counterspell decks and occasionally great vs shops.
RE: Yawgmoth's Storm
@listlik I've been playing off and on since the unrestriction... and it's fine. It's soft to Leovold and Null Rod and anything like those. My opinion is that Paradoxical Storm is faster and more reliable.
More like the other way around, Po is a lot softer to leovold and null rod. Ritual storm is faster, harder to hate on and more consistent at going off. Po is better vs shops due to having fow and more non storm win conditions and Po helps the deck compete on attrition with other blue decks. Rituals are a viable option when Blue decks plan is to fight combo with artifact hate. However the deck's real issue is that it struggles with shops since although shops have less prison elements the faster clock gives you less time to build up your resources to setup for a eot hurkyl's.