Manifold Key

Manifold Key
Artifact
1, T: Untap another target artifact.

3, T: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.

"Locks want to be opened, and treasure wants to be free."
-Nayrex Slipfinger, master thief

I choose to call this strictly better than Voltaic Key, and the person that points at the word "another" is just being a pedant.

I don't really get why they printed this card. It's just Voltaic Key with an additional benefit. Not sure what the point is.

Doesn't combo as well with Rings of Brighthearth!

@griselbrother said in [M20] Manifold Key:

I don't really get why they printed this card. It's just Voltaic Key with an additional benefit. Not sure what the point is.

You were the guy that got angry when they printed Ashcoat Bear.

@griselbrother It's just Wizards pushing the gaudy silver artifact frame for brand recognition!

@griselbrother Because Voltaic Key on its own is extremely narrow and not worth reprinting on its own in a Standard-legal set.

Someone is also going to call the second ability useless trinket text as they add them over Voltaic Key to their Karn deck. They're playing a match and suddenly they realize they need to push through two damage against a battlefield littered with Monk tokens. They look at their Manifold Key. They look at their Grim Monolith. They look at Karn, the Great Creator's +1 ability. They scoop out of spite. Vintage.

@evouga said in [M20] Manifold Key:

@griselbrother Because Voltaic Key on its own is extremely narrow and not worth reprinting on its own in a Standard-legal set.

Before @Griselbrother gets one over on you, Voltaic Key was reprinted in M11. He just can't understand how the power dynamic of Magic could have possibly shifted in nine years.

@anonymous said in [M20] Manifold Key:

3, T: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.

Read as

3, T: If you controlled Blightsteel Colossus at the beginning of this turn, you win the game.

It is worth noting this card is also a "key" so the combo "vault-key" can keep is name.

If this is Trinket Text then it is the most relevant Trinket Text for vintage in a long time. I am almost surprised that this was printed because if almost feels like a vintage plant.

Looking forward to slotting this into my Karn deck. Now my robots can have Shadow as well as Vigilance.

If only they had the decency to print good looking upgrades to old cards. It's appalling how disgusting and undifferentiated an up-to-date deck looks compared to an old school deck. I gotta squint to figure out what card I'm looking at more often than I want with these new cards with cheap graphics.

@horvath said in [M20] Manifold Key:

If only they had the decency to print good looking upgrades to old cards. It's appalling how disgusting and undifferentiated an up-to-date deck looks compared to an old school deck. I gotta squint to figure out what card I'm looking at more often than I want with these new cards with cheap graphics.

I can't agree more. If you are about to make an iconic card obsolete, at least do it with some fanfare and pizzazz. Not some piece of random clipart that has no context to the original.

Meh, to me Voltaic key is barely an iconic card, it saw little play before Time Vault got errated, and the art is very very forgettable, it's just very brown and unoriginal to me.

The thing that is so appealing about old cards is their border. The art was simpler back then, and it's not a compliment. If new cards were printed with old border they would look better than most old cards. Of course it doesn't apply to all cards.

Vintage for me is 0% aesthetics and 100% about being the format with the coolest toys. Manifold Key gets substituted in with the only questions being whether decks want 5-8 Keys and whether to diversify to avoid cards like Phyrexian Revoker.

@anonymous said in [M20] Manifold Key:

Vintage for me is 0% aesthetics and 100% about being the format with the coolest toys. Manifold Key gets substituted in with the only questions being whether decks want 5-8 Keys and whether to diversify to avoid cards like Phyrexian Revoker.

Maybe you guys can hold out for them to print a judge promo with the old frame like they did with crucible. Only problem is it'll probably be foil.

@protoaddict said in [M20] Manifold Key:

Maybe you guys can hold out for them to print a judge promo with the old frame like they did with crucible. Only problem is it'll probably be foil.

You need to learn to read what you're quoting before hitting Submit on your posts.

Views