[WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils

alt text

Narset, Parter of Veils

Each opponent can't draw more than one card each turn.

-2: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a noncreature, nonland card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Look like a really good planewalker for blue mirror matchup.

last edited by Cuikui

Yeah, seems ok. Inferior version of this effect to either Leovold or Chains imo, but it is mono-blue so it could show up... if anything the three-drop planeswalker slot is now looking very crowded, which might work against this the most.

OK. I think now there's possibly a viable Superfriends Prison list out there. Let's call it "Hatewalkers".

last edited by fsecco

@fsecco

That's what I'm wondering about. By my count there are three PWs that see a lot of play right now, and a couple more that see fringe/sideboard play. There are, what, seven in WAR that seem to have potential? Plus Kaya which is probably poised to see an uptick in play. There's not room for even close to all of them to show up in established decks, but I'm really curious about a possible superfriends deck that might emerge.

There is overlap in some of these walkers to the point where the first of walker B is likely better than the second copy of walker A, so I suspect you may see more cards with fewer copies in vintage. I would much rather be in a situation where I have some combination of Ashiok, Teferi, Dovin, Narset, or Shaeeli in play than having redundant copies in hand.

I do like that this card does not care where the effect comes from, so it turns off your symmetrical effects like Howling mine, not that it sees play in this format but its going to be great in my turns list in modern.

This does just put JTMS in his place, and supports your other walkers static effects by preventing you opponent from seeing new cards outside of instant speed stuff on your turn like Opt. If the worst case situation is that this comes down, impulses, and then make your opponent deal with it, it is probably already worth it.

@craw_advantage yeah problem is Dovin is not a turn 1 play like Thalia. So maybe it's too slow to build a deck around.

Dovin MAY be strong enough a card to merit trying to windmill him turn one, same as Lavinia which means there may be some critical mass.

Dovin can be turned oned off a lot of stuff including

• 2 moxen/lotus petal and a land
  • Lotus
  • Sol lands on color moxen
  • sol ring land mox
  • land mana crypt

That seems like more of a turn one play than not to be honest.

@protoaddict if you play 8 sol lands I agree. Otherwise it's not reliable enough to be as strong as Thalia (which it will never be since there's no Cavern for PWs yet).

8 sol seems excessive to me. Dovin is a turn one play, but the deck has a number of other cards that can be turn oned as well as counters it can hold on to.

My guess is that 5 mox + Sol + Lotus + Crypt + Maybe Petal/Opal and a typical land base might be just fine to see him hit play turn one pretty regularly.

@fsecco

Can't you play both? White Eldrazi plays stuff like Glowrider and Vryn Wingmare currently.

last edited by craw_advantage

This is much better in multiples than Leo. Double impulse for 3 mana seems strong in and of itself.

I love this card! I know mono blue control is not a deck anymore but this card is just flexible. It stops most blue decks and slows dredge down. For a blue planeswalker that costs 3 mana you cannot do much better. I am excited about this card not because it will win me the game but because it synergizes so well with other strategies.

@moorebrother1 said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

I am excited about this card not because it will win me the game but because it synergizes so well with other strategies.

I think this basically summarizes my reaction to this entire set. Nothing jumps out as obviously game breaking, but to echo another user in another thread, there are so many utility cards built here it's just waiting for a future brewer who will be addressing a meta challenge a few years from now. In the meantime it will remain to be seen whether synergies help new decks in our format where people seem relatively Meh on win-harder cards.

All that said, we've been without a (consistently) viable prison deck for a while. Would like to see "Hatewalkers" come out swinging as a thing!

Another "must counter or deal with me" walker for the blue mirror (along with Teferi). WAR is going to have a huge impact on Vintage, methinks.

@bandswithothers said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

Nothing jumps out as obviously game breaking

Bolas's Citadel seems pretty close if it works out.

Likewise Karn may prove to be problematic just because of his interaction with Lattice, but that is a little more of a long shot.

@dr-j I think blue white super friends is going to be a deck. You don’t even need standstill.

This post is deleted!

@craw_advantage said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

@fsecco

Can't you play both? White Eldrazi plays stuff like Glowrider and Vryn Wingmare currently.

Nah, Thalia makes this cost more, which is bad IMO.

@protoaddict said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

Likewise Karn may prove to be problematic just because of his interaction with Lattice, but that is a little more of a long shot.

Karn, Silver Golem also had synergy with Lattice and it was never a thing outside Commander, so I doubt this combo will have any impact (although I think Karn will be played, but because he's good by himself).

@moorebrother1 said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

slows dredge down

I mean, Dredge just skips draws so it barely does anything unless you play this turn 1 off Lotus on the play. Even then, drawing 1 instead of 2 on the first Bazaar activation is barely a problem.

last edited by fsecco

I put my take on twitter.

TLDR: I think this card has immediate applicability as an anti-PO planeswalker. It has build around potential in a Draw 7 shell, especially with London mull, and in a pseudo Grixis Thieves Shell with Vault/Key (pretty insane digging and combo potential). It is overrated against non-PO blue decks since it's very easy to remove via the attack step, which is a major limitation of a deck based on "HateWalkers" - They don't protect themselves very well against the go wide strategies in Vintage.

@fsecco said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

@craw_advantage said in [WAR] Narset, Parter of Veils:

@fsecco

Nah, Thalia makes this cost more, which is bad IMO.

D'oh, you're right.

last edited by craw_advantage
    Views