@studderingdave Is it possible to just run a couple eye of ugin and a single giant creature that solves the moat problem?

I don't have enough experience to say with the deck but you bring up an interesting point. I played in a 12 man event today with Mono White Eldrazi and went 2-2. I lost to Blue Moon and a UR Slaver and won against Oath and Merfolk. Blood Moon hit me really hard in the Blue Moon Matchup. I am thinking of upping my disenchant count in the board but I usually just kneejerk myself right out of a good deck. My gut tells me to just grind more games before making any changes.

Thought I would look into kicking this thread in the arse.

New Thalia is a thing, and she is seeing some play in the limited data I can find online. I was wondering what others think about this deck now that we have that card and what kind of "Kick" it will grant the deck. I have been out of the loop since the printing so if anyone has tried her I would be most interested in what they thought of her.

I have 2 copies of "THC" in my White Eldrazi build. Nothing crazy yet, but I have got her in play and caused some headaches with her.

I've played a few matches with new Thalia. Some in a more white version without Smasher and Temple and with Stoneforge and also in a list with more Eldrazi including Mimic and Endless One.

New Thalia has been good. Definitely a hassle for opponents. The 3CC means it doesn't get down as quickly which is pretty key. I'm going to add Petal, maybe, for more acceleration.

I don't have enough reps with new Thalia yet but initial experience has been good. I said earlier that this deck needs something like Tangle Wire as an extra piece of disruption to not run out of steam. Or some crap like that. Thalia's biggest issue is that she doesn't affect cards already on the board but maybe it will be able to serve that purpose anyway.

Are Reality Smasher and Eldrazi Temple required to post here? I've been trying with Displacer and TKS as my Eldrazi and added Recruiter of the Guard with a light tutor package. I've only played a few games, but the deck feels powerful for sure. I even had a game where I played Recruiter into Revoker on the same turn then played Displacer on the next turn, blinked Recruiter, got another Revoker, and cast it. Probably not something you'll do every game, but it felt great locking out each Moxen my opponent played.

@water0 I have played the deck a fair amount without Smasher and Temple, and while I think there are some matches where I don't want those cards, the matches where I want them the most are the toughest. Basically grixis pyro is what I am talking about, we need something that can run over the tokens, and can't just be chumped, and smashers give us that opportunity. Personally I am sideboarding the smasher and temples at the moment, but I think they are pretty good.

The build I'm currently testing.

I've been mostly happy with Recruiter in the games I've played so far; you can often tutor and play on the same turn. Eldrazi Displacer has been absolutely nuts in almost every game - someone tinkered up colossus, and I asked if he realised what that meant; I just tapped it and killed him. I even flickered a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy in response to the draw/discard and made it not flip. I'm sure I could go on and on, but that's not going to help.

The sideboard probably could use some fine tuning, so that's definitely a WIP. Stillmoon Cavalier is for the hatebears mirror match mostly.

I think I would test out Sanctum Prelate (probably in place of that Chalice and possibly more copies), but it's sadly not available on xmage which is where I usually play. If anyone can play paper, I think it's going to be better than Chalice in some spots. I had a game where I drew Chalice and wanted to say 5 (opponent appeared to be on Tezzerator and was), but obviously you can't do that. Cavern was already on Human to make it uncounterable too.

I think this (or something similar) might be the best "hatebears" build since you get to attack from several different angles. Massacre doesn't stop your Thorns, Displacers, or Thought-Knot Seers, artifact destruction barely hurts, and single target removal like Swords or Dismember aren't that hot. The only thing the deck is lacking is a way to get extra cards which you can kinda do with Displacer and Recruiter, but that's pretty slow. Maybe Bob could work his way into the deck somehow?

I couldn't make the mana work with prelate in my testing. I had to make the expensive cards to hard to cast to consistently have double white.

This is my current build, which I've been very happy with:

4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
3 Containment Priest
3 Eldrazi Displacer
3 Reality Smasher
2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Lodestone Golem

4 Thorn of Amethyst
1 Chalice of the Void

1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
4 Plateau
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Karakas
1 Strip Mine

SB:
1 Containment Priest
2 Stony Silence
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Rest in Peace
3 Flametongue Kavu
1 Swords to Plowshares
2 Aegis of the Gods
2 Ingot Chewer

Sideboard is still a work in progess and stuff I try out.

I've also been working on a black/white version with Confidants maindeck and Shriekmaws sideboard, but I haven't tested it a lot. It doesn't have a high average CMC, but between the Confidants and the Tombs and Caves of Kolos the lifeloss have been an issue though.

last edited by JuzamJim

Have you been happy with spirit of the lab? I haven't found that to be super effective in my testing.

@garbageaggro I'm not sure if you were asking @JuzamJim, me, or anyone; but many opponents Force of Will Spirit immediately, so I figure it must be threatening enough. It doesn't do much unless your opponent is playing Gush/Preordains, but I feel like it's a good angle to have covered.

I just feel like i am either beating the deck running those without playing a fragile creature, or I am losing even if that guy is in play for a short time. The sphere effects keep them from casting a lot of the draw spells, but also make casting removal harder, and the big guys hit for more. I also sometimes have trouble casting spirit, since my first cavern is usually human and my 2nd one is usually eldrazi.

I don't think it is terrible, I just haven't been that impressed, and in a list as tight as this one on slots, I couldn't really justify playing.

@garbageaggro said:

I just feel like i am either beating the deck running those without playing a fragile creature, or I am losing even if that guy is in play for a short time. The sphere effects keep them from casting a lot of the draw spells, but also make casting removal harder, and the big guys hit for more. I also sometimes have trouble casting spirit, since my first cavern is usually human and my 2nd one is usually eldrazi.

I don't think it is terrible, I just haven't been that impressed, and in a list as tight as this one on slots, I couldn't really justify playing.

I must admit that I haven't tested it enough to draw any conclusions yet as it's a new thing I'm trying out, but I like that it attack the opponent from another angel. Also, it's a much better card if you're behind or in top deck mode. The mana hasn't really been an issue. I play 9 W sources + Cavern and I don't think I once has been in a situation where I couldn't cast it.

Two intelligent souls played White Eldrazi in the P9 yesterday, and neither of us lost outside the mirror until the semifinals. Our win-rate against the field was 85.7%. In the swiss we went 10-0 in matches, 20-4 in games. I went 6-1 against Gush, and 5-1 against Mentor.

White Eldrazi was also the best deck at NA champs. The 15 non-budget White Eldrazi players had a win rate against the field of 62.3%. This was obscured by the archetype being lumped in with the awful Jacodrazi, which 41 players registered, winning just 35.7% of their matches against the field. My 6-1 record against Gush yesterday isn't anomaly. At Champs, the deck was 76% against Gush in 25 total matches.

last edited by wappla

@wappla The deck continues to be a real threat in the meta today. Impressive numbers for the two players of this P9! Have you found a bad matchup or a matchup where you felt you were fighting against the tide?

Are the decklists up yet? Curious if you splash red or black or if mono white is still the best option. Nice job on finish

It's kind of like Shops except it has way better answers to Oath of Druids and Dredge. Deck gets my vote for causing me the most aggravation in the past year!

Views