I did not see a link here for this, so I am adding it

https://www.mtgcast.com/podcasts/so-many-insane-plays

SMIP is back with the 100th episode.

Holy moly! 8 hours of podcast! Looking forward to this one.

What ever happened to their set reviews? I haven't seen one since Ikoria. Having an Alpha set review instead is basically mocking their inability to keep up with the format.

@ok-boomer

Yeah. Steve and Kevin’s tiny brains “can’t handle” reviewing so many ugly cards.

@lienielsen

But it’s a Vintage podcast. Old School, Middle School, and Premodern were created for the people that have an antiquated view of how the game “should” look and play.

I’ve listened to the first couple of hours of this podcast and I’ve become more excited about Vintage than I’ve been in a while. I really hope we get to revisit some of these nostalgic formats of the past, but I’m also open to the idea of playing modern Vintage again and embracing what comes next!

@ok-boomer

Premodern was created with the intention of capturing a format type and experience that is lacking in modern MTG formats. There is no claim that it is "more correct' or "they way it should be played".

Part 3 and 4 dropped earlier this week. Highly recommend giving it a listen. Alpha is such an amazing set

You can listen to them on the MTG Cast podcast. The SMIP podcast is not getting all of the content for some reason. It is really interesting content and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes how Stephen and Kevin review cards.

Steve, Kevin please do set review for Arabian Nights!

They burned quite a bit of relevancy to put out an exceptionally long podcast that really doesn’t offer much for the people that have been playing Vintage for the past year. It was self-congratulatory at best and too far of a departure from previous episodes.

April 27th is the one year anniversary of their last contemporary podcast episode. Hopefully they’ll release the Core Set 2021, Jumpstart, Zendikar Rising, Commander Legends, Kaldheim, and Strixhaven set reviews sooner rather than later. Maybe an Eternal Weekend prediction and review episode too.

@wubbtub I have purchased cards for all of the sets for Vintage since the Pandemic started. I do not think any set review was needed for Vintage.

Vintage has more or less stagnated for several months. The re-release of Lurrus into the format only made Breach slightly better and more or less the format is stale.

Strixhaven is another under powered set mostly for Commander players with a few decent Modern cards. I do not see any need to review this set or the last Zendikar.

Commander Legends had a brief impact and the Eternal Glory podcast covered that very well.

Overall, I'm not sure I care about set reviews anymore for Vintage. I'd like to hear more on theory and interesting scenarios. I'd like to figure out how to shake things up a bit.

Personally, I'd love to have a podcast with @chubbyrain1 and
imactuallylv1 cooking up random brews over looking at the same dumb stale decks and how they get better or worse with more Commander oriented cards in the format.

last edited by moorebrother1

@wubbtub said in So Many Insane Plays - 100:

They burned quite a bit of relevancy to put out an exceptionally long podcast that really doesn’t offer much for the people that have been playing Vintage for the past year. It was self-congratulatory at best and too far of a departure from previous episodes.

April 27th is the one year anniversary of their last contemporary podcast episode. Hopefully they’ll release the Core Set 2021, Jumpstart, Zendikar Rising, Commander Legends, Kaldheim, and Strixhaven set reviews sooner rather than later. Maybe an Eternal Weekend prediction and review episode too.

This might be a bit too harsh, but otherwise I agree. Kevin Cron excitedly talking about how often a card got reprinted gets boring after even an hour.

Views