Documentation of rules violations/questionable behavior by the Eternal Weekend Winner

@thecravenone said:

@Balanceftw said:

Does anyone know whether there is a Wizards article up yet about champs? I am a little confused. Normally, they have the obligatory picture of the winner with the portrait and a written interview with some quotes. I googled for this and didn't see it anywhere on wizards website.

I can't find it now but someone from WotC said there would be no coverage on their site.

This is a little concerning to be honest. Whether you like the champ or not, can't say I am happy about Wizards declining to post any coverage of Vintage champs. Especially when they used to give it pretty decent treatment. At least for me, I prefer editorialized print coverage to some twitch feeds.

We need to all come together as a community to unite behind our current Vintage Champion. There will be future championships but Joseph deserves an honest shot at leading the Vintage community. To all the aspiring cheaters out there, just know that your opportunity is coming - hopefully sooner than we think. God bless you, and God bless the Vintage community.

I sincerely doubt a lack of coverage from WotC has anything to do with this "controversy" - remember, from WotC's perspective there's no controversy at all. Some non-cheating penalties were handed out, some players expressed concerns and the Judges evaluated those concerns and determined nothing untoward happened. I wouldn't read too deeply into this.

Honestly, I have not watched the game. However when the Pic of him winning hit my facebook feed I thought I would stop back in here after about a ~5 year absence, and see what happened. I'm a little shocked, and a little bit not surprised by what i have read. I feel; right or wrong, that I should at least provide some incite.

To start I have known Mr. Bogaard since he was 12 – 14, I was in my early 20’s. I was one of the people that taught him Magic. He is exceptionally bright and analytical, almost to much. He sees the the best way to do something and could be very ridged, and slow to change. I think it took me 7-8 years to get him to understand a fun theme deck vs. a good well optimized deck, as well as the benefit of these kinds of deck in teaching the next generation of players. Once I beat this into his skull he became a very good teacher of the game as he took over for me at our local shop. During the Mid 2000’s he is the one who got me into the Vintage Tournament scene around Chicago. He won some lost more, but for him it was not about the winning it was about the challenge, competition and deck building.
It was back then that he joined organized play, and eventually became a level 2 judge at one point. I sold him my collection as I was leaving the hobby; life, wife, kid. He went off to college and started playing more online than in person, but was a big FNM guy for years, and local Standard tournaments. For the past 4-6 years he has not played a ton offline to my knowledge, between being a MD/PHD student and getting married and all that goes with that.

Now with the history out of the way here is what I’m not surprised about:

The way he shuffles. He has always since he was a kid shuffled in weird patterns. It has never given him an advantage. In fact when he would try new patterns it was always to find better randomness. This to me is just habit and nature, that no one has ever had an issue with in any tournament I have ever been to with him.

His sloppy play. Yes I’m not surprised at all with his sloppy play, and I whole heartily believe that it was just big piles of slop. The guy tends to think way to fast and way too far ahead. I told him he should play chess. Even when he was well rested and in total practice, tourneys every month, practice every weekend. He would get ahead of himself, if he was interrupted or distracted he would forget where he was in his turn, and do the stupid stuff talked about in this thread. It is why in my opinion he didn’t win more tourney’s back in the day. In fact in the local circuit we played he was known for this, and people learned to pay close attention to his turns and plays because of it. In fact some people would try to distract him on purpose for this reason.

He never complained or got mad, when he screwed up, he always accepted game loses or rulings that went against him with class. If he made a mistake he realized he always tried to correct it. Judges were hardly ever summoned in these cases. Back then players would try to figure it out themselves first. Only of an agreed upon solution could not be reached quickly would oversight be required.

For the sleeves, any that played him does he still shuffle his hand constantly while thinking? It does not surprise me that they would get beat to hell quickly. At least in the past he would always buy new sleeves for his deck for a tournament, because he beat them to hell.

Sorry for the block of text, but I felt I needed to chime in because this is one person that I know who has always been above board and accommodating. I have found him to be a great teacher of the game and ambassador of the game at the local level. I can see why some of you think the way you think. I understand. I just ask you not rush to judgement.

Thank you for reading and you patience.

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that it has taken almost two weeks to get a tournament report up; but part one (everything up to the top 😎 is now up and can be found here:

http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/journey-to-the-2016-vintage-championship-top-8/

Please, take a look at the article to learn more about me, and my experience at Eternal Weekend, and let me know what you think of the article either in the comments on vintagemagic.com, or here in one of these threads.

Joseph

@jdbogaard Great read - somehow a very soothing writing style. I found the card choice portion to be very illustrative on pros and cons. It makes me want to play the deck online (until I remember how slow I am). Congratulations, and hopefully you didn't have to suffer too much crap from others.

I'm looking for the alternate art Mox Sapphire that was supposed to be the reward for the Vintage event. Is it available to see anywhere? I've google searched and can't find anything. Is that due to this controversy?

I remember that Wizards used to do articles for the event, but can't find anything there either.

@redmanabirds said in Documentation of rules violations/questionable behavior by the Eternal Weekend Winner:

I'm looking for the alternate art Mox Sapphire that was supposed to be the reward for the Vintage event. Is it available to see anywhere? I've google searched and can't find anything. Is that due to this controversy?

I remember that Wizards used to do articles for the event, but can't find anything there either.

Do you mean you want to see the art or that you want to obtain one? It's an original painting I believe, so there isn't a way to get one that I know of.

I think the Vintage winners have all kept their paintings, but I know at least one legacy winner sold their trophy painting immediately following their victory.

@vaughnbros That's true. So, what I like to do is 3-4 mash shuffles (front-to-back AND back-to-front) then a series of chop shuffles, then back to mash shuffles.

Views