2001 rules question: Illusionary mask

Hello, this is an odd question that I have been unable to find an answer for.

We are playing an old school format that includes every card up to and including those released in the Apocalypse expansion. From a B/R point of view this is right before Fact or fiction got the axe.

You can find more information about the format here.

The card in question is Illusionary mask. I did a lot of digging and found one of Oscar Tan's articles which states that the mask's wording at that point in time was:

Illusionary Mask - 2
Artifact
X: Put a creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your hand into play face down. If the face-down creature deals damage, is dealt damage, or becomes tapped, turn it face up. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

This leaves a bit to be desired, to say the least.

• If I cast swords to plowshares on the facedown creature does my opponent gain life and how much?

• What is the size of the facedown creature?

• If that creature is say, a Birds of paradise, can I tap it for mana while it is face down?

I also attempted to find Stephen Menendian's starcitygames article on Tainted Mask, but it seems to have disappeared into the void. As a side note in case he reads this, his article on GAT is also gone (How to clip a lotus and grow a tog)

Edit:
Crystal keep is somewhat online again. Here are some notes:

• This card allows you to put a creature card into play without playing it and while ignoring the colored mana requirements in its cost. [D'Angelo 2001/08/15]

• The creature is considered to be a 0/1 colorless creature with no name, creature type, expansion symbol, or abilities, and a mana cost of 0. None of the true characteristics of the card apply. This is true as long as it is face down. [CompRules 2001/07/23 - 504.2]

• The creature enters play face down, so none of its "comes into play" abilities will trigger or have any effect. [CompRules 2001/07/23 - 504.2]

• The controller may turn it face up any time that player has priority. This action does not go on the stack. [CompRules 2001/07/23 - 504.3]

• When turned face up, the creature regains its full characteristics. [CompRules 2001/07/23 - 504.4]

• The creature's "comes into play" abilities (and any other abilities relating to the creature coming into play) do not trigger when it turns face up. [CompRules 2001/07/23]

last edited by bigbadevil

@john-cox
That's not the article I was looking for. He once wrote an article on the original GAT deck, the article you linked to is from a much later period 🙂

So it’s not a 2/2 because morph hasn’t been established. And based on the card text, simply targeting the card isn’t enough to reveal the creature. I think 0/1 makes the most logical sense, but that is making assumptions.

Maybe go with “undefined”, and once it’s exiled by plow you can gain life equal to the exiled creatures power?

Views