White Eldrazi

• @nba84 Suppression Field looks like a pretty interesting addition. Would you care to post your list? I'd be interested to see how you integrate it.
    Paul

• @prn said in White Eldrazi:

@nba84 Suppression Field looks like a pretty interesting addition. Would you care to post your list? I'd be interested to see how you integrate it.
    Paul

Seconded.

Played another 5 Shops matches tonight and won 2, so we’re getting better! . . . It’s obviously still rough, but Big Thalia has been the MVP thus far. Seems like the trick is to quickly land her and one other solid piece of interaction, like Null Rod or Wasteland. That tempo can be just enough to get you there.

Kataki and Serenity both did some nice work the one time they turned up; I’m more and more convinced I want the 2nd Serenity. Unfortunately there aren’t any Japanese copies on any major vendors’ sites 😞

• @ssasala Very close games on @hierarchnoble's stream. Did you have other matches against Shops during the challenge? How did they play out?

• @chubbyrain I went 0-2 versus Shops. No surprise. Shops were the bookends to the Challenge. Round 1 game 1 was um... Vintage. By turn 2 he had 3 Foundry Inspectors AND no Shops in play. Ridiculous. Game 2 was 7 permanents in play on his first turn. That's fine. Took a deep breathe and regrouped knowing that can happen in Vintage.

Playing against @hierarchnoble in the last round was tough, close, and lucky on both sides. I didn't know what Mike was playing and happened to have Mox pearl and tomb and Thalia 2.0 in my opener. I do not win game 1 without a hand like that against Shops.

If I remember correctly Mike had 7 permanents in play for game 2 before i got a turn. I kept a hand with 2 plains, temple, cavern, Thalia 2.0, spyglass and serenity. Definitely a keep. I just needed to figure out how to leverage it correctly against a ridiculous start. Facing double ravager and steel overseer turn 1 on the play was tough. I draw tomb and name overseer with spyglass knowing that I am trying to land serenity. Naming ravager doesn't stop modular when they hit the bin in 2 turns. I was trying to safe life points till then. My only fear was Factory to have a landing spot for modular. Mike got aggressive by sacing his excess moxen with ravager for the beats. I land serenity. He lands Factory. I chump block for a few turns without drawing wasteland or STP. Close game.

Last game, last match of the tourney I had Null Rod, basic plains, TKS, and tomb plus others to start. First turn Null Rod go. Shop then spyglass on Displacer was mikes turn. (I had decided Displacer was most difficult card to play mana-wise in the deck. I only had 1 in the 75) I draw spyglass and avoid getting wastelanded out of the game. Hangarback go from Mike. I drew balance. I thought long and hard about my next play. Hangarback on the battlefield with equal land count and equal card count didn't make for a good balancing act at that time. I TKS mikes only threat in ballista and pass. Wasteland from Mike, pass. I felt pretty good. I draw tomb and copy TKS with metamorph exiling a blank. Felt pretty good at that point still. Balance in hand if things got out of control. Mike liked my metamorph idea so much he copied it and with his own TKS and took my balance. Ok. Good card off the top. We trade TKS next turn. I have 2 Thalia 1.0 is hand. Not great. Inspector pass from Mike. TKS from me. Continue to beat down. Got rid of his hangarback for 2 thopters. I exiled another ballista and pass. Felt I was in the drivers seat. Then I saw all Mikes mana tap and that feeling went away. Hangarback for 5. Go. I drew Smasher. I was deflated by the hangarback tbh. Kind of a bad beat. I then had the outside world stuff kick in and was fatigued and ready to go on with my day. I took a risky line of alpha striking with everything with hope I drew another Smasher or serenity. I didn't. Game over with Mike at 2 life.

So, I felt that each game was close. Mike played extremely well. the entire time playing against Shops I feel like I am just waiting to get smashed by a 5 or 6 drop that I can't deal with. I had more TKS than I would expect on average so that was in my favor. Maybe I missed Displacer?? I don't know. It's usually the only thing to name with Revoker so I was next leveling maybe? Would I rather have a 3/3 with no text or a spirit of the labyrinth against the rest of the field? I went with David Bowie this time around. I mean if balance was Displacer I win that last game. In the end 0-2 versus Shops. Status quo. I did lose the die roll round 1. Completely changed that game. And winning the die roll against Mike landed me a turn 1 Thalia 2.0. I don't win that game on the draw.

I think my biggest take away from the tourney was getting damping sphered round 2. That card is hilarious. It just needs a home and will cause a ton of judge calls and card counting and storm counting and crazy non-sense. I actually flashed in a containment priest in a guys/gals upkeep to prevent him/her from playing multiple spells in his/her own turn. Good stuff

-Steven

• TMD Supporter

@ssasala For what it's worth, Eldrazi Displacer is the single most terrifying card I expect to see in an eldrazi list. Kataki, Thalias, etc. are good cards but I can beat them. Active Displacer just ruins combat and instantly blanks so many cards.

• TMD Supporter

@ssasala said in White Eldrazi:

I actually flashed in a containment priest in a guys/gals upkeep to prevent him/her from playing multiple spells in his/her own turn. Good stuff

Wait, does this work?

Damping Sphere says

Each spell a player casts costs {1} more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.

So I don't think flashing in Priest on their upkeep would increase the cost of your opponent's spells at all... am I missing something?

