Mono Blue Control, Viable in the Current Meta?

So I was brewing and came up with the following list and I believe it is viable in the current metagame and have explanations as to why I believe so. Let me begin with the list:

Mana (22):
8 Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
Library of Alexandria
Black Lotus
Sol Ring
Mox Sapphire
Mox Jet
Mox Emerald
Mox Ruby
Mox Pearl

Draw (7):
4 Preordain
1 Search for Azcanta
Ancestral Recall
Dig Through Time

Counterspell Package (14):
4 Force of Will
4 Mental Misstep
4 Mana Drain
2 Mindbreak Trap

Removal (3):
3 Repeal

Vintage Hate Package (8):
3 Propoganda
3 Null Rod
2 Back to Basics

Win the Game (6):
3 Consecrated Sphinx
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Time Walk

Sideboard:
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Energy Flux
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Arcane Laboratory
1 Propoganda

I came to the realization that current Pitch Dredge have a hard time with a resolved Propaganda, Game 1 it is actually an auto win against them.
Consecrated Sphinx seems like a pretty strong card against decks like Xerox as well as Outcome.
Having a single colored manabase makes this deck pretty strong against Wasteland based decks.
BACK to BASICS is a HOUSE! Especially combined with your "taxing" cards (Propaganda, Energy Flux, Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale).
I'm not sure how good Search for Azcanta is in this deck but it seems quite good in a hard control deck like this.
What does everyone think of this brew? Do you think its viable?

@msg67183 The list does not have Brainstorm or Ponder, but has 4 Preordains. Was that intentional? If you want to use 4 Mana Drains, I think you can support Treasure Cruise.

I think sorcery cards should be high impact or left out if you want to use 4 Mana Drains. If you have Sorcery cards or Mana Drain to cast early game, you want to either leave up Mana Drain, or cast a high value sorcery. Preordain isn't very high impact. 0 Flusterstorms is kind of scary when you're trying to resolve Mana Drain and other counterspells. Flusterstorms are also critical for pushing your opponent to cast 3 or more spells in counter wars for you to cast Mindbreak Trap for free.

Search for Azcanta is too fragile. When it is an enchantment, it gets destroyed by Pyroblast. When it is a land, it gets destroyed by so many cards. It is a nonbo with Back to Basics. That's a lot of hoops to jump through for a card that does nothing for an entire turn.

last edited by Wretchling

@msg67183 I do not want to be too negative here but Pyroblast wrecks you. I played a mono-blue PO deck in the leagues for a while and it did OK but Pyroblast and Mentor are just too good.

Also Shops and Dredge are very resilient decks . Do not think you will counter your way past them. And the new meta is all Lavinia all the time. You need some way to answer that card aside from a counterspell.

Now that I have gotten all of that out of the way. I like your deck and I like what you are trying to do. But, again being very honest you need to win the game faster and you need more answers.

Was thinking about this shell as well coincidentally. Null rod + B2B is a pretty hard lock. You definitely need more threats, I'm also skeptic whether you can support the Sphinx with null rod (which also happens to be extremely vulnerable to the most commonly played removal in the format Pyroblast and Swords to plowshares). I think the deck will likely struggle vs Xerox since they have a better draw engine/ answers, can play around your lock and your list is extremely soft to Lavinia.
Any reason not to splash white for better threats and answers? Have you considered Blue moon at all?

Views