SMIP 97: Theros Beyond Death Vintage Set Review

Our set review is live on both EC & MTGCast networks!

https://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-97-theros-beyond-death/

0:01:00: Announcements
0:02:40: Throne of Eldraine Report Card
0:27:15: Theros Beyond Death Mechanics
0:31:15: Underworld Breach
1:09:50: Thassa’s Oracle
1:23:32: Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
1:36:27: Ashiok, Nightmare Muse
1:45:13: Ox of Agonas
1:50:15: Kuneros, Hound of Athreos
1:57:44: Soul-Guide Lantern
2:13:09: Eidolon of Obstruction
2:19:53: Whirlwind Denial
2:28:46: Nadir Kraken
2:31:15: Kroxa, Titan of Death’s Hunger
Total runtime: 2:37:34
Show Notes
– Theros Beyond Death Visual Spoiler

Contact us at @ManyInsanePlays on Twitter or e-mail us at SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com.

Nice episode 🙂

The only cards that seem to have any real potential are Underworld Breach and Soul-Guide Lantern.

Breach is very exciting, although we'll have to see how widely it gets adopted.

Lantern to me doesn't feel head and shoulders above the other options, just a nice tool in the toolbox alongside Crypt, Relic, etc.

People have already been having success with thassa's oracle. Multiple 5-0's in dedicated combo decks with demonic consultation.

@ajfirecracker said in SMIP 97: Theros Beyond Death Vintage Set Review:

Nice episode 🙂

The only cards that seem to have any real potential are Underworld Breach and Soul-Guide Lantern.

Breach is very exciting, although we'll have to see how widely it gets adopted.

Lantern to me doesn't feel head and shoulders above the other options, just a nice tool in the toolbox alongside Crypt, Relic, etc.

An excerpt from this article that did more research than you did: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/vintage-101-alternative-thinking

alt text

Great show as always.

In your report card Steven asked for a similar card to stonecoil serpent for shops, and I was surprised that Endless One didn't come up. Although it is Eldrazi only, I think it is the most recent comparable card, utilizing the scaling ability for early and late deployment. It is also the baseline X/X for X that Steven asked for I believe.

About Underworld Breach, I really like the card, but I think you hyped up eachother too kuch. There us a lot of competition in the U-based Xerox variants for graveyard resources, and this uses up at least 6 if you want more than a regrowth. Between Snapcaster, Arcanist and the delve spells, I think there is too much competition for this resource to just slot in that easily.
Then again, I like the card, so maybe it diversifies this slot (or takes over). I am really curious about this card in the future and look forward to your nextvreport card to see the actual adoption rate.

Keep up the great work!

Views