SMIP Podcast # 86: The 2018 Vintage Year in Review & Moxies Award Show

• TMD Supporter

The MTG cast network is down for the time being. But our podcast episodes are still going up on Eternal central. Here is our end-of-the-year show!

http://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-86-2018-year-in-review/

Kevin Cron and Steve Menendian discuss the year that was 2018, for Vintage; its key tournaments, cards, sets, and stories. In the end, we award our annual Moxies!

Play
    Podcast (somanyinsaneplays): Download (Duration: 1:57:22 — 94.2MB)

0:01:15: Announcements
    0:02:00: Vintage Super League Season 9 Updates
    0:13:00: Sperling/Vergo Scenario Show
    0:22:30: Set Releases
    0:28:30: Major Events
    0:37:30: Metagame Shifts
    0:53:00: New Cards
    1:05:30: New Sets
    1:07:15: Best Deck
    1:09:40: Stories
    1:17:00: Moxies
    1:50:00: Looking Forward to 2019
    Total Runtime: 1:57:22
    Contact us at @ManyInsanePlays on Twitter or e-mail us at SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com.

Our moxie awards this year were pretty intensely debated, but I'm really happy with the final selections 🙂

• Thanks for the yearly review as always.

When counting top8 appearances, it's a bit of work but it would be more fair to scale the number of top8s by the number of months of the year the card was legal to play. Even better would be to scale by the number of tournaments it was legal in, but that seems like too much work.

If you apply this scaling, assassin's trophy was just as prevalent as Teferi.

• TMD Supporter

So do you think I got it right? The card of the year was a tough one.

• I think the card is a hard thing to evaluate this year and comes to personal preference and the way you want to look at it. Karn, Teferi and Trophy all seem good choices.

I disagree with deck of the year, though. In other years you don't necessarily gave moxies to the "most successful deck". Take the eldrazi year for example. If I remember correctly Eldrazi won best deck moxies, and it wasn't the most successful that year. But it changed the metagame and the narrative of the whole year, deserving the award. I really think this year's narrative was all around PO. You later assess that we may be finally out of the Shops Era, and that was a lot on PO's back, which makes for me the deck of the year, since it really shaped how the format evolved and held Shops back a bit.

It was a great show though, as usual. ❤

• TMD Supporter

Great episode. While I disagree somewhat with dismissing sideboard cards as candidates for card of the year because a key sideboard card could easily push certain archetypes into/out of the upper echelons of the format, I really like Steve's choice of Trophy for card of the year. Looking at raw numbers of top 8 appearances does a disservice to cards that came out later in the calendar year, so taking a longer-term view makes sense to me.

• TMD Supporter

@revengeanceful said in SMIP Podcast # 86: The 2018 Vintage Year in Review & Moxies Award Show:

Great episode. While I disagree somewhat with dismissing sideboard cards as candidates for card of the year because a key sideboard card could easily push certain archetypes into/out of the upper echelons of the format, I really like Steve's choice of Trophy for card of the year. Looking at raw numbers of top 8 appearances does a disservice to cards that came out later in the calendar year, so taking a longer-term view makes sense to me.

Would Fragmentize or Yixlid Jailer rate as a "card of the year"? Possibly, in some technical sense.

But to me, "card of the year" has to have a larger role - a more strategic role, in the evolving metagame. I wouldn't give a best picture oscar based upon a 10 minute supporting actor performance. Similarly, I don't think the "card of the year" Moxie should to a 1- or 2-of sideboard card that is only used by one deck.

To me, it was down to Niv Mizzet or Assissin's Trophy, and I think Trophy was more deserving, as I think it's the card from the year that will have the longest-term impact on the format.

• @smmenen said in SMIP Podcast # 86: The 2018 Vintage Year in Review & Moxies Award Show:

I wouldn't give a best picture oscar based upon a 10 minute supporting actor performance.

*laughs in Hannibal Lecter*

I would consider a sideboard card for card of the year if it changed things significantly enough. That said, I haven't listened to the show yet so we'll see if I change my mind.

WAF/WHF