Question for fun: What card from Alpha-Dark could be restricted someday? (e.g. What ancient cards have an undiscovered power level.)

[Note: Be original, leave your thoughts on Workshop at the door.]

This isn't meant to be a banned/restricted discussion or a commentary on the current metagame, but more a fun exercise in thought. There are hundreds of cards from Alpha through The Dark that have really never been powerful enough for tournament decks, and many more that are now strictly worse than modern cards.

What cards from the early sets do you think have mechanics or a power level that is not yet discovered or powerful enough in the current meta? What obscure card could you see being powerful in Vintage someday, given the right supporting cards or a different meta.

Looking for discussion on cards like Power Artifact, Black Vise, Transmute Artifact, Candelabra. Not suggestions like Mishra's Workshop or Mana Drain.

last edited by joshuabrooks

Oath dominates all with the plethora of Legendary creatures printed by WOTC, Karakas gets played as a 4 of in all decks, considered too strong in the mirror. KARAKAS gets restricted.

There was* an interaction with Su-Chi and transmute artifact that let you effectively transmute it as a ritual, or transmute sundering titan as disruption. I think Transmute has alot of potential...
Even if its just transmute for lotus.
Ichneumon Druid Might have potential as an anti storm/Jeskai side board guy in some kind of BUG deck.
Preacher would be good if Ballista went away, or as a dedicated side board card against oath.

last edited by John Cox

If they unerattad Transmute Artifact and let it resolve as the card reads it would have to restricted. One sided Armageddon with Sundering Titan.

Wait, how did Transmute Artifact change? Does it not work with Su-Chi anymore? I ask because I've been doing this in Old School...

@drstreetmention If you don't pay the rest of the ability (sac/pay), your searched up artifact goes to the graveyard before seeing play.

It's a UU Entomb for artifacts if you want.

Here's a link to the current text: https://scryfall.com/card/me4/69/transmute-artifact?utm_source=mci

Here is the original text: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=202616&type=card

I agree with CountDaBubba to some extent. If it was unerrated It would change vintage and legacy until something happened.
I would note that it would probably be a $400ish card if they did that, because its playable in both formats as a 4 of and on the reserve list. Wizards does not like restricting/banning expensive cards.
I really doubt that this card will ever receive errata change.

last edited by John Cox

if we're counting potential errata cases, then lotus vale, scorched ruins, and i guess mox diamond count. as-written they are much more powerful.

I feel like, one card that has the potential to be insane in the right environment is City in a Bottle, prepare your phones fore much googling. Karakas is a way better suggestion though.

@nungnum said in Question for fun: What card from Alpha-Dark could be restricted someday? (e.g. What ancient cards have an undiscovered power level.):

I feel like, one card that has the potential to be insane in the right environment is City in a Bottle, prepare your phones fore much googling. Karakas is a way better suggestion though.

City in a Bottle has actually already seen some sideboard play.

@nungnum friend currently sideboards city in his moon stompy deck because it gives him more game vs survival and dredge

I'm confused about Transmute Artifact. The current oracle text feels like a reasonable interpretation of "Transmute Artifact fails and the card is discarded" to me. What are people proposing the errata look like, and what could you do with it that would make it relevant?

@brass-man the printed text says to take an artifact from your library and put it into play, then sac another artifact and pay the difference in mana cost or sac them both. The errata'd text says if you pay the difference put it into play, otherwise put it into your graveyard. The printed text would give you 2 triggers on Sundering Titan if you sacced a mox and paid 0, whereas the errata gives you an Entomb effect without the comes into play and leaves play triggers occuring.

@brass-man said in Question for fun: What card from Alpha-Dark could be restricted someday? (e.g. What ancient cards have an undiscovered power level.):

I'm confused about Transmute Artifact. The current oracle text feels like a reasonable interpretation of "Transmute Artifact fails and the card is discarded" to me. What are people proposing the errata look like, and what could you do with it that would make it relevant?

They want it to be Flash.

There is a cycle of cards in Legends that have a nice potential. The black one is Touch of Darkness (the other four are exactly similar). They never saw any play back in the days but there is a nice combo that is played in Commander with Horobi, Death's wail.
When Horobi is on the field, Touch of darkness is a 1cc instant wrath of god that hits only opponent and that can't be countered (very difficult to be more true). Quite neat !
Horobi is not Vintage playable but if a Vintage playable similar card was printed it could lead in the death of all creature decks and so would deserve some restriction.

last edited by albarkhane

@albarkhane Nah, a 2 card combo Wrath of God is very, very bad in Vintage IMO. Even if Horobi costed one.

Brass Man

It's just too good. Nobody can stop it. Is this something you really want there to be two of?

how about basalt monolith? Nothing jumps out right now, but if we're talking has the potential for brokeness down the road, 3 free mana sitting there until you need it is something to look at.

@fsecco yes i agree. In my mind, the potential is that we have a very easy way to target any chosen creatures on the battlefield (whoever they belong to). I don't know what we could do with that in the maybe future but i like the potential of it.

@brass-man said in Question for fun: What card from Alpha-Dark could be restricted someday? (e.g. What ancient cards have an undiscovered power level.):

Brass Man

It's just too good. Nobody can stop it. Is this something you really want there to be two of?

Still relevant 25 years later!

Views