[STX] Some spicy new commands

0_1613770347430_4c367b53-ef5b-45b7-9f85-aeb8dbb3a4d8-image.png 0_1613770356744_e21708a8-2436-4d67-9460-60ba4fe54a31-image.png

There technically 5 of them but these 2 seemed like the most format relevant.

Quandrix is pitchable to force and vigor and has what I think of as 3 relevant modes. At 3 mana it is on the weaker side for the effects but you are paying for versatility. I think countering a Oath or key or something while also bounding somebodies Oko is going to be the most common play, and actually works pretty well with your Oko's -5 if you ever do that.

Witherblooms first mode is almost always on unless you are under a leyline and can power the yard, has some good targets for removal, and can snipe a 1 toughness dude here and there. 2 mana Sorcery is a tougher sell but again the versatility is there and it is almost always going to be a 2 for 1 when you do get the window to play it.

All 4 modes of Quandrix are relevant.

The +1/+1 counters allow for combat tricks, which can matter in some matchups. They also allow for pushing the last points of damage to an opponent or a planeswalker.

The graveyard trick can slow down a dredge deck, or mess up a Snapcaster/Deathrite/Yawgmoth’s Will/Lurrus/Arcanist/Breach. Reordering the library can also thwart Mystical Tutor/Vampiric Tutor/Mystic Sanctuary.

last edited by dshin

@dshin said in [STX] Some spicy new commands:

All 4 modes of Quandrix are relevant.
The +1/+1 counters allow for combat tricks, which can matter in some matchups. They also allow for pushing the last points of damage to an opponent or a planeswalker.
The graveyard trick can slow down a dredge deck, or mess up a Snapcaster/Deathrite/Yawgmoth’s Will/Lurrus/Arcanist/Breach. Reordering the library can also thwart Mystical Tutor/Vampiric Tutor/Mystic Sanctuary.

I think the counters are not useless, but I see that as much more of a corner case in a lot of lists. You can very much use this card without even having targets for the counters in your deck.

It all seems awfully mana inefficient to me but Fire/Ice has seen play for years and most of the modes on these are better than that so hard to say.

last edited by Botvinik

I don't think any of these are good enough. The blue/red one is probably the best, and even then it's arguably just worse than Izzet Charm.
This black/green would be playable if an instant, but as it is the flexibility is not worth the sorcery speed to make it better than Abrupt or Assassin's Trophy.

last edited by fsecco

The other issue is 3 is actually full of scary things like mentor oko dack trinisphere and hullbreacher.

Views