Ain't No Rest for the Paradoxical - 11th Place Tournament Report - Vintage Champs 2018

VINTAGE FRIENDS!

I didn't proofread it. Its fast, its dirty, its a rambling stream of my incoherent thoughts on a great first Eternal Weekend. Here is my 11th place Vintage Champs Tournament report!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3KPwk8KWQNyVhsOmGzfYIukcEeqFypTUfGl9sGgQfM/edit?usp=sharing

I am always down to dicuss Vintage, Paradoxical Outcome or Magic in general. Feel free to ask any questions in the comments.

Cheers!

Justin 'IamActuallyLvL1' Gennari

Great report, and congrats on the run!

@iamactuallylvl1 good read! I saw you at the event but got distracted when I was about to come thank you for your YouTube channel.

Congratulations on the 11th place finish.

@IamActuallyLvL1 Great job, very cool. Looking forward to watching your stream this weekend (I have a few really weird deck ideas if you ever want some).

Where the hell is Treasure Cruise?

@countdabubba Good question! It is my belief that you can only support 2 "delve spells" in PO. So for this you have to choose between Dig/Cruise/Will and Snapcaster. Dig is the best one as you are a combo deck. Cruise IMO is more underwhelming then Will and Will plays a bit better with the one snapcaster mage. It is perfectly acceptable to run 1 dig 1 cruise or 1 dig 1 will 1 snap. Any other configuration doesn't make sense.

@iamactuallylvl1 The issue does not come when you try to draw one of the delve spells, but when you have both of them in your hand which turns the situation in really awkward in this deck. You try to launch TC first and then 1 or 2 turns later try to resolve DTT vs. blue. Good news is that if first resolves, you might resolve second too XD

@iamactuallylvl1 said in Ain't No Rest for the Paradoxical - 11th Place Tournament Report - Vintage Champs 2018:

@countdabubba Good question! It is my belief that you can only support 2 "delve spells" in PO. So for this you have to choose between Dig/Cruise/Will and Snapcaster. Dig is the best one as you are a combo deck. Cruise IMO is more underwhelming then Will and Will plays a bit better with the one snapcaster mage. It is perfectly acceptable to run 1 dig 1 cruise or 1 dig 1 will 1 snap. Any other configuration doesn't make sense.

@brianpk80 , @diophan and I also came to the same conclusion. You can't actually support any further delve spells in PO (or really, any non Xerox deck).

@neo_altoid @CountDaBubba it is perfectly reasonable to play Dig and Cruise and up your blue count for FoW. This is what ecobaronen decided was the correct line. Personally my team liked dig, will, snap a small amount more.

Nice read! Almost makes me want to do my own write up, almost...

@iamactuallylvl1 said in Ain't No Rest for the Paradoxical - 11th Place Tournament Report - Vintage Champs 2018:

@neo_altoid @CountDaBubba it is perfectly reasonable to play Dig and Cruise and up your blue count for FoW. This is what ecobaronen decided was the correct line. Personally my team liked dig, will, snap a small amount more.

Agreed on that. We felt Snapcaster was basically required, and it was "Pick 2 of Will, Cruise, and Dig"--and Will/Dig was what we (well, only Ryan, really, as BPK ended up on Oath,and I ended up on Survival)

last edited by neo_altoid

@neo_altoid said in Ain't No Rest for the Paradoxical - 11th Place Tournament Report - Vintage Champs 2018:

@brianpk80 , @diophan and I also came to the same conclusion. You can't actually support any further delve spells in PO (or really, any non Xerox deck).

Definitely correct. I didn't miss Treasure Cruise at all. In fact, my openers probably benefited from not having 3 early game bricks in addition to 3 gigantic Oath animals.

Dig is also a reasonable Merchant Scroll target in the cases where Ancestral and PO are not an option.

Congrats on the finish and thanks for sharing the report! I was also running PO but to a much less exciting 5-5 finish, but still had a blast. Im curious whats your thought on Karn in the main?

@ebgmtg karn has been slowly less impressive for me. I thought he would be a good plan versus jeskai but I have found him to be a liability versus dack. I would be looking to move away from him in the future. @ChubbyRain 's opinion may differ?

@ebgmtg karn has been slowly less impressive for me. I thought he would be a good plan versus jeskai but I have found him to be a liability versus dack. I would be looking to move away from him in the future. @ChubbyRain 's opinion may differ?

If Dack is your problem, I know what your issue is. Karn isn't there to tick down--he's there to just keep ticking up for a few turns. Paradoxical--even with the bonus card usually being a Mox--can overwhelm Jeskai if you get to just tick up Karn a bunch, then -1 and get an extra Will/Outcome to just have more stuff than they have answers. It was one of those very paradoxical "this isn't a threat, it's a howling mine" realizations.

Pretty sure there are better cards that can do that affect. Karn is at its best when its ticking down.

Pretty sure there are better cards that can do that affect. Karn is at its best when its ticking down.

Not as many cards that can do both. Karn might be at its best when ticking down but the ability to tick up and turn into a CA engine gives flexibility that shouldn't be underestimated.

There really aren't better 1-sided, unpyroblastable, howling mine effects that double as win conditions when the proper situation arises. If you have other options, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! That was pretty much my take on it too, just wanted to see if i had the blinders on.

Views