I have been playing a fair number of games with a oath of druids recently and have been having significant issues beating shops due to the constant presence of karakas and the not infrequent spyglasses. This resulted in me choosing to cut one of the sideboard grudges for the alternative oath threat you see in the title. I have found this to be absolutely tremendous both in terms of effectiveness and amusingness. So my question is why don’t I see BOP in anyone else’s side boards?

@botvinik Because the card is pretty bad. It becomes a board wipe sometimes, but is usually a 5/5 bear at best when you get an early oath trigger. It can also be shot for 2 with ballista before it gets any counters when its "blow up the board" effect goes on the stack. Also, it kills your own oath, stopping future triggers if they answer BoP. It'd be much more effective to simply run your own spyglasses to stop Karakas' ability, strip/wastes, or a superior non-legendary creature like Blightsteel colossus, Inkwell Leviathan, Blazing Archon, or one of a bajillion other threats.

I am having golos stax problems specifically so another big beater that gets stuck under the bridge has not proven effective. I chose BOP over the spyglass because oath acts as the tutor rather than needing a separate tutor effect or relying on drawing a 1 of.

last edited by Botvinik

@botvinik Then use this:

Archon of Valor's Reach 4GW
Creature — Archon (5/6)
Flying, vigilance, trample

As Archon of Valor's Reach enters the battlefield, choose artifact, enchantment, instant, sorcery, or planeswalker.

Players can't cast spells of the chosen type.

It's immune to karakas, castable, bigger body if you get a turn 2 oath trigger, has evasion, and locks them out of casting any other spell for the rest of the game. They'll soon have 5+ cards in hand to get around bridge when all their spheres, moxen, etc are stuck in their hand. The only challenge would be if they land a 6+ power Stonecoil before you oath...but that should be answerable by the Force of Vigors you should be packing.

Archon has the added bonus of being good in multiple matchups, like naming instant vs Xerox or PO (which consequently protects Archon from bounce/removal as well)

last edited by Thewhitedragon69

Thank you I will try it that does seem better, I will test and share the results.

last edited by Botvinik
    Views