0_1617110529585_1dc5023c-3423-4f75-80b4-8c3dc97d9675-image.png

This card shuts down Monastery Mentor. I have been waiting for a card that just stops the dumb enter the battlefield triggers and this cards stops a lot of them. This card also wrecks dredge.

This card doesn’t shut down Mentor. Mentor triggers on spells cast. Mox Emerald triggers Mentor while on the stack, not upon entering the battlefield.

last edited by LieNielsen

I wouldn't say that this wrecks Dredge. I think it stops exactly Prized Amalgam, so they still have lots of angles of attack.

@revengeanceful

I think he means the FKZ ETB trigger but even then you can usually win without it.

@botvinik Yeah, and hardly anyone plays the FKZ kill any more anyway.

last edited by revengeanceful

@revengeanceful if you even want a haste kill, there are multiple better options. the ones you could play to pitch to black or blue/green (kolaghan, maelstrom wanderer) aren't even effected by it.

This card doesn't stop neither of the things op says it does, but it CAN act as a Torpor Orb for your Phyrexian Dreadnoughts if you want it too - although probably just worse than Orb anyway
Is there any non-creature Vintage playable at the moment that has an ETB trigger for this to do anything againt it better than Orb?

last edited by fsecco

@fsecco said in [STX] Strict Proctor:

Is there any non-creature Vintage playable at the moment that has an ETB trigger for this to do anything againt it better than Orb?

i think i saw someone play an arcum's astrolabe in outcome once.

@fsecco

It is better vs mystic sanctuary
Spine of ish sah was a thing is stax for a bit
I think it stops the showdown of the scalds trigger
It keeps elves from drawing from the 6/6 trample when a creature ETBs guy who was played as a one of at some point
It makes rest in peace not exile graveyards which is actually horrific anti-synergy
It turns off that terrible combo deck that was a meme for a while which tries to win with the desert that pings on ETB and fastbond crucible (Edit: actually this one does not work as part of the combo generates infinite mana)
Soul guide lantern will not exile the one card on etb anymore
I am out of ideas now

last edited by Botvinik

@botvinik said in [STX] Strict Proctor:

I think it stops the showdown of the scalds trigger

nope. it enters with a counter, and the counter being put on it triggers the exiling of the top 4 cards.

@botvinik so I guess just Mystic Sanctuary then? So yeah, it's not worth it.

@fsecco said in [STX] Strict Proctor:

@botvinik so I guess just Mystic Sanctuary then? So yeah, it's not worth it.

We could also evaluate a new card in the context of deck creation possibilities, rather than boxing it in to the current meta. Although new cards can be evaluated based on their effect on the current meta, that's not the only purpose of evaluating new cards.

For example, this also works with Phyrexian Dreadnought and Lotus Field. Now, would I create a deck with either card and play it in vintage? Lotus Field probably not, Phyrexian Dreadnought maybe (I've always liked the card.) The point is that I picked two random cards outside of the current vintage "meta" that have interesting synergy with this newly spoiled card.

There are hundreds of cards with ETB triggers. Most of those probably aren't going to appear in Top 8 decks, but I think it's worthwhile (at least for deck creators,) to see what's within the realm of possibility.

@horologium

I addresses the Dreadnought issue in my first post. Torpor Orb is just better, that's why we went looking for non-creature cards that this could help. But Dreadnought isn't good enough for Vintage and I feel this effect isn't either.

Lotus Field already has Blood Sun, which seems better because it's more disruptive against other opponents, draws a card and makes Field come into play untapped. My point was just that it didn't do what op thought it did and that unless we find a card that wins the game if you counter its ETB, I don't think this is good at all.

Views