I have not played a lot of Vintage due to the lock downs with the pandemic mostly because I am a paper player. I do have a MTGO account and I tried to play but the companion bans and errata really left me cold.

When I saw that there would be an Eternal Weekend event on MTGO I was very skeptical. I am not a fan of MTGO to put it lightly and I did not want to buy or rent a bunch of cards to play competitively. I had a pretty rough week at work and I was really looking for a fun outlet so I read the Eternal Weekend details and I saw that you were given a "god" account when you bought a ticket.

So, I decided to give it a go. I had a lot of fun and I have some thoughts on why this weekend was fun when I normally do not enjoy MTGO very much.

There were a lot of people playing a lot of decks!

That's it, that's the big revelation. I did not have to play leagues to learn a deck or figure out the meta. I could just play pick up games and there were people playing at all levels and all kinds of decks. It was a blast.

I do kind of keep up my MTGO account and I login and play from time to time but I do not play enough to want a rental account and I do not get the most expensive cards except for a few odd exceptions.

Being able to focus on the a deck and just prepare was awesome.

Now the downside, it's actually not MTGO. But it is the fact that I could not leave my house and play. I have 3 kids. I cannot really escape them in my house and my wife will only tolerate me being away in another room for so long. This is a me problem but it is a prime driver to why I enjoy paper magic.

I get to leave, I go somewhere and I usually see people I know or make new friends.

It's a negative but overall, this weekend was a huge positive. I wish Wizards would do something like this more often, maybe quarterly. It is a great way to get a crowd of people playing Vintage. It is overall just good for Vintage.

last edited by moorebrother1