This is an old topic but I'm curious how it turned out? I have a golden age comic collection worth a nice chunk of change, in addition to my Magic cards, all of which my wife has the least bit interest knowing about, either the game itself or values.

I do have a Collect Insure policy on my comics, but didnt know they covered Magic.

If anything, I'm more worried if I would pass away or something (im only 37 but you never know), and she wouldn't know what to do about it. Maybe an appraisal with instructions on where/how to sell them is something I should look into....

@Loukayza said in Asset Appraisal for Divorce:

This is an old topic but I'm curious how it turned out? I have a golden age comic collection worth a nice chunk of change, in addition to my Magic cards, all of which my wife has the least bit interest knowing about, either the game itself or values.

I do have a Collect Insure policy on my comics, but didnt know they covered Magic.

If anything, I'm more worried if I would pass away or something (im only 37 but you never know), and she wouldn't know what to do about it. Maybe an appraisal with instructions on where/how to sell them is something I should look into....

Yeah, it was a laborious process, but I finally put together a spreadsheet of all my collectible assets, printed it out, showed it to my wife and explicitly told her "this is an approximate worth of each card/comic, so don't sell for significantly less. Enlist my brother to help you."

I try to update it on occasion and print out. It would devastate me if she took my entire collection into some random comic shop or CCG store and got totally screwed over.

Selling off a Magic/Comic collection item by item is probably on par with the 8th level of hell, but I want to at least make sure she has a benchmark to base off of so at that point she can decide what the convenience premium is worth to her.

Still going on, pain in the butt that I still can't actually play cards. Both my wife and I obtained different 'experts' for appraisals. Most retailers will offer to do an appraisal but for a large Vintage collection you may want to be sure to have someone truly qualified, not just the local MTG shop. I was sure to pick someone I knew had a great reputation and qualifications but I had no personal history with. It's not a fun process and a bit idiotic to be honest; very easy for one side to devolve into trying to pay $x in legal fees to gain $x/2 from the other.

Views