Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School

I am happy to talk about decks and also why we made the choices we did on the ban list (I was involved in a lot of the testing of the format). It is a pretty great format that hits those of us with nostalgia that starts just a little later than old school. Definitely some of the most ridiculous magic i have played in the last couple years has been middle school.

Really looking forward to putting together my old Rock and slivers decks. Gonna be a bit painful without dual lands but I'm sure the mana is there!

I was also involved in testing Middle School. It's a blast, and I am blown away by the amount of variety in the format.

@monkey_island said in Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School:

It is worth mentionning also that Portal sets are allowed which on top of my head allows:

Imperial Recruiter for Aluren
Personal Tutor for ?

Very interesting format anyway. i think they complete each other with Premodern.

Yep. Stompy gets Jungle Lions, and black gets Hymn to Tourach (Anthologies!). I'm curious to see if there is some sort of turbo-fog deck with Time Warps (Time Warp, Temporal Manipulation, Capture of Jingzhou).

@monkey_island

Oh man, the kill with Aluren+Recuiter is so Janky.

Recruiter gets Man'o'War, bouncing Recruiter, which then gets Cavern Harpy, which then gets Spike Feeder (or any lifegain dude, really).

I want to play this disaster so badly.

Have a few HyperExtended decks that improve in the switchover, given that most tutors are restricted there.

Gonna get Weird with it.

0_1540415889485_Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 5.17.15 PM.png

Exploring a 4 Necro world excites me. I like that Black Vise is there to balance it somewhat.

Wonder is psychatog is strong enough.

@neo_altoid you have infinite life. what then?

I kinda wish Mind's Desire wasn't banned (since it WAS legal in extended as a 4-of) and there's no format you can play it in as a 4-of. I might be biased but it's probably one of the funnest cards you can play, and I wonder how busted it really is. Maybe you wouldn't mind the question @garbageaggro ?

That being said a 4x Necropotence format is definitely intriguing as hell for me.

last edited by Hrishi

@mediumsteve when i googled jungle lions i found this
Jungle lions cant 'intercept'
Love that. 😃 ..... intercept!

Nostalgia reading those articles. Oh yes definitely loving those old extended than vintage now.

last edited by covetousrat

@neo_altoid You can do that one, or ghitu fireslinger, or maggot carrier with one of the life gain when a dude enters cards. The green dude that draws a card when you play a beast is pretty important i think.

@hrishi We have talked about desire a couple times. We just removed a couple other cards before formalizing the format, and wanted to make sure those were cool first (gush and monolith) both seem ok, but we wanted a little time before we let mind's desire free since both those cards could help it.

I think there is a chance it gets unbanned, but we need to figure out how fast it is relative to the rest of the format.

Is there any chance for a northeast event in this format. I just think it would be a blast.

@garbageaggro I love everything about it, except the name. I understand trying to keep with the convention established by old school, but middle school just sounds wrong to me. Maybe renaissance? Since it comes after The Dark (ages) 😂😂😂

I mean it was also very similar to the magic i played in middle school, i love the name, lol.

Been brewing ideas based on old standard/extended decks, and fondly remember running something like this.

1 Cabal Coffers
2 Starlit Sanctum
20 Swamp

4 Cabal Archon
4 Dark Supplicant
1 Graveborn Muse
2 Headhunter
4 Rotlung Reanimator
1 Scion of Darkness
2 Shepherd of Rot
1 Visara the Dreadful
4 Withered Wretch

2 Diabolic Edict
2 Smother
2 Grim Tutor
2 Mind Sludge
1 Mutilate
1 Grave Pact
2 Phyrexian Arena
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Living Death

@neo_altoid said in Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School:

Is there any chance for a northeast event in this format. I just think it would be a blast.

Be the tournament organizer you want to see in the world!

Views