XXXRR
Sorcery
Deals 5 times X damage to each of up to X targets

So x spells have fallen out of vintage for a long, long time but they used to be the premier win condition. If you play old school, you would find that Fireball is one of the most common win conditions.

The reason I bring this up is because:

444RR : 20 damage to 4 targets
333RR : 15 damage to 3 targets

This is dealing lethal damage for significantly less mana than a Fireball. Is there anything else in the game that can one shot the opponent for just 11-14 mana?

Typically, in Vintage, if you are generating 14 non-workshop mana, the game should have been over 6 turns ago. If you are quickly getting 14 mana by going infinite, cost won't matter then. I get the OS reference, but can't see how any such pricey effect has a place in Vintage.

But to answer the general question: I don't think there is a kill in 1 burn spell for 14 mana yet.

@lienielsen said in [STX] Crackle with Power:

This is dealing lethal damage for significantly less mana than a Fireball. Is there anything else in the game that can one shot the opponent for just 11-14 mana?

finale of devastation for X=12 is 14 mana and gets a hasty blightsteel.

It seems like its a lower bar for channel but as long as that remains restricted I don't see how lowering the bar helps anything else or makes a deck on it's own. Unrestrict Channel?

@botvinik it needs a lot more colored mana than any other channel-sink

@blindtherapy That's a 2-card combo, though. I think the OP means 1-card kill. Otherwise vault/key sets the cap at 4 mana and all manner of other, better, cheaper combos exist.

@thewhitedragon69 it's not a 2 card combo any more than tinker is, because the 2nd card is in your deck.

@blindtherapy I guess that's true. It's still a bit situational in that if they have any X/2+ blocker, you drew BSC, etc., it won't kill outright, so it's not a strict 1-card win. I mean, tinker and oath and yawg bargain are in that similar vein of 1-card win, when you add in the "using other cards in the deck" caveat. I'm thinking the OP is looking for more of a 1-card like fireball that depends on nothing but the card itself and having the mana to cast it.

Yes technically Tendrils, Brainfreeze, and Grapeshot are cheaper 1-card kills provided the storm has been generated.

I was referring to a single card that requires mana and nothing else to instantly win.

@thewhitedragon69 said in [STX] Crackle with Power:

if they have any X/2+ blocker

the BSC will be a 23/23, so blockers typically won't matter

Views