[M21] Teferi, Master of Time

alt text

I can see this easily replacing JTMS in some of the big blue shells.

I mean... If we did not have such a glut of mono blue walkers at 4. Does not play well with fetches like Jace, but does gain loyalty faster on average at the cost of you speeding though your deck. The phasing seems much worse to me than bounce, and the ultimate is probably on par with Jace.

I think I'm still tipping my hat to Jace though, since his brainstorm can basically give you a new hand on the spot where as T-Dog here needs a little time to ramp up. The one big one though is he is better under a Narset.

Hilariously, he also can break you out of your opponent's Time Vault combo, if your opponent doesn't kill it quickly enough before it builds 10 loyalty.

That aside, I'm quite bearish on the 'walker. Both he and Dack loot 2 cards per turn cycle. Is the phasing ability better than Dack's artifact theft? How often is it useful to temporarily remove a single creature? I can see utility against Lavinia or problematic hatebears (though if you're resolving 4-mana Planeswalkers, probably Lavinia is not much of an issue for you.) And Jace just seems much better the vast majority of the time (i.e. whenever your opponent doesn't have Narset).

The craziest thing about this card is that there are 4 variants of the art, all slightly different. Its like being in Antiquities again.alt text

Because there are 4 variants of the regular and 4 variants of the special frame, it has to be more common than other mythics. I wonder what that will do to its value.

last edited by Dstinct

Hold on can we talk about the “Teferi’s Ageless Insight” card in your image there? It has me more excited than the Planeswalker. 4 mana is probably too much, sadly, but the effect seems completely busted (reminds me of Consecrated Sphinx)

@dstinct said in [M21] Teferi, Master of Time:

Because there are 4 variants of the regular and 4 variants of the special frame, it has to be more common than other mythics.

this doesn't necessarily follow. it's probably just as common as the other mythics, with 1 total copy per rare sheet, and the printers alternating between 4 sheets for the different teferis. or however they do things now that the showcase versions of cards also have a chance of showing up in packs.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but JTMS seems superior in almost every way.

Brainstorm each turn > Loot twice each turn
Bounce a creature > Phase out a creature
Game-winning ultimate > Take 2 turns

Yes, there are some subtleties that I'm ignoring here, but the new Teferi is pretty much strictly worse.

@blindtherapy said in [M21] Teferi, Master of Time:

this doesn't necessarily follow. it's probably just as common as the other mythics, with 1 total copy per rare sheet, and the printers alternating between 4 sheets for the different teferis. or however they do things now that the showcase versions of cards also have a chance of showing up in packs.

There are technically 9 versions of this Teferi card.
4 arts with standard frame
4 arts with alternate showcase frame
1 full bleed borderless frame

It's a bit much. As a competitive player it actually annoys me because rule one for me is if you have the same card in your deck more than one then you match the printing so you don't give extra information.

@dr-j I want to challenge this comparison a bit.

Looting is different from Brainstorming and doing it at instant speed is a very real difference to the game - consider Snapcaster Mage.

Phasing a creature out at instant speed allows for interesting combat tricks

While JTMS has a game winning ultimate, I have fought against it and won a few times. Taking 3 turns back to back will usually end a game of Vintage.

I think I like Teferi over JTMS in the current Vintage meta but that may just be my opinion.

last edited by moorebrother1

Maybe i missed some recent cards but that is quite surprising to see Phasing come back.

@moorebrother1 said in [M21] Teferi, Master of Time:

Looting is different from Brainstorming and doing it at instant speed is a very real difference to the game - consider Snapcaster Mage.

Agreed, looting is different from brainstorming; usually looting is inferior, unless you have some graveyard tricks, because you (often) see fewer cards and don't get card advantage. I think the lack of card advantage is the most important difference, one which is crucial for blue decks.

Phasing a creature out at instant speed allows for interesting combat tricks

Usually not relevant in a vintage blue deck, unless things have changed drastically since I last played.

While JTMS has a game winning ultimate, I have fought against it and won a few times. Taking 3 turns back to back will usually end a game of Vintage.

It sounds like you're presenting an exceptional case (wining versus the Jace ultimate) as a reason against it. The Jace ultimate will usually end a game of Vintage, too. Taking 2 extra turns requires other stuff to win with it. Admittedly, you probably will win if you get to this point, so the difference in value here isn't as great as the other points.

I think I like Teferi over JTMS in the current Vintage meta but that may just be my opinion.

By all means test it out and let us know!

last edited by Dr. J
    Views