And a new preview saison is starting.

0_1560787099381_0d707b25-aea2-4852-8a69-da6e3b4e8ea9-image.png

Source: Andrea Mengucci

Scheming Symmetry B

Sorcery
Choose two target players. Each of them searches their library for a card, then shuffles their library and puts that card on top of it.

If you do nothing the opponent will draw his card first but this can be negated by shuffling or extra draw on our turn. Can this card see some play when Imperial seal see almost 0 play ?

Card will see absolutely zero play in Vintage.

Yeah, you answered your own question by bringing up Imperial Seal. Tutoring effects at low mana cost are always powerful and worth consideration, but in order for Scheming Symmetry to see play when Imperial Seal does not, one of the following needs to be true:

• a deck needs either 3-7 copies of the Vampiric Tutor effect, or none at all. This would be the case if Scheming Symmetry opened up a new archetype (Bolas's Citadel?) that wasn't viable before, for example.

• the 2 life matters. It almost always doesn't, unless you're playing a deck with e.g. Lich or Worship effects;

• the opponent tutoring benefits you in some way. For example with Ashiok, Dream Render on the battlefield, you can play games with your opponent where you entice them to tutor up garbage with Scheming Symmetry, and then decline to mill them that turn with Ashiok. Is this any good? No, almost surely not, beyond entertainment value in a casual match.

My thoughts exactly. The card is a worst version of Seal, which currently sees basically no play. While I do think a deck could be brewed around this and Citadel, I don't think the deck would be bonkers by any means.

The deck would have to want Vamp, Seal, demonic, and possibly even Mystic or Worldly tutor first before this was even considered. So right now even with Citadel, which removed the colored mana issue from consideration, I'm not sure this sees play.

I would note that if your playing multiple in a turn the downside on subsequent copies you cast is mostly negated, unless your opponent needs to pivot because of what you have done.

You cast the first one to find your Aven Mindcensor and then the next three copies are pure value!

Topdeck tutors are nice with Bolas's Citadel in play, but even then I think there are enough better ones that this probably won't make the cut.

This is not good in vintage, might have been worth it with 4 probe legal before Dark Petition was printed but even then you already have access to 3 topdeck tutors which almost no decks play right now.
On another note, curious to see how this would play out in legacy with 12 cantrips or even modern.

@macdeath A few decks in Modern use Thought Scour already, which is the perfect card to have with this.

last edited by Wagner

I might try it in a black monty build to see if it is bad. Maybe like:

Main:
3 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Yawgmoth's Will
3 Grindstone
3 Painter's Servant
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Karn, the Great Creator
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Mana Vault
4 Mishra's Workshop
1 Voltaic Key
3 Thoughtseize
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Dark Ritual
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Black Lotus
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Necropotence
5 Swamp
1 Wasteland
1 Imperial Seal
1 Strip Mine
2 Polluted Delta
1 Time Vault
2 Scheming Symmetry
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Consultation
SB:
1 Witchbane Orb
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Spellskite
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Shatter Assumptions
1 Grindstone
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Painter's Servant
1 Mycosynth Lattice

@wagner said in [M20] Scheming Symmetry:

@macdeath A few decks in Modern use Thought Scour already, which is the perfect card to have with this.

That's exactly what I was thinking about for modern. Also seems good in a Goryo's vengeance/graveyard deck.

Apparently WotC thinks this card is Vintage-playable: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/m-files-core-set-2020-white-blue-black-2019-07-12

Interested to see what happens with this in Vintage. It will certainly get attention. Six-of VT is worth a build-around.

That's certainly a quaint take on the format 😉

@evouga said in [M20] Scheming Symmetry:

Apparently WotC thinks this card is Vintage-playable: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/m-files-core-set-2020-white-blue-black-2019-07-12

Interested to see what happens with this in Vintage. It will certainly get attention. Six-of VT is worth a build-around.

That's certainly a quaint take on the format 😉

lol good luck building around that hot mess

Views