[M20] Chandra, Acolyte of Flame

I haven't even had a chance to tinker with my new Goblin Engineers and we are already on Core2020 previews? Oi. I cant even get excited. I still like Chandra from Kaladesh, best.

Rhythm is life. And life is rhythm.

This is better than 3CMC Sarkhan 😉 It can't protect itself directly but the -2 is quasi protection if you have a requisite removal spell in your yard and the +0 loyalty moves her to 5 which I believe is 1 higher than any other 3 CMC walker can get to on their initial +. Can't be Pyroblasted which is nice but assuming an existing deck shell like Xerox RR could be hard to come by against Wasteland decks. Even if she is two Flashbacks and gone that's pretty freaking good.

On an unrelated note the art is fucking embarrassing for a game with Magics history of artists.

Here's a Shivan Dragon for people to cleanse their palate with.

alt text

last edited by nedleeds

Edit: I'm just going to sit out this spoiler season here...

last edited by Guest

I think the main problem with Chandra is that she is nigh useless vs Shops, Dredge, Survival, Humans and of only marginal value vs combo. The same could be said for JvP though Jace does pull his weight shrinking an attacker or blocking with the "flip trick" every now and then.

In a control shell vs other control decks, is she better than JvP? She can flash back a spell right away (if you have the mana to pay for it) and can flash back two spells in a row, which does seem back-breaking especially in the case of Time Walk in particular. Is it worth the more awkward casting cost and loss of JvP's utility? I'm not convinced.

(She also synergizes with other red Planeswalkers, but IMO if you already have an uncontested Planeswalker in play, boosting them with Chandra is win-more).

I almost never post in spoiler threads, partly because I do set reviews.

But WTF is going on here. There are three sets in three months with likely Vintage playables? This is an insane time to be a Vintage player.

And the - ability in this card is nearly Tiny Jace, without the hassle of having to flip it? AND you get as many activations as Tiny Jace does?

@smmenen said in [M20] Chandra, Acolyte of Flame:

But WTF is going on here. There are three sets in three months with likely Vintage playables? This is an insane time to be a Vintage player.

And the - ability in this card is nearly Tiny Jace, without the hassle of having to flip it? AND you get as many activations as Tiny Jace does?

I mean you are talking about a 1U card vs a 1RR card. Chandra is far more difficult to cast and cannot be pitched to either of the blue forces, and should be more powerful all things considered.

I think that we may just have to consider the fact that walker cards are inherently just so strong because of how they work within the rules and their interaction with other cards that every set likely has something that is in the grey area for vintage. Hell there are walkers from sets from years ago that never saw play that I'm starting to look at again just because they may have a place now.

I mean, for 4 mana (and its blue) Narset, Transcendent would let you double cast 3 spells without extra mana.

@protoaddict said in [M20] Chandra, Acolyte of Flame:

I mean you are talking about a 1U card vs a 1RR card. Chandra is far more difficult to cast and cannot be pitched to either of the blue forces, and should be more powerful all things considered.

I think that we may just have to consider the fact that walker cards are inherently just so strong because of how they work within the rules and their interaction with other cards that every set likely has something that is in the grey area for vintage. Hell there are walkers from sets from years ago that never saw play that I'm starting to look at again just because they may have a place now.

I mean, for 4 mana (and its blue) Narset, Transcendent would let you double cast 3 spells without extra mana.

Chandra doesn't get Pyroblasted and flashes back your Pyroblast(s). Perhaps this is a mirror breaker for Xerox mirrors where you can fetch Volc/Volc without fear of being Wastelanded. She's also tough to Lightning Bolt if you are conservative.

There’s already a million mirror breakers for Xerox. They can’t fit this 3 mana planeswalker unless it’s better than Dack or Narset.

This also doesn’t do much the turn you cast it, worse than Recoup on a lot of days.

Vintage unplayable, but I could be wrong. I don’t even think Dreadhorde Arsonist is good.

last edited by desolutionist

@desolutionist The people who don’t think Dreadhorde Arcanist is good are the people who didn’t think young pyromancer was good.

@desolutionist said in [M20] Chandra, Acolyte of Flame:

There’s already a million mirror breakers for Xerox. They can’t fit this 3 mana planeswalker unless it’s better than Dack or Narset.

This also doesn’t do much the turn you cast it, worse than Recoup on a lot of days.

Vintage unplayable, but I could be wrong. I don’t even think Dreadhorde Arsonist is good.

There are decks other than Xerox and colors other than blue. In a grindy prison deck like Blood Moon this could compliment the Kalidesh Chandra by allowing us to not only pump her but to replay our lightning bolts. It could also enable you to do something like turn on Koth of the Hammers Ultimate a turn after you play him, which is a deck full of mountains seems strong.

@desolutionist The people who don’t think Dreadhorde Arcanist is good are the people who didn’t think young pyromancer was good.

Young Pyromancer is an improved version of Quirion Dryad. Of course it’s good.

Dreadhorde Arcanist is like an Ophidian. It has to attack, and hopefully you have a Preordain in the graveyard. But that’s nothing compared to what Dredge, Paradoxical, or Eldrazi is doing on their turn two... It’s just not even the same format.

last edited by desolutionist

I think Arcanist is more like the red Bob, but whatever.

I think I like this card over Arcanist. I like the symmetry with Dack and the fact that you can cast spells 3 or less. Results look promising but it’s hard to tell with the current meta being what it is.

She does not fit well with Narset but if you prioritize Dack over Narset you get a more aggressive deck instead of controlling.
Not sure if she fits in the format but having fun with the card.

Views