The Eternal Weekend NA 2018 Thread

• @p3temangus thanks, I'm going to keep hunting for it. I really want to point it out for my article because it's a great distinction to me to show off the unpowered budget winner. I think that's really sweet.

• @InfectedMushroom I think there is a mistake in the decklist. I counted (probably slightly off) and got 55 cards MD, meaning there is room for 4 POs and 1 other card (maybe).

• I played 4c Leovold Thieves (only green cards were Leovold and Grudge in the board) in the main event. Leovold and Notion Thief are very strong threats against Paradoxical. Went 3-0 and 2-1 and 2-0 split tickets in the sides. I had been testing and playing a Drain Gifts deck with packages like Tinker/Time Walk, Volt Key, YawgWill/Snap/Mission briefing to put together a win upon resolution but didn't feel confident so i went with my Night's Whisper Leovold/Thief/Dack/Kess valuetown control. Perfomed poorly, went 1-1-1 and drop.
    Played the same in a few Challenges and overperformed. Went 3-0, 2-0 split tickets, 2-1.

Today i played 4 Challenges with Griselbrand Oath, and transform sideboard into Paradoxical. Went 3-0 tricking people into boarding dead cards :), then had a 3-0 repeat doing the same thing. It was nuts to see people play dead cards and go "hmmm, i thought you were on Oath" and i get to reply and say "Yea, well i was a while ago, then i sideboarded 12 cards". Also had Tinker/Colossus package in the Paradoxical board, which i would bring in with more artifact removal and a little mana vs Shops instead of boarding into Paradoxical.
    Third side event i played Paradoxical first and boarded into Oath, for the funsies. Kind of a flex but was i was having a blast. Went 2-1 but i really only lost the one round due to variance and just nutty statistics. I can't be too salty but i feel some pride in how close it was and how much it was not my fault. I'm happy.
    Fourth i went 2-1 playing an Oath control brew with 1 each Niv Mizzet, Dragonlord Dromoka, Griselbrand. I lost fair and square to another Oath deck. We played a stupid weird game. I didn't show him Oath/Orcahrd in our game 1 but he saw me playing Oath earlier and boarded his 4 Oaths out. I was sure he was on Oath although game 1 i didn't see an Orchard or Oath from him either, so i boarded out some Oaths. Our game was so stupidly durdle and we traded activating Orchards so that neither of could sneak an Oath trigger. Once he hit 2 Orchards, i hit 2 Orchards. I ended that game with 10 tokens and he hardcast Grisel, i hard cast Dromoka, and he had only 6 spirits (i couldn't keep up after he hit 3rd Orchard). It was just weird, a tiny bit awful, and a lot of fun. In hindsight i should have attacked with spirits and dared him to race me since he activated more fetches and cast more Painful Truths.

Niv Mizzet is super exciting! I'm not too super fond of the design space of "do X, draw a card" or cards with the design "here's 6 abilities that may or may not have to do with each other". But Niv is awesome. I got to live the dream of Oath into Niv Mizzet, Time Walk, Oath in Griselbrand. Played against shops and we were both 6/7 and they Metamorphed my Niv to have a blocker, i By Force their Niv and resolve Twister. Such a blast.

• And unrelated, but i have 8 fbb duals and a few unlimited (all nonblue) i want to turn into 3 or 4 Bazaar if anyone wants to see them.

• Glad to see Landstill make Top8
    With all the creatures running around nowadays, I'd've been hesitant to run a Landstill deck.
    Hope there is a write up soon 🙂

Congrats to the top8!

• @francois-f

As the story goes, Coval didn't eve call the judges, and literally appealed to try lose the match, as he was unable to do so. His opponent lost because they were at a feature table, and the judges saw it and had to follow procedure.

• I scrubbed out on 4C Humans at 3-4 in Vintage Finals. Fun, interactive magic, but nothing for the history books.

Legacy I played Belcher (PEOPLE'S CANNON) just for fun and lots of downtime. After dropping first match to Miracles, I went on a 7-0 tear to get to the feature tables at 7-1! I lost (BARELY) to Show and Tell in Game 3 (He was at 10 life after a failed gamble on a Burning Wish line, I was 1 short for Empty, and had to settle on a Grapeshot from sideboard). He Casts Show and Tell, and he shows me Griseldaddy. I show him Belcher, I have a Taiga on board, and am looking for 2 permanant mana sources OR an LED to belch. I am at 20, so I have 2 live draws to get there. First draw is SSG, so now I can draw any of the 7 remaining spirit guides to belch (and he cannot stop it!). Alas, it was not meant to be. I finished the day in Legacy at 8-3, good enough for 50th place. Woohoo!

