@vaughnbros Pay 1, draw a card is still pretty hot.

However, Top is a pretty bad card to play in Shops in general since it has very little shuffle effects. You'd need to tweak the deck quite a bit to make it worthwhile.

@wagner said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

However, Top is a pretty bad card to play in Shops in general since it has very little shuffle effects. You'd need to tweak the deck quite a bit to make it worthwhile.

Well, you COULD play 4 Prismatic Vista and a few Wastes.

@khahan said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

Having a ravager and this in play basically means your opponent always has to consider the next turns attack lethal - even if he's at 20 health.

Ah but Ravager can pump a creature the turn you play it, which means your opponent has to consider the next attack lethal if you have ANY creature in play.

@Wagner said

However, Top is a pretty bad card to play in Shops in general since it has very little shuffle effects.

This is true, but it's not completely worthless. Arcbound Ravager cycles Tops by stacking the draw trigger and then sacking it. Karn lists that already run Voltaic Key can use the Key-Top combo to draw an extra card each turn. And you can flip top on your upkeep, draw it and cast it, to ... uh ... untap Traxos, Scourge of Kroog.

Okay that last one was a stretch.

@brass-man said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

And you can flip top on your upkeep, draw it and cast it, to ... uh ... untap Traxos, Scourge of Kroog.

You could trigger a Mishra's Self-Replicator 😛

I tried to search the net about the interaction with Seat of the Synod or any artifacts lands, couldn't find any answer. Do any of you know if the "nonland card" part applies only to colorless or also to artifacts?

Thanks for your enlightenment

Edit: Second thought I'm seeing the term "card" is used twice in the text, so my guess is we can play a Seat of the Synod from the top?

last edited by Cemaxab

You should be able to play Seat of the Synod with this, yes

@ajfirecracker said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

You should be able to play Seat of the Synod with this, yes

I guess not because it says cast and not play.

You can always tap it to mill yourself if you hit a dead card. Run Voltaic Key / Top to get deeper than that.

The new 5 mana 3/5 expedition map creature is a shuffle effect (as well as og expedition map). Solemn Simulacrum is a shuffle too if you want to go the basic land route. Inventor’s fair is highly playable as a shuffle.

Best place to play this seems like the Karn combo decks to me, but I guess as a top end in Aggro Shops its strong too.

Hey, if there is a Karn, the Great Creator out does this work on any spell? Is that a route to look at? Maybe in Eldrazi?

@john-cox said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

Hey, if there is a Karn, the Great Creator out does this work on any spell? Is that a route to look at? Maybe in Eldrazi?

Your Karn? No, only artifacts and colorless nonlands. Their Karn? No, only artifacts and colorless nonlands, and you can no longer clear the top card with Mystic Forge's activated ability.

If Myco Lattice is in play, you can any nonland card off the top, in case someone wants to try this in a colored Shop list.

@wagner said in [M20] Mystic Forge:

If Myco Lattice is in play, you can any nonland card off the top, in case someone wants to try this in a colored Shop list.

That seems like an expensive card when trying "chain off" with Mystic Forge. You could bring down the CMC of the deck by running 4 Karn, the Great Creator and run the Mycosynth Lattice in the sideboard (as well as the 4th Mystic Forge).

Yeah, I was thinking with a lattice out.

The last three months have been the most exciting three consecutive months in the history of Vintage for brewers with three consecutive sets giving us an abundance of awesome playables. Mystic Forge joins those rank.

I can't play in the Challenge this Saturday, but if I could, this (Mystic Forge Karn Combo) is what I would play (roughly speaking).
0_1562355573885_Mystic Forge Combo.png

@smmenen Ever missed a Key in the SB? I feel being able to fetch one with Karn could be important. And now you can add the inferior Voltaic one to the SB 😛

I SB out a key regularly, but prefer to have all 4 maindeck.

@smmenen I was thinking a 5th one on the SB.

Views