[STX] Octavia, Living Thesis

0_1617728142963_337be200-9576-4ef7-a02c-458d8897fafa-image.png

Technically this is in the commander decks for Strixhaven and not the set proper.

Card is utterly gigantic and basically has hexproof unless your spells are uncounterable. I have no idea how realistic it would be to get 8 spells in the bin and have UU lying around, and it would likely preclude you from using flashback, delve, etc, but it really seems like a worthwhile reward for reaching those goals. Outside of Gravetroll or tombscouring yourself I'm not sure if there would be any reasonable way to get this going earlier than turn 3 though, which may kill it, but that delve whale from IKO is seeing play in legacy now so it makes me wonder.

At the least it is a very cool card.

Tome Scour seems like an enabler - and has been used in dredgish decks for Modern. Creatures that mill your own cards like Hedron Crab can come into play fast and mill 6 of your own with a fetch on turn 2. With crab and 2 fetches, you can mill 12, have 3 mana open to drop this guy and cast ancestral/BS to make your crab an 8/8 on turn 3 (turn 2 with sapphire or lotus). Follow up with time walk and you have a 3-turn kill!

The UU mana cost is a bit iffy but is seems a hell of a lot better than ghoyf and it can be pitched so Leo decks probably want it. The cost has a bit of tension with DRS but 8 cards in the yard is not that hard especially with wastelands which most versions of the deck I have seen run and the 4c variants with dack will find it an even easier task.

Edit: Everything I said above is insane I missed instant or sorcery card on my first read and only realized because I was thinking about how bad a hexproof 8/8 with better delve was going to be for non vintage formats. I keep the the comment only to demonstrate the hubris of man.

last edited by Botvinik

I can see this being a nice side-win/plan C in a breach/freeze deck. Land, mox, mox, cantrip, freeze yourself for 15...next turn island, this.

last edited by Thewhitedragon69

Way too much work for questionable reward. At the end it can be blocked by an elemental/monk/thopter. Could see play as a singleton in some lists, but I'd possibly play forager.

I think this cards biggest potential isn't a vanilla 8/8 for UU, its the fact you can make any other creature into an 8/8. This and 2 tokens and 2 cantrips is 24 damage. Turning every instant/sorcery into an 8/8 threat (if you have the creatures ofc), seems very very strong. Even eot Snappy or turning a man land into an 8/8 for 1-2 mana is insane value.

@serracollector Problem is that the more creatures you play, the less spells you have and the harder it is to actually get this into play (and it's already not easy). A 8/8 that basically can't be killed should be enough by itself, making an extra 8/8 sounds like win-more.

@wagner Unless you play something like young pyromancer that lives in a xerox shell and poops targets for the 8/8 trigger.

I kinda like the idea of a hedron crab/fastbond deck that has the plan B of milling yourself to crap out a turn 3 Octavia and then swing with a crab/octopus army on turn 4. The FB/crab deck has crabs, a couple enchantments, and the rest of the deck is lands and instants like counters/draw/crop rot. You can run a single Octavia to tutor for.

last edited by Thewhitedragon69

Not sure it this is any kind of tier card in Vintage, but I like it and it looks like fun to play. I just pre-ordered them and I plan on playing them in one of my Vintage fun decks.

Views