So I saw a card spoiled in EM that looks very promising. For those of you who are unaware: here's a link to the card:
Creature - Homunculus
*T: Add C to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast an instant or sorcery spell.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are three or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, transform Curious Homunculus.
and here's a link to the flip side:
Creature - Eldrazi Homunculus
Instant and Sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
So. . . . . how is this guy any better than the unplayable Goblin Electromancer you ask? My answer: in every possible way that matters.
- This guy is a turn 1 play off any mox and a land.
- This guy has Prowess once flipped and can be a viable beat-stick
- There are interesting interactions with instant speed spells as you can use his tap ability with the flip trigger on the stack to create colorless mana for a spell you will cast on the upkeep he flips.
On that note, here's my list:
3 Underground Sea
4 Polluted Delta
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Flooded Strand
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mana Crypt
4 Dark Confidant
2 Curious Homunculus
4 Dark Ritual
3 Cabal Ritual
1 Rushing River
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
4 Gitaxian Probe
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Time Walk
1 Yawgmoth's Will
3 Tendrils of Agony
4 Dark Petition
4 Defense Grid
1 Rushing River
2 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Yixlid Jailer
1 Toxic Deluge
2 Curious Homunculus
So you also might be asking yourself after seeing the list:
Where's the Mind's Desire? Where's the Yawgmoth's Bargain? Where's the Wheel of Fortune? Where are the preordains?
My simple answer is they don't make the cut. Bargain is a terrible flip to bob and so is Desire. Desire is closer to being playable, but I tend to like Desire in more academy centric versions of Petition Storm and this deck is an entirely different animal.
The key linchpin to this list is Intuition. This card is so bonkers with Curious Homunculus it isn't even funny. The typical line that you might use to win is this:
- Upkeep respond to flipping Homunculus by tapping for colorless.
- Let flip trigger resolve and then cast Intuition for the 1 colorless you just floated + U.
- Get 3 copies of Cabal Ritual. Move to mainphase.
- Cast Cabal Ritual for B and add BBBBB (you should have threshold by now if you've been, ya know , casting anything and then your 1 intuition).
- Cast Dark Petition for 2BB and float a B and add BBB. You now have BBBB floating still.
- Cast Yawg Will for 1B and you still have BB floating.
- Recast your Cabal Rituals each for B and get a shitload of mana.
- Win with Petition for Tendrils.
Now this isn't even that hard a scenario to set up and it happens a lot. Obviously this doesn't assume countermagic at all, but that is a reason we run 4 grid in the sideboard and 3 maindeck Cabal Therapies. Also, You don't even have to win this way often. Often you can just mini-tendrils twice for the win or swing with homunculus + bob for a bit and then mini-tendrils for the win. The deck is very flexible in the role it can assume. I am still tweaking things about the deck so I'd appreciate input, but I want folks to understand that this is a very carefully considered list and I'd appreciate it if folks didn't just write it off as terrible without providing some explanation for why they feel that way. I'm pretty excited about this list and I haven't really been that excited about anything "storm" related in a while.
Anyhoo, post away!