• @ssasala Good games! My only regret was my leading play game three where I should have used my Wasteland on the first turn to handle the Cavern of Souls instead of going for Spyglass. Perhaps that would have led you to Spyglass Mishra's Factory instead, especially after game two, but that's all heat-of-the-moment conjecture that niether of us could reproduce. At the time I didn't see the Cavern of Souls as a threat since it didn't represent a turn two Thought-Knot Seer, and so I figured I had time to Wasteland next turn. Then I didn't. Either way, that Thalia, Heretic Cathar game one was brutal.

@cutlex This was especially true with the way my draw lined up, as I ended up drawing nothing but Hangarback Walkers and Walking Ballistas against a resolved Null Rod. Eldrazi Displacer eats those alive.

• @hierarchnoble i went through and watched your stream of the challenge. Good stuff. Keep it up.

Near the end game 1 when I played out my Thorn and Glowrider I did it because of moxen. I knew you had Ballista AND 2 untapped Shops next turn. Multiple moxen/Crypt/lotus would make a large ballista.

If I were you I would keep in a number of Spheres against me. I saw the chat saying similar comments. That is why I named Wasteland with Spyglass. I can't get wasted out of the game with the possibility of being trapped underneath Spheres.

Factory off the top when I cast Serenity.... 😩.

@cutlex ok... I get it guys. Displacer back in the deck in multiples. Now I just need to figure out what to trim on. Most likely a Glowrider and a Spirit of the Labyrinth.

• @ssasala Thanks for the tips, and sorry about all the cursing! I'll definitely keep some Spheres in next time.

• Cheers @ssasala and @hierarchnoble for walking us through that match! I watched the stream, so it’s great getting some insight into why you both played how you played.

@ssasala I’m surprised you found yourself having to play cards against Shops like Glowrider and Spirit games 2 & 3. Thalia effects have been immediate cuts for me, and all told I’m bringing out 12 cards post board. Can you break down what you’re siding in and out?

• @stuart I may have been confusing with what I was saying.

I was trying to find maindeck space for more than 1 Displacer. I only had 1/75 and I wanted to increase that to 3/75. I think I will cut a Glowrider and a spirit of the labyrinth.

And yes, Glowriders, labyrinths, Thorn, etc are cut when playing Shops postboard. For how devastating Serenity was after Mike played 7 permanents turn1, I will try to find room for 1 more Serenity in my sideboard. The way that game played out, his only out was Factory. He had it. Granted I was at 4 life and needed to start attacking him, Factory plus ravager can beat Serenity.

• @ssasala Gotcha - thanks for the clarification.

I'm with you on double Serenity, and will personally be cutting my Balance for it.

• Another 5 Shops matches tonight, going 0-5. Kill me now.

Drama aside, my buddy was testing a sideboard configuration with 2 Wurmcoil, 2 Precursor, and 2 Traxos. I don't think that's common (yet), but it was an absolute beating for White Eldrazi. Seems like a solid anti-Shops setup, so y'all might wanna be on the lookout for it.

• @fsecco serenity is good. But Shops is just too fast. You play around stuff to only have them spew out 7 permanents. I will keep at it trying different sideboard cards, but playing against Shops is demoralizing.

• @ssasala I don't play MTGO so I'm not incentivized to do this (because the rate of Shops in paper is smaller), but have you tried registering a board like this?

4 Kataki
    4 Null Rod
    4 Serenity
    3 Cage

I'd be interested to see what happens if you go way overboard on Shops hate. Theoretically, our maindeck is strong enough to stand a good chance against the rest of the field, so maybe we could get away with a board like this.

• @stuart I don't know about Null Rod. It's my favorite card but it might not be where the deck needs to be. I need moxen too. Maybe damping Sphere is better vs Shops. There is overlap to the Storm and blue matchups too. I will have to test. And yes, damping Sphere does hurt me too, but not as much as Workshop.

My theory is that DS takes out their 3 mana land where only takes out my 2 mana land ???

I will up my count of serenity to see if that helps.

• @ssasala Yeah, Null Rod can be a beating on us, but my experience is that it's a lot harder to beat Shops when their creatures get to do what they're supposed to do; ours outclass theirs when they're vanilla. Still, it does lead to some very bad draws and can backfire. All of which contributes to my feeling that Shops is just a garbage matchup.

• If i wanted to switch over from shops, would you recommend white eldrazi or white trash? I think white eldrazi has put up more results but there’s a version of white trash I’ve seen floating around that I really like.

Deck: Vintage White Trash.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:28
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Leonin Relic-Warder
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Sanctum Prelate
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Palace Jailer

Artifacts:9
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Null Rod

Enchantments:2
    2 Stony Silence

Lands:21
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Cavern of Souls
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    7 Plains
    1 Strip Mine
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    2 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Gisela, the Broken Blade
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Any thoughts? I know TKS is insane but I’ve always felt like palace jailer is also quite strong.

• TMD Supporter

@naixin If you're picking one, I think White Eldrazi would give you substantially better odds of winning matches than the deck you posted. It's more explosive and the overall card quality is higher. I would think there would be a lot of games with that white deck where you draw the wrong hate creature at the wrong time and just get run over.

• Ok, I'll walk right into criticism. I've always loved Eldrazi since it burst onto the scene, though I've never really gotten it to work for me in terms of producing results. Recently, I've been halfheartedly fiddling around with splashing another color via the use of Ash Barrens. I've tried splashing green for Ramunap + Knight of the Reliquary. I tried red for things that don't make sense in this meta anymore. When Thorn got restricted I kinda gave up on the deck, but with the printing of Damping Sphere, it has me wondering again. What are anyone's thoughts on Ashbarrens White Eldrazi with a splash, including but not limited to saying that it's a moronic idea?

WAF/WHF