alt text

This card was spoiled at the beginning of the season and no one ever spoke about it and I just went back an reread it. First time I saw this I read it like it was an Act on Impulse variant, but then I noticed the exile clause takes place at the end of your NEXT turn, which actually makes this much more potent.

The catch here is that you have to do a point of damage to your opponent to get it to be discounted to R, and even then its in effect a draw 2 that is probably not as good as Thoughtcast. But I do wonder if a Bloodmoon deck would want this effect outside of Chandra at all. It plays nice with Ensnaring bridge as well so it seems like it could be a fit.

Vintage does not have a red based rituals list like Modern or Legacy, which is another play I see this card taking shape.

If this would be an instant, i could totally see this synergizing with something like Eidolon of the Great Revel, Pyrostatic Pillar or the new Cinervines. The whole "until end of your next turn" kind of makes me think they intended or at least tested it as an instant, but deemed it too powerful. As it is, i dont see it beeing that good.
Edit: typos

last edited by Aelien

@aelien if it was an instant it would be a bit better because of opposing fetches, FoWs and Missteps. The thing is that if you can't play it for the Spectacle cost, it's very, very bad. So probably unplayable because of that: Spectacle becomes too situational. If you're playing decks that attack like, say, Young Pyro Xerox, Chart a Course feels better anyway,

This may not actually be a terrible draw engine in a straight-up burn shell: hit your opponent with direct damage, refill your hand for R, keep up more burn or Pyroblasts for the opponent's turn. Two cards for one mana is a perfectly acceptable rate (they can't all be Ancestrals) and I'd rather keep spells low to the ground in terms of mana cost than pay extra for instant speed, as in e.g. Commune with Lava.

Now I'm not saying straight-up burn is a Tier 1 Vintage deck, but if you're gonna build it, Light Up the Stage is a fine inclusion.

Second time in two days that I've seen a post here that makes me want to play burn. It's comin'!

@craw_advantage Not for nothing but we are closer than we have ever been. I actually think there are a handful of actual meta decks right now that would basically fold to a legacy Burn deck that added lotus, mox ruby, and maybe like wheel of fortune.

Burns clock is basically as fast as workshops if not faster with only slightly less disruption. I think the biggest issue it has is just the fact that without maindeck answers it folds to things like COTV and trinisphere.

I am really contemplating putting together a stormy sorta burn list that maxes out on fast mana and hand refill and see where that gets us.

4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Ruby
1 Lotus Petal
1 Lions eye diamond

4 Light up the stage
1 Wheel of fortune
1 Gitaxian Probe
4 Street Wraith
2 Dangerous Wager

4 Lightning bolt
4 Lava spike
4 Chain Lightning
4 Skewer the Critics
4 Grapeshot
4 Goblin guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear

12 Lands

Something like that

@protoaddct Not too far off from what I was thinking, although I assumed that it had to be UR... I might take something like this for a spin this weekend, once the new cards become available.

Views