B&R Announcement - June 1, 2020

Here we go again:
0_1590550121301_1698feed-e4da-4a22-a8ff-ba74d78c567a-image.png

If they are going to meaningfully nerf the Companion mechanic, I hope they undo the bans in Vintage and Legacy and allow Lurrus and Zirda to prove themselves within the context of the new rules.

If they nerf companions, all would be underwhelming cards in Vintage. Nerfed Lurrus costs too much/has too slow of an effect. He’s only good as the 8th card in your hand in the context of a fair Vintage meta.

Hopefully they follow the advice in my email and unrestrict at least 10 cards.

last edited by Guest

I disagree---I think Lurrus with a -1 hand size penalty is still completely busted in a Underworld Breach shell, and possibly other deck configurations as well.

The bonus card is icing on the cake but it's the ability to "wish" Lurrus into play at will once you're ready to combo off that makes him so strong.

To me, the only good three drop worth playing is Monastery Mentor and to a lesser extent, Narset. I love me some low mana curves.

Lurrus is better than Trinket Mage. But is he better than Dack Fayden?

last edited by Guest

If Lurrus was not banned and just removed as a companion I think he could see main deck play in any sort of grindy match or in storm. I could also imagine Zirda and Lutri as non companion includes here and there.

I think that them unbanning anything is a pipe dream, they would have mentioned it in this announcement. The only thing you maybe could hope for is a change to the companion rules themselves but even with that I don't think they would reverse a week old ban.

I really hope for a errata or the companion mechanic as a whole.
However regardless of the changes made, the thing that interests me the most is if they actually acknowledge the mistakes they made with releasing this mechanic.
I just really hat to see the 2019 War of the Spark until present era of design continue.

New Companion Rule:

Once per game, any time you could cast a sorcery (during your main phase when the stack is empty), you can pay 3 generic mana to put your companion from your sideboard into your hand. This is a special action, not an activated ability.

Ironically nerfs Drannith Magistrate the companion hate bear.

Views