0_1550079150712_98c80c28-fd3c-467e-93fd-1582ce4c250a-image.png
Text: If Leyline of Singularity is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
All nonland permanents are legendary.

This card was used some time ago and it was decided that it was not very good. As I have been brewing, I have studied the meta-game and most strategies revolve around killing you with tokens or multiple copies of the same card.

Is this card ok in the meta-game now?http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=107697&type=card

last edited by moorebrother1

I dont think this is really up to snuff. Looking at the common decks in the game:

1. PO - works off a bunch of a restricted permanents and wins with instants or sorceries or vault/key
  2. Shops - one of the few decks that runs 4x most of permanents. But so what. Have a ravager in play? Sac it to itself, drop the counters on a ballista or factor and play the other one. It does help against multiple spheres, but this is pretty narrow.
  3. mentor - 1 mentor and 1 token still wins the game pretty fast
  4. survival - while it can't overrun you with 2 or 3 copies of vengevines, it can still drop a variety of creatures and just hammer you down almost as quick
  5. dredge - I think its most effective here as it shuts down easily flashing back dread return. Hollow ones are just deadly with 2 or 3 on the board. A single one can be chump blocked often. But I'd call this soft hate against dredge and there are just simply better hard hate options.
  6. Oath - does nothing to stop oath which just needs 1 activation from 1 token generation to get any one of the 3 singleton creatures in play to win
  7. combo - dps style doesn't care about anything but restricted permanents.
  8. bomberman - doesn't do a thing to stop this.
  9. superfriends - something like joe brennans jeskai superfriends list deals with restricted and legendary permanents already
  10. creature based decks like eldrazi or humans get slowed down a little. but they either run big enough creatures that a single one can win the game (eldrazi) or they run a bunch of legendary creatures already to lock things down (thalias, lavinia etc).

Even digging into tier 2 decks like my own pet deck bomberman and leyline of singularity doesn't do much.

At best it can definitely slow some decks and strategies down. But the amount of hard hate we have to most strategies is to the point where 'make it a little harder for you to win' just doesn't cut it because we have, "i can stop you from winning," options available.

@khahan I did not think it was good against PO, but Dredge, Survival, and Shops it does some work. BUG and Mentor, it is not good either. I get your point but I do not think there are answers that beat any of these decks outright.

This card can be in a PO sideboard and it does slow down Dredge more than Grafdigger's Cage. Against Oath they can only ever have one token. It is not a silver bullet but it offers a cushion for you to push ahead of your opponent. 3 Vengevine and 2 Hollow One's on turn 1 or 2 is not uncommon and this stops that and buys you 2 turns.

This is probably going to be a Legacy option with Arclight Phoenix running around but I think it is at least something to think about in Vintage.

last edited by moorebrother1

@moorebrother1 said in Leyline of Singularity:

@khahan I did not think it was good against PO, but Dredge, Survival, and Shops it does some work. BUG and Mentor, it is not good either. I get your point but I do not think there are answers that beat any of these decks outright.

This card can be in a PO sideboard and it does slow down Dredge more than Grafdigger's Cage. Against Oath they can only ever have one token. It is not a silver bullet but it offers a cushion for you to push ahead of your opponent. 3 Vengevine and 2 Hollow One's on turn 1 or 2 is not uncommon and this stops that and buys you 2 turns.

This is probably going to be a Legacy option with Arclight Phoenix running around but I think it is at least something to think about in Vintage.

True IN a deck like PO or even dps that just needs an extra turn or 2 early on, this could be a viable option. Against those decks as a generic look, it doens't stack up. That's kind of how I was looking at it - as a generic, what does this card do. We both agree it can slow down some of the decks and you're right, sometimes slowing another deck down is all a deck like dps or PO needs to win.

There is also the synergy with Karakas.

Adding some copies along with leyline can help to lock the opponent.

Views