Several cards banned in all formats for racist depiction, text, or combination thereof

From the phrasing, it's unclear whether Invoke Prejudice is also on that list, as it is the subject of the first two paragraphs.

Hopefully this means we can get these effects functionally reprinted with more reasonable names.

The text may be ambiguous but it's obvious that the intent is to also ban Invoke Prejudice, since it's by far the worst of the lot when it comes to insensitive depiction of racism. I’m frankly surprised anyone thought it was ever a good idea to send it to print.

What's the story behind Cleanse, Stone-Throwing Devils, and Crusade? These don't seem significantly worse than the usual MtG fantasy art. Or is it the names and not the art that are objectionable?

last edited by evouga

OS is not sanctioned, being the only format where these cards matter, so that banning essentially has no effect.

I'm sure this topic is getting heated elsewhere on the internet, but I think banning from play was an overstep. Why not just say "we aren't printing these anymore." I feel like the cards have become martyred now for all the wrong reasons.

Not to mention, this is such a slippery slope for interpretation with an infinite gradient of offensiveness.

last edited by joshuabrooks

I'm very confused. Why is Jihad and Crusade wrong, but Wrath of God, Armeggedon, and Demonic Tutor are okay?

@serracollector said in Several cards banned in all formats for racist depiction, text, or combination thereof:

I'm very confused. Why is Jihad and Crusade wrong, but Wrath of God, Armeggedon, and Demonic Tutor are okay?

The best I can come up with is that the fact that they pump white creatures specifically put them in the crosshairs.

I'm locking this thread, not because of any post so far, but because it's a dangerous, tricky subject. I find myself under-qualified to moderate a thread on this topic, and I won't risk TMD standing for something it shouldn't, just because of my own limitations here.

I believe it's a good thing that WotC is making an effort to address problems of race within the game, though this particular step is insufficient.

Views