[M20] Golos, Tireless Pilgrim

Shops players, you're welcome

0_1560870076326_04d1de6c-0d09-4393-b0f1-2d5216c1a869-image.png

Note it says LAND and not Basic Land, so in addition to getting you another shops you arguably could run something like Bojuka bog to hate on dredge. Seems like a very strong 1 of at the least out of the sideboard.

5 is a lot of manas. I get that they're all Shops-friendly mana, but it seems like if this was strategically strong we would be seeing more Expedition Map currently. It seems like this would be most playable if you have some way to bounce or recur it, so you can get a stream of Strip/Waste effects (in addition to whatever utility lands and further Factories / Shops / etc)

Compared to Map this costs 2 more in total, but functions under Null Rod effects and gives you a 3/5 body. Map was seeing play a few years ago, I know, in those Shops Depths lists.

I can't really think of a situation where shops has 5 mana and would play a 3/5 generic body (since shops isn't producing mana to active its activated ability) over just about anything else in its deck.

This also gets you around the 1 land per turn thing. Places where this can shine that Maps cannot include:

• Can fetch Bojuka Bog for Dredge hate
  • Can be a recursion target with Forgemaster or Welder
  • Can get eye of Ugin for explosive Eldrazi turns
  • Can get tabernacle in lands based decks
  • Can get maze of ith to stop mairt large from eating you

I suspect in other formats doing things like fetching a second flagstones to legend one out and getting an untapped land is also viable.

Why is Expedition Map not suited to fetching Bojuka Bog, Eye of Ugin, Tabernacle, or Maze of Ith?

@ajfirecracker Doesn't come with a body attached or put the land into play, also is a bombo with Workshop so in that kind of situation it's actually the same price as this, if you look at it funny.

last edited by craw_advantage

I think if the land came into play untapped this would be right on the line (or better), but as is, I think it’s just not there until stax or a toolbox deck comes back.

But I might be intrigued to try it in a stax shell.

last edited by joshuabrooks

Forge Master + Amulet of Vigor. Yay

It's a Map Man for Blue Belcher!

EDIT: Per @ajfirecracker's song, Man Map -> Map Man.

last edited by Ultimate Warrior

Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na
Map Man!

Well, since this can fetch Blast Zone and Tolarian Academy and works under Rod/Karn, I'd think in a Stax list it could be a 1-of.

@fsecco said in [M20] Golos, Tireless Pilgrim:

Well, since this can fetch Blast Zone and Tolarian Academy and works under Rod/Karn, I'd think in a Stax list it could be a 1-of.

And gets you ahead on permanents, or cements a Strip Mine soft lock.

@joshuabrooks the body is a great way to defend PWs. Also, when you cast this with 1 Shops + 2 mana, you can get Ancient Tomb and have Karn mana next turn if you're struggling to cast it.

If you have Tabernacle in the SB the question is whether this is better than Tabernacle #2

This guy is a much better late-game topdeck than Expedition Map, and since Shops struggles most in the late game, I can't completely discount Golos being useful.

Still, I struggle to envision running Golos over some other five-mana finisher.

PS: I'm surprised nobody yet has suggested running a miser's Crystal Quarry to go with his activated ability.

@evouga said in [M20] Golos, Tireless Pilgrim:

PS: I'm surprised nobody yet has suggested running a miser's Crystal Quarry to go with his activated ability.

It's because Cascading Cataracts is strictly better.

One can fetch karakas with it and start some fun bouncing it.
No one really plan to use its activate ability so we are talking about an overcosted card.
I will test it in my stax deck that already run one map but i am not really optimistic about it.

@john-cox said in [M20] Golos, Tireless Pilgrim:

If you have Tabernacle in the SB the question is whether this is better than Tabernacle #2

It probably is.

@ajfirecracker said in [M20] Golos, Tireless Pilgrim:

Why is Expedition Map not suited to fetching Bojuka Bog, Eye of Ugin, Tabernacle, or Maze of Ith?

Because it reads, "Turn target opponents Mental Misstep into a card with text." game one.

Views