I think the issue with the card is and always has been there are other better options.

Tinker is generally considered better for above stated reasons. But it is restricted, so let's say you want 2? It feels as if most people would sooner play Tezz1, Mystical tutor for Tinker, Demonic tutor for tinker, etc since those cards not only provide more versatility than just being tinker number 2, but are also way easier on your mana base as opposed to the UU needed for Transmute (plus the difference you may have to pay.)

The fact is that Tinker is a shockingly powerful card that ends the game when it's played a fair portion of the time, so you really do not want more than 1. It is also very vulnerable to a number of answers and therefore can be a liability against some decks even at 1.

The good news is that the 150-200 dollar price tag it is holding right now is stemming from Commander where Tinker is banned and Transmute will likely remain an amazing card and keep the price and usage elevated.

@protoaddct Transmute is also a staple in Old School.

@moorebrother1 said in Transmute Artifact:

Yea, I just didn't think that was the overwhelming reason the card is demanding the price tag it is right now. I don't think you can even read the number of players that play old school off a stat sheet while standing under the shadow that commander casts over it.

Well of course Tinker and Demonic Tutor are better than Transmute, not sure why this needed to be pointed out. The point would be to supplement those with Transmute.

I played a Two card monte a while back that used Transmute to the get Grindstone, Key, Time Vault and Painter's Servant for cheap. Wasn't anything great, but the Transmute did the job to get the combo pieces reliably.

@protoaddct said in Transmute Artifact:

@moorebrother1 said in Transmute Artifact:

Yea, I just didn't think that was the overwhelming reason the card is demanding the price tag it is right now. I don't think you can even read the number of players that play old school off a stat sheet while standing under the shadow that commander casts over it.

If you want evidence of old school warping prices look at the price of Strip Mine.

I think grim monolith with this card is very interesting. Maybe adding Paradox Engine and go for a big mana loop.

I know there is a bunch of artifact hate but this would play a lot of blue so it could defend itself. I've been looking for a deck that can break Paradox Engine.

I have fun playing TA with Coveted Jewel, chaining them into other Jewels, and a Sharuum in the end. But that's maybe just the child in me.

@wagner said in Transmute Artifact:

Well of course Tinker and Demonic Tutor are better than Transmute, not sure why this needed to be pointed out. The point would be to supplement those with Transmute.

I played a Two card monte a while back that used Transmute to the get Grindstone, Key, Time Vault and Painter's Servant for cheap. Wasn't anything great, but the Transmute did the job to get the combo pieces reliably.

I think you are missing my point. The competition to be in your 60/75 is already fierce. Once you get all the "required cards" out of the way, of which there is a lot for most tinker style decks, you really only have a few flexible slots to fit in cards. Given the option of having a second tinker that is not quite as good as tinker, versus more counter magic or whatever, and then realizing that you already have other cards in the list that can function as a stand in to tinker like the above listed cards, most people realize it is no longer worth it.

Compound that with the fact that most artifacts in your deck are 0-1 mana cards and the thing you want to search for range from like 2-12 and it is a much more costly proposition. I think most of the time people just rightfully look at the card and say "this is too costly to use and I do not really need it"

I always enjoyed the sidebard Transmute in the 2014-2015 era SCV decks with burning wish.

The MD slot seems not powerful enough to warrant multiples, but when those md slots are shared among a wish board the possibilities open up I think.

Not sure how viable a wish board or burning wish is in current format. Maybe when/if PO gets the axe along with some other cards then Transmute/burning wish will open up as viable again.

Couldn't Goblin Welder make Transmute Artifact, insane? I know you are 3 for 1ing yourself but it is repeatable and represents very good value if done correctly I would imagine.

I think you have to look at it the other way. Yes sometimes transmute aritfact is entomb for welder, but is welder good enough to play now, and does a UU entomb with upside do enough to make it playable. I think the answer is no.

@garbageaggro I agree, I am just saying that if someone would want to play Transmute Artifact, then they may want to consider Goblin Welder.

@rat3de Well, let's play that out. What's the best line here?

T1 - Land, Welder
T2 - Mox, Mox, Transmute away one Mox to bin Inkwell/Sphinx, Weld out?

That's not too shabby but it's a pretty long line of things to have to occur.

@MaximumCDawg I agree wholeheartedly, I was just saying that it may be worth adding to help Transmute out big boys without having to make huge amounts of mana. I think if you wanted to play Transmute it would be boring to only be tutoring out small things like Vault/Key, Top or whatever other useful artifact you can find.

@maximumcdawg said in Transmute Artifact:

T1 - Land, Welder

You only need one mox and one volc/rainbow land there. I think a Vintage Reanimator may be better though.

@john-cox I think you need two moxen; one to Transmute away, and one to Weld away.

@rat3de said in Transmute Artifact:

@MaximumCDawg I agree wholeheartedly, I was just saying that it may be worth adding to help Transmute out big boys without having to make huge amounts of mana. I think if you wanted to play Transmute it would be boring to only be tutoring out small things like Vault/Key, Top or whatever other useful artifact you can find.

Sure, but at that point I think I like Trinket Mage better for most uses. It misses Vault but gets everything else.

last edited by MaximumCDawg

@maximumcdawg said in Transmute Artifact:

T1 - Land, Welder

If you have this set up then you also have T1-T2 Land Mox Mox Tinker without needing the welder and you can get blightsteel if don't want inky.

You can also have
T1 - Underground, Mox, Demonic for Tinker
T2 - Mox or land, Tinker

T1 - Land, EOT Mystical tutor or Vampiric tutor for Tinker
T2 - Mox, mox or land, Tinker

Once again, I assume your not playing 4 copies of transmute and most likely running 1, so this argument is not about having more cards to draw into to get there and not about liklihood of drawing it in the opener. There are just better cards that support better lines of play in this case. It does look like a better fit with time vault where the mana cost differential is not substantial, but even there I cannot truly justify what we are trying to make happen.

@MaximumCDawg I could be wrong, but I think you may have missed my point about Welder. The whole point of running Welder in a Transmute Artifact deck is that you would be able to tutor up things bigger 1 cmc and if necessary not have to pay the cost. Not only does Trinket Mage miss Vault in a build like this, but it also misses every other fatty you could ever want, such as Blightsteel Colossus, Inkwell Leviathan and Sphinx of the Steel Winds (which I think may be underplayed). Now if you are not running those, then you most likely do not need to be playing a Transmute Artifact deck, which is what this whole thread is about.

@protoaddct Of COURSE Tinker is better in 99% of cases, the point is to play another similar card to use when you don't have Tinker or cannot tutor for it.

@Wagner

What is the circumstance you are in where you cannot tutor for tinker but can play Transmute? The only one I can actually think of that is realistic to think could happen is Meddling Mage, but mage can just as easily name Transmute if they wanted to. Things that prevent you from going into your deck like Aven Mindcensor affect all these cards equally.

If you have a tutor in hand and your options are tinker or transmute, in what situation would you pick transmute in the course of a normal magic game?

I'll put this another way. I would sooner run my first copy of personal tutor than my first of transmute in almost every situation I can come up with, and that card sees no play.

Views