Having a bad land on one side as an option is cute, and it adds marginal value to a card if you were already going to play it for effect, but I cannot imagine it pushing it over the edge because of the modal, at least not in vintage.

In modern I play living end which is a low land count list, so a deck like that, or like beltcher where you want to not hit land, could be interested in these cards, but I'm skeptical.

@protoaddict This card is going to be apeshit in Modern and Pioneer though, if it works like I think. Play it for mana to get up to Narset (a 4x in those formats) cost, then on your opponent's next EoT, flipcast it to draw your hand size + 1 and wipe out your opponent's hand? Yes please.

@Thewhitedragon69 this doesn't effect opponent. It is not a wheel/twister efx

it also probably doesn't let you cast the spell after playing it as a land. you probably pick a side and play that side; they're split cards.
lands that enter tapped and tap for red aren't particularly good at casting narset, but that's another subject.

Ahh - I got caught up in the "windfall" comparison, so thought it was a windfall + 1 card effect. Reading is key.

IF this worked as I thought, I was assuming the R would pay for the colorless portion of narset and you'd flipcast "windfall".

So does anyone know how these definitely work? I'd have to imagine it's a land that can be flipcast later and not a one-time choice. Otherwise, why put any reference of the "other side's" ability? It would just be a 2-sided card like transform, no?

@thewhitedragon69 said in Valakut Awakening:

So does anyone know how these definitely work? I'd have to imagine it's a land that can be flipcast later and not a one-time choice. Otherwise, why put any reference of the "other side's" ability? It would just be a 2-sided card like transform, no?

it's likely so you can see both sides from only looking at one side of the physical card; normal transform cards don't need these because they always start on the same side, but these can be played as either. given that the same DFC mechanic is used for lands that are just "tap for blue" on one side and "tap for red" on the other side, i don't think it's supposed to switch from one to the other once played, because then those would just be duals.

@blindtherapy Maybe they can flip at the beginning of your turn or something - like a mode you can reset each upkeep. I dunno. It just doesn't make sense to me that if a mode is permanently set you'd need any reminder of what the other side (forever unusable) is. To me, the fact that you get a constant reminder that the card has a flip side and what it's use/cost/type is implies that you'll be able to access that flipped side somehow at a later time. WotC should just clarify, so we can evaluate cards and not speculate in the dark.

They have confirmed that when you play them you pick a side and the card is what it is. If you ever bring it back to hand from the grave or play and go to play it again you can make the decision again, but once its in play as a land you cannot just decide to cast it, etc.

I believe the side with 1 triangle on it is the dominant side, in that it is the side you put in your deck/record on your decklists, but that is still a little fuzzy. If it's not the question that comes up right away is can you include 4 Valakut Awakening and 4 Valakut Stoneforge in your deck, so I would imagine it has to be no.

Its probably a good singleton with Life from the Loam, but it seems pretty slow.

Did no one bother to go look at the WotC mechanic explanations? It's literally where this card was spoiled.

Most of the rules that govern how transforming double-faced cards apply to the new modal variety. While a modal double-faced card is in your hand, your graveyard, or exile, it has the characteristics of its front face only. So, if you're searching your library for a land card, you can't find a modal double-faced card whose front face isn't a land card. If an effect allows you to cast instant spells from your graveyard, you could cast Valakut Awakening, but you couldn't play Valakut Stoneforge.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/zendikar-rising-mechanics-2020-09-01

last edited by Wagner

@wagner said in Valakut Awakening:

Did no one bother to go look at the WotC mechanic explanations? It's literally where this card was spoiled.

It was spoiled (leaked?) before then by a YouTube video showing the card and what it did. Then that video was taken down and all that was left was screenshots and people talking about what they thought the video had said.

This card is bad. Winds of Change is not played, this is worse.

HOWEVER - the idea of lands that are not lands is huge business for Charbelcher and Rogue Hermit (Oops all Spells). Both decks can now run much more reliable and normal manabases. Heck, the blue spell/lands pitch to Force of Will as well!

Since Rogue Hermit essentially pays 2B for Undercity Informer and threatens to win on the spot, is that deck about to get better? Does Zendikar do for that deck what Thassa did for Doomsday?

@maximumcdawg so far all the lands that have a spell on the front enter tapped. i would expect this to continue to be the case, possibly excepting a colorless spell/land. waiting a turn cycle seems like something belcher and oops would not like to do.

edit: unless oops will run an off-color land that enters untapped. 1 is free, i guess0_1599091679225_78e71fbf-9806-4476-88a6-62f77de0488b-image.png

last edited by BlindTherapy
    Views