Storm-Kiln Artist {3}{R}
Creature — Dwarf Shaman
Storm-Kiln Artist gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control.
Magecraft — Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, create a Treasure token.
2/2

Cranial Plating aside, every time you cast an instant or sorcery you get to generate a mana. One might have the mana to cantrip through their entire deck with this in play. I think the mana cost is steep, but versatile creature with a powerful ability once in play.

Birgi steals a lot of this little guy's thunder but there might be something there for a grixis DPS deck. Seems interesting enough to give a try at least. I"ll post a list if my bit of tinkering makes anything I am happy with.

Justin and I have been playing with it.

The card is insane, one of the top Vintage cards in the set.

alt text

On actually playing this, you cast any instant or sorcery, get a Treasure, sac that Treasure to cast Flusterstorm, then redirect the copies at the original Flusterstorm so your initial spell still resolves.

Storm-Kiln turns your extra Flusterstorms into Rituals, lets you Breach combo without other mana sources, and functions as a pseudo-Sprite Dragon if they clamp down on the graveyard. You can also run it in more generic Blue decks where it fuels pretty broken combo turns with Flusterstorms and other restricted spells. It plays well with another very powerful Strixhaven card in Expressive Iteration.

Yeah magecraft is an insane ability for Vintage. Brainfreeze now functions like a Cabal Ritual on steroids. So if this is replacing ritual effects, then you must be relying on Mana Crypt,Vault, Sol Ring to power him out? And then hope he doesn’t get bolted

last edited by LieNielsen

@lienielsen said in [STX] Storm-Kiln Artist:

Yeah magecraft is an insane ability for Vintage. Brainfreeze now functions like a Cabal Ritual on steroids. So if this is replacing ritual effects, then you must be relying on Mana Crypt,Vault, Sol Ring to power him out? And then hope he doesn’t get bolted

Those mana rocks are great and Bolt is not very effective against this combo.

Chain of vapor (moxes) is a great thing too.

Yeah I think this card is the reason Chain of Smog spiked from nothing to $15 or so. Chain of Smog generates infinite mana with this card I believe.

@lienielsen I think it's more likely this guy, which just straight up wins the game with Chain of Smog
0_1619454284816_a23f5260-6c41-4f70-84ab-55f0900bb5d0-image.png

last edited by revengeanceful

@revengeanceful said in [STX] Storm-Kiln Artist:

@lienielsen I think it's more likely this guy, which just straight up wins the game with Chain of Smog
0_1619454284816_a23f5260-6c41-4f70-84ab-55f0900bb5d0-image.png

People are quite liking this in legacy at least from what I have heard.

@lienielsen said in [STX] Storm-Kiln Artist:

Yeah I think this card is the reason Chain of Smog spiked from nothing to $15 or so. Chain of Smog generates infinite mana with this card I believe.

There are honestly a handful of magecraft cards that Chain is a 2 card combo with. I'm not sure it is any particular one. It actually plays very well with Clever Lumimancer in Legacy where you can either go all in for a turn 2 alpha strike or actually play it fair for value knowing if your opponent bounces it back at you they reopen the possibility of you murdering them.

Hows this guy fair with Birgi in the format? I feel like they are different enough that they would have niches but with overlap, but this dude not being a legend means you can generate profit if you get both in play.

@protoaddict It'll be hilarious if chain of smog gets banned/restricted. Such a bad card, but there are so many magecraft interactions where it's just a turn 2 kill with consistency:

1. Ritual->witch, turn 2 smog for infinite 1/1s (that turn into infinite life if the opp casts balance or a wrath)
  2. Two lands (or a mox), ritual (or lotus) witherbloom + smog
  3. 1-drop grow-guys + turn 2 smog for infinite big dork.

Even in standard, magecraft is just stupid fast.

last edited by Thewhitedragon69

@lienielsen
I'm aware of chain of smog. I just like the idea of building a deck with a bunch of cards that are good on their own. Chain of Smog doesn't really fit that niche.

Views