• @volrathxp Highest placing unpowered player was Andrew Franks on Mono Red Blood moon. I lost to him in round 6, on my way to 8-2 and 16th.

• @neo_altoid

Thanks! I'll try to hunt down his list.

• @aeonsovarius Not sure how serious you are at picking up Bazaars but I have an extra one currently ...

• @volrathxp let me know when you find it 😉 I think there were seven total players on mono red, i want to try and get them into a think tank and perfect a list, or just run andrews lol

• TMD Supporter

If anyone has that sean o'brien list i would be interested seemed pretty cool.

• @garbageaggro

@JACO has the lists and I think will be scanning them similar to Waterbury or NYSE or one of the other large Vintage tournaments from last year.

• @neo_altoid
    Well, that's pretty different.
    I looked at the top 8 games, he played perfectly. I'm not sure i would have done as well. Congratulations to all players.
    But once again, i'm convinced you really need to be in a "good day" to perform that great.

• @chubbyrain do you have an idea of when this might occur?

• @garbageaggro

Sean O'Brian
    "Requiem for a Teeg"

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Null Rod
    2 Leovold, Emmissary of Trest
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Manglehorn
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Assassins Trophy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Mox E/J/P/S
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Kambal, Consul of Absolution
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Abrubt Decay
    1 Steel Sabotage
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Nature's Claim

@volrathxp

I don't know but Jaco typically has a pretty quick turnaround time. Ryan Eberhart and I were just granted access to the scanned lists so that we can do our metagame analyses. Check Eternal Central's website or twitter for when the post goes live.

• @chubbyrain I sent you a DM.

• @chubbyrain said in The Eternal Weekend NA 2018 Thread:

@garbageaggro

Sean O'Brian
    "Requiem for a Teeg"

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Null Rod
    2 Leovold, Emmissary of Trest
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Manglehorn
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Assassins Trophy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Mox E/J/P/S
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Kambal, Consul of Absolution
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Abrubt Decay
    1 Steel Sabotage
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Nature's Claim

@volrathxp

I don't know but Jaco typically has a pretty quick turnaround time. Ryan Eberhart and I were just granted access to the scanned lists so that we can do our metagame analyses. Check Eternal Central's website or twitter for when the post goes live.

*O'Brien ... Thanks @ChubbyRain for typing it out.

I started off 6-0 crushing the same shops 75 4 times, crushing White Eldrazi by mounting TKS and Smasher heads on my wall and beat SotF pretty easily by controlling the yard with DRS game 1 and leaning on Ooze and lots of G mana game 2 which is almost unbeatable by current builds.

Then I got Misstepped 30 times in the next two rounds. The landstill match wasn't remotely close, my round 7 vs. Matt was pretty close. Game 1 I got a Goyf which is quite good against him and I think his hand became counterspells and he got beat down. Game 2 was bolts, snaps and bolts ... I drew Teeg one turn late and he drew DTT into the Restricted list. Game 3 I had a decent keep vs. a cantrip hand with Ancestral to Duress a Misstep. So I upkeep Ancestral on his 6 and he Missteps. His remaining 6 were Lotus, Land, Young Money x 2, Probe, Mystery Card. So he passed back to me with 6 power and infinite tokens. In past years when pyro was more prevalent I've had better solutions (Illness in the Misstep and Virulent Plague) but I had piled more PO hate in my board and didn't have a great token solution. RIP.

I beat Blaine in the last round as well. I think my deck is amazing vs. PO, SotF and shops. But probably needs some better sideboard cards vs. Misstep Stew. Probably just 2-3 Missteps. Or some Thoughtseizes to incinerate main phase mana to psuedo-Duress the first Skillstep.

Great event, had fun, met some awesome and gracious opponents who ended games with no permanents.

• Just want to note that I got ahold of the list I needed from Andrew himself. 🙂

• TMD Supporter

@chubbyrain I appreciate it, looks like a cool list

WAF/WHF