There’s been an absolutely broken Goblin card revealed for m21.

Conspicuous Snoop {R}{R}
Creature — Goblin Rogue
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may cast Goblin spells from the top of your library.
As long as the top card of your library is a Goblin card, Conspicuous Snoop has all activated abilities of that card.
2/2

As someone who likes playing Goblins in Vintage, I will be trying this card!

They already found a number of recruiter strings that turn this into autowin but I'm not sure how relevant they are in vintage. Most if not all of them require Kiki-Jiki and are disruptable.

I'm actually not sure how to look up all the goblins and changlings that have activated abilities in one search. The notable ones are of course prospector, Mogg fanatic and variants, and Kiki-Jiki.

You can win for RRR by stacking Snoop, Prospector, Kiki-Jiki, Fanatic. If you have more mana you can stack more Snoops and/or Prospectors to prevent your opponent from completely disrupting your combo by countering the first one. They can also stop you if they kill Snoop in response to casting Prospector or activating the Kiki-Jiki ability, but removal is probably less of a concern than counterspells.

The main issue IMO is that the opponent can simply focus on countering the Goblin Recruiters, leaving you with a shambolic aggro deck. You could try using countermeasures like Xantid Swarm but the deck is starting to look very fun but very casual.

Is there a way to play Snoop for the value of its Future Sight ability, in a deck built for aggro rather than combo, using it to keep deploying threats at a rapid clip even after you've exhausted your initial hand?

Yeah the cool thing about goblins is you have that combo potential but also can just play dudes and attack with some mild disruption like Null Rod. As far as activated abilities go: there's Krenko Mob Boss.

Earwig Squad comes to mind as something that's been good for me in Vintage. There's some good goblins for destroying artifacts/eldrazi.

Nevermind Goblins can still just play like a turn 3/4 aggro deck on the back of Lackey, Piledriver, and Warchief. If only it had Chalice.

last edited by Guest

@evouga said in Conspicuous Snoop:

You can win for RRR by stacking Snoop, Prospector, Kiki-Jiki, Fanatic.

you need a card in the stack between snoop and kiki to give snoop haste. this takes 1 more mana.

You could try using countermeasures like Xantid Swarm but the deck is starting to look very fun but very casual.

i would expect 4x cavern of souls.

I'm waiting patiently for "Force of Future Sight"

This is the best version I've found, and you only need 2 cards in hand to fire it off.

T2 Snoop
T3 Boggart Harbringer putting Kiki-Jiki on top
Make the snoop clone itself an arbitrarily large number, then make it finally copy the Harbringer again, putting Mogg Fanatic or Sling-Gang Lieutenant on top of your library and sac them all.

last edited by Dstinct

@dstinct said in Conspicuous Snoop:

This is the best version I've found, and you only need 2 cards in hand to fire it off.

T2 Snoop
T3 Boggart Harbringer putting Kiki-Jiki on top
Make the snoop clone itself an arbitrarily large number, then make it finally copy the Harbringer again, putting Mogg Fanatic or Sling-Gang Lieutenant on top of your library and sac them all.

You can do this with Recruiter as well. All roads lead to Kiki Jiki though.

What is the minimum number of Kikki-Jikki needed for the deck to function?

I think you want the aggro plan as strong as possible and this is just another angle to sometimes Vintage people out

@ajfirecracker Modern uses a glumgully combo with the persist goblin and a sac outlet (altar of dementia or prospector). You could run this guy and the kiki combo as a non-grave-dependent combo. You are already running matrons, recruiters, and sling-gang anyway, so you aren't really adding too many slots extra to make this an extra "oops, win" combo.

@ajfirecracker said in Conspicuous Snoop:

What is the minimum number of Kikki-Jikki needed for the deck to function?

I have to believe 3. 2 and you run the risk of them being in hand.

I wonder if this guy is not just better as a value engine. Built in goblin future sight + a deck full of gobbos can really flood the table. You could prob find a food chain combo as well.

@desolutionist said in Conspicuous Snoop:

Yeah the cool thing about goblins is you have that combo potential but also can just play dudes and attack with some mild disruption like Null Rod. As far as activated abilities go: there's Krenko Mob Boss.

Earwig Squad comes to mind as something that's been good for me in Vintage. There's some good goblins for destroying artifacts/eldrazi.

Nevermind Goblins can still just play like a turn 3/4 aggro deck on the back of Lackey, Piledriver, and Warchief. If only it had Chalice.

I see no reason you wouldn't just play old-fashioned Grixis Toolbox Goblins with countermagic, red blasts, the 3 cmc armies in a can, and Earwig Squad. That devotes the same dedicated six combo cards (4x Snoop, 2x Kiki) that Oath does. Grixis also gives you Vampiric Tutor and Imperial Seal.

Also, I think this is a VERY consistent turn 2 kill. Eg. Turn 1 Recruiter (Snoop, Torch Courier, Kiki), Turn 2 play Snoop, Play Courier, Sac Courier, Go Infinite, Copy Recruiter to put Fanatic on top. I think some combination of Lightning Bolt and countermagic disrupts most of the disruption, too.

last edited by AmbivalentDuck

@ambivalentduck said in Conspicuous Snoop:

Also, I think this is a VERY consistent turn 2 kill. Eg. Turn 1 Recruiter (Snoop, Torch Courier, Kiki), Turn 2 play Snoop, Play Courier, Sac Courier, Go Infinite, Copy Recruiter to put Fanatic on top. I think some combination of Lightning Bolt and countermagic disrupts most of the disruption, too.

You need RRR on turn 2, which isn't necessarily a consistent turn 2 line of play. I think you need Mox Ruby to facilitate the turn 2 win, because if you opened with Black Lotus, you'd have cracked in T1 for the Recruiter.

I'm not sure how consistent it is when you look at all the red mana that combo needs. I guess because you are playing off the top you can run LED but you get a lot of moxen that cannot contribute to what you need and you cannot willy nilly fetch because you are stacking the top

If you want to go all in on this you could do like, pitch goblins I guess. 4 FOW, mental misstep, 4 Pact of negation, maybe Maybe mindbreak trap or Disrupting shoal.

Friends and I have been testing mono red gob list. Basically an aggro list with red blast and null rod for disruption.

Snoop is a great value engine, and theres minimal deckspace requirement to run a copy of kiki and mogg fanatic.

We do not run ringleader or matron, both engines are too slow for vintage we've determined.

@tittliewinks22 said in Conspicuous Snoop:

Friends and I have been testing mono red gob list. Basically an aggro list with red blast and null rod for disruption.

Snoop is a great value engine, and theres minimal deckspace requirement to run a copy of kiki and mogg fanatic.

We do not run ringleader or matron, both engines are too slow for vintage we've determined.

Yes, I've also been testing a mono-red goblins list. I do run 1-of Ringleader and Matron, just because I like the flexibility. But they are a bit slower. I'm also running 4x Blood Moon as disruption, because if it hits the battlefield, it's exceptional.

What ramp are you running. I imagine:
1 lotus
1 mox ruby
1 led
0-1 lotus petal
X Simian spirit guide

Or is it even nessasary?

Views