@vaughnbros

Welp, serves me right for not reading the card, huh? That really hurts it for Vintage. Ironically, it makes it much better in Legacy and Modern. 3 mana uncounterable board wipe for all 1-cc cards is pretty hype.

@maximumcdawg said in [WAR] Explosion Zone:

@vaughnbros

Welp, serves me right for not reading the card, huh? That really hurts it for Vintage. Ironically, it makes it much better in Legacy and Modern. 3 mana uncounterable board wipe for all 1-cc cards is pretty hype.

That's not true. Chalice of the Void is omnipresent in both formats and having it at 0 would be huge. It comes with 1 because of Standard and the damage it would do there against tokens.

EDIT: Also, it's important to note right now that it actually costs 4 mana to explode (3+tapping this)

last edited by fsecco

This is probably still a player in formats that have lands decks or lockout cards.

In vintage i think its to slow unless there are suddenly an predominance of 1cc permanents, though on 2 it is a very spicy way to get out from behind spheres.

Its more of a card to remember for the future than to run now.

@protoaddict

That was exactly my reaction to it. I don't think this is likely to find a home in the next 6-12 months, but five years from now somebody is going to be lauded for remembering that this card exists and breaking some troublesome matchup wide open with it.

Interesting to note that this is the cheapest way for a shops deck to remove a Null Rod or Stony Silence, though definitely slow.

Turn 1 Ancient Tomb,
Turn 2 <this>, tap to add 1 counter
Turn 3 Wasteland/Mishra's Factory/whatever, activate

For decks with access to colored mana I think Engineered Explosives has too many advantages over this land and plays the same role.

I agree this is one of the few ways Shops can deal with Null Rod, but

• the slowness and dissynergy with Workshop is unfortunate
  • Null Rod is more of a nuisance than a silver bullet against Shops anyway.

As per my previous post, I have a Knight of the Reliquary list that should abuse this card reasonably well cause I'm able to run 1 copy and tutor it up on my opponent's eot and then pump it to 2 counters right away by simply having 2 mana up. On the following turn I can pop it for 2 to wreck a shop player's board in an unrevokerable fashion. Here's the list I've been working on lately that might abuse this:

Bant Humans

Lands (25):
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Windswept Heath
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Savannah
2 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Karakas
1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland
1 Maze of Ith
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Gaea’s Cradle

Artifacts (8):
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
2 Mox Diamond
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Pearl
1 Chalice of the Void

Creatures (20):
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Thalia, Guaridan of Thraben
4 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
3 Tireless Tracker
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Odric, Master Tactician

Instants (6):
2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Mental Misstep
1 Ancestral Recall

Sorcery (1):
1 Time Walk

Sideboard
4 Containment Priest
2 Nature’s Claim
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Shalai, Voice of Plenty
1 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
1 Explosion Zone
1 Ramunap Excavator
3 Trygon Predator

This seems like a solid answer for Needle in a depth's/stage deck.

@cutlex said in [WAR] Explosion Zone:

Interesting to note that this is the cheapest way for a shops deck to remove a Null Rod or Stony Silence, though definitely slow.

Turn 1 Ancient Tomb,
Turn 2 <this>, tap to add 1 counter
Turn 3 Wasteland/Mishra's Factory/whatever, activate

Problem with this is that you wasted your turns 2 and 3 on this, applying zero pressure on said turns and probably losing that game anyway.

EDIT: actually you wasted your whole 3 turns because if you played any 2 mana pressure turn 1, that's going away too.

last edited by fsecco

@fsecco Yep, it's not great, but it's an option. If you're building a Shop deck that hates null effects, this seems better than praying you can build up 7 non-artifact mana for Meteor Golem or Spine of Ish Sah even if you have to dodge Wasteland.

I cou;d see this in a grindy BC style Staxx list.

@cutlex the thing is Rod doesn't shut Shops down that much. Stuff like Precursor Golem or Chief of the Foundry do a great job to apply pressure under rod, so I don't know if wasting 2-3 turns to get off rod is worth it. This seems better in more controlish shells like Lands.

Views