https://scryfall.com/card/mh1/164/force-of-vigor

This seems like a very powerful option for non-blue Gx decks such as @ChubbyRain 's Jund deck, and for UGx Xerox decks.

This card seems great for the format because it does not actually give you card disadvantage, and it allows you to come back from a very prisony start for little to no cost. I like the fact that it makes you play green as it is not a very played secondary color (mostly a tertiary color) and I think this could very easily change that.

The fact that it is 2GG makes this card a bit less likely to be realistically hardcast and if you do then you are likely very far ahead anyway. In my opinion that does not really matter and this will be a very good SB card for many decks with some playing 1 or 2 main.

Also, this with Force of Negation seems to suggests a cycle of "force" pitch cards for each color, doing something that each color is known for.

As a Dredge mage I am very very excited for this Force cycle since so far both seem very powerful in a Dredge shell. Dredge lives off of free cards so the ability to have free counterspells against hate and free removal spells seems insanely attractive, additionally since both new Force cards are instants you can use Force of Negation to protect Force of Vigor. I am excited to see how Dredge changes with these new card.

So far I very excited and happy with the new set as it seems to provide very versatile but not overly powerful cards.

last edited by Rat3dE

RIP shop prison forever.

Scared about this cycle BUT....

White and Green are tough colors to have pitch fodder for. Most decks are just not constructed that way like base blue decks are for FOW. I love that it can turn 0 answer leyline for dredge but it would not surprise me to find that the deck have to start accommodating for pitch fodder and running things like Shambling Shell over thug, especially since pitch dredge is so blue already.

@cutlex said in [MH1] Force of Vigor:

RIP shop prison forever.

It only just occurred to me what the ideal play pattern in shops is when they have a good hand. A lot of the time your opponent is going to play shops, then mox, then Foundry inspector, then sphere. In those cases you can cast this with sphere on the stack and remove the mana they perhaps needed to have a good turn 2. It may actually be advantageous to leave the sphere and nuke the support, especially if you have a waste effect in hand for their land since sol lands cannot cast most of their creatures on their own.

I literally cannot imagine what the red one does now outside of being a better Pyrotechnics.

Hymn to tourach.......free in opp.. eot .....

More of a Legacy use case, but hoping the red is a damage can't be prevented Pyroclasm.

So 2-3 of these in Survivals sideboard almost ensures a victory versus MUD? Chuck my extra survival EOT, destroy what ever, untap, win??

This is going to probably be a pretty good reason to actually play green in Vintage. Green needed this boost in the format, being the worst color and a support role at best. Great card that ultimately helps a lot in making restricting Workshops an old discussion. BUG and Dredge can use this easily, but I wonder if there are other archetypes this makes viable. Looking forward to seeing the other 3 in the cycle!
Predictions? Black will be based on Hymn to Tourach or Fatal Push; Red will be a better Pyrotecnics (although I'd love a free Light up the Stage) and white will be a token generator.

Welp if the rest of this cycle is as good as these 2 then I guess no need for lands in dredge anymore, lol.

EDIT:
Just to add a bit more, Dredge can easily hit its 16 Green cards with its 4 Golgari Grave-Trolls, 4 of these, and then some combination of other cards, like Basking Rootwalla / Vengevine / Nature's Claim / Life from the Loam / Dread Return Targets / Abrupt Decay / other green dredgers / ect.

last edited by vaughnbros

@fsecco said in [MH1] Force of Vigor:

Predictions? Black will be based on Hymn to Tourach or Fatal Push; Red will be a better Pyrotecnics (although I'd love a free Light up the Stage) and white will be a token generator.

There is no way black is getting an instant speed, pitchable Hymn that is legal in modern. They already have unmask and it is probably right where the power level needs to be. More likely they get creature removal because it's black, and I would assume white gets an instant speed pitch protection spell.

Yea, a better version of Contagion seems right

@serracollector said in [MH1] Force of Vigor:

So 2-3 of these in Survivals sideboard almost ensures a victory versus MUD? Chuck my extra survival EOT, destroy what ever, untap, win??

It certainly helps the matchup. Hitting 2 artifacts for free is absurd, while energy field is usually a win but not Always castable, i think this card gives a better show at winning. The only thing I'm not sure about is it's use against decks like outcome. It would be a 4 for 2 hitting 2 artifacts in response to outcome (or even before) but IDK...

@protoaddict loam over shambling shell, if there's any mana-producing lands in the 75

@protoaddict of course, they need to be instant or else the whole cycle fails. My bad. Yeah, instant Hymn is of course not viable. Thing is if the black one is removal, the red one can be just that too - but maybe they'll settle for a new "Fireblast".

Ironically I JUST had a post about "How do I beat shop's sphere-heavy hand while on the draw" (thinking particularly about my WG deck) and the answer outside of FoW/dredge was "there's no free-mana answer to sphere lock, sometimes you just lose." Now we have this beauty. How did WotC jump into the future to read my thread and then go back in time a year to develop this answer? They really are "Wizards".

I'm going to abuse the crap out of this card in Bant Humans with Knight and Tireless Tracker and Lavinia. 🙂

Bravo Wizards! A great spell for Vintage and green in general.

@fsecco said in [MH1] Force of Vigor:

@protoaddict of course, they need to be instant or else the whole cycle fails. My bad. Yeah, instant Hymn is of course not viable. Thing is if the black one is removal, the red one can be just that too - but maybe they'll settle for a new "Fireblast".

My guess is that red will be a pyroclasm style effect as that is a turn 0 answer to tokens, White may be a pitch angels grace style cant lose effect, and black will be some snuff out style thing or a resurrect effect.

It is in reds color pie to get a non-basic land destruction spell but as a free card it would probably ruin modern at free and instant speed. You could also see a prismatic strands style card or grave hate in white but those feel too weak.

@protoaddict white was leaked, it's Swords to Plowshares for 2 mana

Views