[JMP] Scholar of the Lost Trove

0_1592535039052_b777bf1b-6045-4a4b-b543-80f79f35ce56-image.jpeg

Scholar of the Lost Trove
5UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying

When Scholar of the Lost Trove enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant, sorcery, or artifact card from your graveyard without paying tis mana cost. If an instant or sorcery spell cast this way would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
5/5

Well, so Oath turns into Tinker, but also could turn into Yawg Will or pretty much anything. This seems pretty cool.

last edited by fsecco

Very interesting, but probably more cute than lethal. You can try to win on the spot by casting some absurd sorcery from your graveyard (e.g. Enter the Infinite) though there's the danger that you will whiff, or that your opponent can counter your haymaker. Or you can just play the usual strong Vintage spells (including Yawgmoth's Will) and plan to Scholar purely for value. The issue here though is that it's unclear why Scholar is better than Sun Titan for Underworld Breach.

@evouga the key is Artifact. I have no idea if there's a game breaking Artifact for it though. Bolas's Citadel is just worse than Grisel I guess. But maybe there's a high cost Artifact that can break this.

The best card to recast with the first one is Time Walk.

This is pretty much like Rune-Scarred Demon, which I’ve always thought was pretty good.

@desolutionist The best spell to cast with the first one is Ephemerate, THEN Time Walk 😄 😄 😄

@brass-man casting ephemerate off this trigger is pretty bad, as rebound only happens when you cast something from your hand

Sharuum could get back artifact.

I think this is the first creature card that has no conditions on flashing back an Instant/Sorcery for free though.

Its also blue. So I think its probably Dredge playable.

Eerie Ultimatum you can resurrect your entire graveyard.

Biorhythm can instant kill an opponent.

Time Walk, Ancestral, Force of Vigor, ect are other cards the deck typically can support and cast.

Not sure what configuration, but this seems like a better option for DR given these choices.

Views