0_1604416219032_86a4a9e9-76f9-4bb2-aaaf-a09a9b8c6a24-image.png

You guys remember way back when, in the time long ago, where they restricted Narset. I can go ahead and assure you that if your deck wants that effect they will now be able to have at least 2 of them.

It is hard to believe that this would not see some amount of play. The fact that it makes you mana rocks is non trivial as well, since we already know from Narset that just shutting off draws for 3 is very good.

Also works in the Notion thief slot, for one less mana of one less color, and is out of gutshot and wrenn and six ping range.

It's too early but this seems like the kind of card that will not only be restricted but will also be a problem even as a restricted card because it is doubling this effect for most players now. Time will tell.

This card is really amazing. Steals the draw AND makes a bunch of future Elks!? Sign me up.

I'd say this is just better than Notion Thief. The effect is worse, but the mana is so much easier that it makes a ton of difference. Usually just denying the draws to your opponent is already good enough. Just a note that this static is better than Narset, since it's not 1 per turn but just the draw step.

This plus a draw 7 not only nets you more cards, but the mana to cast them while denying opp draws. haha. That's silly.

@serracollector said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

This plus a draw 7 not only nets you more cards, but the mana to cast them while denying opp draws. haha. That's silly.

I think in the context of wheel effects this is actually better by a not unsubstantial amount. There is a diminishing return on drawing cards for a lot of decks, where as mana you can use or store for later turns is very relevant towards casting those spells and more wheels you may have drawn.

Splitting hairs though, since this one is mono colored, cheaper, and bigger as well it changes the whole dynamic. The bigger play is likely not going to be when you get them with a wheel so much as when you flash this out in response to brainstorm and blow them out.

I wish wizards would just cool their jets for one f***ing minute and stop trying to print things into vintage playability for a while. It would be really cool (at least for me) to play a format that does not need a new restriction every set. Not saying this is going to get restricted (although I suspect it will).

Also this could have been white ramp and it would be in white flavor because it’s a hate bear but no only blue can have good cards.

If you can counter ancestral/brainstorm or the like, you play it for free. This is so strong that could push more ppl toward decks that do not draw as much as blue does.

and no, it can't be white. but it could have been red or black or bicolor with those abilities.

@ilpeggiore said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

If you can counter ancestral/brainstorm or the like, you play it for free. This is so strong that could push more ppl toward decks that do not draw as much as blue does.
and no, it can't be white. but it could have been red or black or bicolor with those abilities.

I disagree that this could not be in White. Smothering Tithe is in white and it plays in the same ballpark. Likely would not have been a Merfolk then but small price to pay. Hell this could have been an colorless eldrazi and made 0/1s as well at it would probably be better all around.

Being that the card is in blue though, I think it provides a strange tension since if you are playing blue you very much want to be playing draw spells anyway and counters to protect them, so I do not imagine draw spells going away in any real number. You may have seen this if this card was in a color that does not have to make that choice like white or green.

@protoaddict said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

Smothering Tithe

no, tithe tax you. Breacher steals from you. Black n blue steal, red pillages you and sometimes mess with you.

Yes an eldrazi would have been fine. And yes, I agree that being in another color, even white, would be great.

Did they create this :

1. by accident, not thinking at all about vintage and not remembering about narset ?
  2. while anticipating to restrict it, just bringing us a new singleton toy ?
  3. trying to nerf "I draw a lot" blue decks ?*
  4. trying to boost tempo blue decks (which I guess don't need much help) ?

This and the black one that punishes tutors are directly designed for Commander where they are still powerful but since you get targeted by 3 players for playing it, it is far less of a slam dunk play. Since WOTC does not care about formats that require the reserve list like vintage, I think it is safe to assume they just thought they would restrict it.

The format is very saturated with good 3+ drops in control at this point so I don't think it'll have a big impact, but it obviously synergies nicely with Dack Fayden and everything else that combo'ed with Notion Thief / Narset. So there is potential.

Your opponent can kill this immediately though without you being able to recoup value, unlike Narset.

@vaughnbros said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

Your opponent can kill this immediately though without you being able to recoup value, unlike Narset.

The presence of Flash on the card makes it substantially easier to get rewarded for playing it and adds the extra utility of being able to block and and trade with some other stuff which is marginal but real. Narset was never a surprise so people would not play cards into it, this is. Totally different dynamic. It is far more comparable to Notion thief save for the mana investment which is why the Narset comparison keeps coming up.

Since Narset is a 1 of now, I don't think her being better or worse is really relevant to the power level of this card since we know people were playing more than 1 when they could and they would again if given the option.

Blue deck plays from 4 to 9 cards able to draw them 2 or more cards.

If you can connect this one :

• your opponenet do not draw 2
  • you spent 2U but got 2 tokens back
  • you get a 3/2

in the end you spent U to play a 3/2 with a strong ability and hymn to tourach the opponent. Quite good.
Now the opponent has to get rid of it before playing other draw cards / activate Dack.

I do not know how many you can play but it can devasting.

The biggest blowout is to flash it in response to a Dack Fayden activation, and they discard 2, you get a treasure, and then a creature to attack Fayden.

@vaughnbros said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

The biggest blowout is to flash it in response to a Dack Fayden activation, and they discard 2, you get a treasure, and then a creature to attack Fayden.

Do you feel like that is a bigger blowout than slamming this in response to a wheel of fortune which will leave you with 7 cards, them with 0, and you with 7 free mana you can spend whenever you like? Cause I don't.

@protoaddict
Timetwister or Wheel of Misfortune are the best draw sevens to use this against I think.

@john-cox said in [CMR] Hullbreacher:

Timetwister or Wheel of Misfortune are the best draw sevens to use this against I think.

Any resolved draw 7 is going to be a blowout with this in the same way it works with Narset. I would contend maybe even worse since you have mana to spend afterwards

@protoaddict

Sure, but I was talking about cards that are actually played.

Views