Vintage 101: Vintage UNLEASHED!

Flash + 4 g probe+ 4 street w.+ new mullingan= gg turn 1 ......80% covered (force w...misdirection..pact...veil)

@babau cycle Nimble Obstructionist in response, you lose!

@babau said in Vintage 101: Vintage UNLEASHED!:

Flash + 4 g probe+ 4 street w.+ new mullingan= gg turn 1 ......80% covered (force w...misdirection..pact...veil)

It's funny because so many people respond to this idea with some deck they can't conceive of being beatable: Flash, Trini MUD, BDEV Delver, Tinker Combo, Channel Mirror etc. People have already been playing these decks, none of them is unbeatable.

This is a fun format where all the spells matter. It's exciting and engaging and there are plenty of decks to invent or reinvent. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

@grandpabelcher said in Vintage 101: Vintage UNLEASHED!:

@babau said in Vintage 101: Vintage UNLEASHED!:

It's funny because so many people respond to this idea with some deck they can't conceive of being beatable: Flash, Trini MUD, BDEV Delver, Tinker Combo, Channel Mirror etc. People have already been playing these decks, none of them is unbeatable.

This is a fun format where all the spells matter. It's exciting and engaging and there are plenty of decks to invent or reinvent. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Yeah I mean, what Nat says here is true. People have been actually playing games with these decks either via Cockatrice or MTGO. This is being figured out, and it sounds like everything is pretty on par which is really cool.

Honestly, if you think you have the killer deck for this format, please try it out against other decks from this format. There's more counterplay here than you might expect.

Yeah from what I've observed, these crazy turbo combo decks that people come up with are actually the most inconsistent and least likely to win. You're better off playing a deck with counterspells, artifact removal, graveyard hate, etc.

It's just like normal vintage with less: "Oh he got his 1-of Trinisphere this game, I guess I lose"

and more: "Oh he got one of his 4 Trinispheres, I'm glad I have a plan for getting around it"

It's a really cool idea and I'm glad it exists.

Thank you for featuring it.

I had not heard of these UX variants before this. This is amazing to me. Getting to play 4 PO with 4 Mind's Desire seems so fun. The control lover in me wants to dead set try a 4 Library of Alexandria Landstill deck in this crazy combo world as well. I need to get into this. Thanks!

There is a discord. Reach out to @GrandpaBelcher for the link. I'm always looking for pickup games on either MTGO or Cockatrice. You'll notice once you start building decks, you have to make tough choices since you can't fit everything you want. That's my favorite part about this format. Design matters and everything just isn't automatic.

I enjoyed playing this on stream and hope to continue doing so.

I know I have a reputation as a pro-restriction voice, but I actually think the Vintage Unleashed restriction list could be further reduced. The tutors haven't been as powerful in my experience since most of the key cards are unrestricted. The cantrips provide a similar level of consistency but also enable Forces and fuel Delve spells. It might be something to consider as the format develops.

Yeah I agree to an extent. I think it can be reduced to basically just power 8 + Demonic Tutor. (Unleashing Wheel and Twister).

I will say that Gush is clearly the best blue deck and Flash is clearly the best combo deck, so I can understand restricted Merchant Scroll.

I try not to fuss too much about it though because I'm just glad this exists.

Great article! I'm also loving the discussion in the comments. It goes to show the bad eggs aren't willing to actually talk about playing.

Views