[GRN] Mission Briefing

• How are people feeling about this card so far? Compared to Snapcaster and/or Preordain? Thinking about using this in a control/combo deck.

• @nower1990 I've been doing alot of testing with it. It's been great in gifts ungiven decks

• @nower1990 Not loving it, I may go back to 1 or 2 Snapcaster in Blue Moon

• I think it has a home in Legacy Miracles (with Mentors and Predict), but that's probably about it.

• I've started testing this card in Oath. So far it has been awesome! Using two Mission Briefings allowed me to take strong new lines of play. Oath has experienced a downturn over the last four months or so because of various decks and the lines that were available to them. I think this card gives the deck the options that it needs handle and take advantage of situations that it previously could not.

• @jimtosetti care to exemplify?

• @fsecco Sure, you can choose to play more counter spells in your Oath deck such as Pyroblast and Misdirection. You can also use Merchant Scroll, Demonic Tutor, and Night's Whisper. These cards allow you to defend against your opponents sorcery of instant speed blue spells by waiting with Mission Briefing to cast a Force of Will, Flusterstorm, Pyroblast, or whatever counter spell you might have. The tutors allow you to search up an instant speed cantrip, or whatever else you might need, and threaten to cast it again at instant speed.

I typically did not play Gitaxian Probe, but the options stated above have incentivized me to do so. These play patterns give you more options to combat Paradoxical Outcome without requiring an artifact that is potentially counterproductive to Oath's strategy. It is basically the Snapcaster Mage effect that the deck needed. The ability to cast more counter spells like Pyroblast and Flusterstorm is especially good against Teferi Control decks. The new creature card Emissary of Grudges is also a really good sideboard option against this deck.

• A specific example of this card producing value was the following:
    I was on Ritual Storm playing against Oath.
    I cast a big must counter threat and my opponent has two options. His hand was force, Mission briefing, blue card and he had another force in his yard.
    Option 1: play Force from hand and pitch blue card (or mission briefing)
    Option 2: play Mission briefing to cast force from the yard and pitch his blue card, and still have a force in hand. Normally that doesn't sound so good, but the briefings surveil 2 made sure he would draw another blue card next turn to have his second force online.

It's not an insane play, and iam not sure how good the card actually is, but it definitely opens up new plays for a deck not really able to cast snaps, and produces marginal value. It is definitely playable, that's for sure, is it really good? No idea, needs more testing.

• @aelien On its own, it is probably not as good as Snapcaster Mage. However, I think its value as far as Oath is concerned is that it presents new options for the deck. Another example of this card's worth is casting Ravenous Trap multiple times against Dredge. You could also recast Timewalk, which is a very strong play for Oath.

• Just got a gifts control pile vs PO and won.

Mission Briefing, Force of Will, Mindbreak Trap, Flusterstorm

Briefing adds alot of redundancy to gifts control!

• @jimtosetti cool. You're playing 2 right? Is double U being any awkward?
    I've been trying it in Miracles and it feels great - although Legacy is a format where having the 2/1 body feels much more important than Vintage. But the synergies it has with Predict, miracles, FoW and Counterbalance are not to be frowned upon.

• @fsecco Because Oath is a combo deck you just need to survive until you get the combo working. Even if you only have two blue mana, using it for Mission Briefing to hold up counter spells to just keep you in the game is sufficient for that purpose.

• @fsecco Here is the list I have been testing. I'm 4-1 so far. The game I lost was my first match of the morning where Tendrils was the last card in my opponent's hand, so all I had to do was not cast anything before it. So, what do I do? I cast a spell and add to the storm count! Otherwise I was in a very dominant position.

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Inferno Titan
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
    4 Oath of Druids
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Mental Misstep
    4 Force of Will
    1 Gush
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Mission Briefing
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Misdirection
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Forbidden Orchard
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Strip Mine
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Preordain
    1 Time Walk
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Night's Whisper

Sideboard
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Emissary of Grudges
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Muldrotha, the Gravetide
    2 Nature's Claim
    1 Ancient Grudge
    4 Ravenous Trap
    1 Sudden Shock
    1 Firespout
    1 Show and Tell

• @fsecco the current deck I'm playing was completely built around mission briefing, it was a 4 of, now it's a 3 of. It's double blue isn't a problem for the build I have. It's very much control and not combo

• @tittliewinks22 But what does briefing do to you that Snapcaster didn't do? I mean, what's a build around deck featuring 4 Missionn Briefing that wasn't possible with 4 Snapcasters?

@JimTosetti I don't see Oath as a combo deck, specially not decks with Gisela and Inferno Titan. But yeah I can see whan Briefing can do for the deck. 🙂

• @fsecco having the ability to cast cards for alternate cost from the graveyard has been very relevant for me in testing. Mindbreak/Ravenous trap, gush, misdirection and force of will from the graveyard is something snapcaster can't do effectively.

On top of that I'm using Taigam to give mission briefing uncounterable and rebound.

• @tittliewinks22 Interesting. I'm very excited by Mission Briefing, but the casting cost and neutral card advantage make me wary. If you Brief a FoW, you're losing a lot of cards. Snapcaster is great because he's always CA.
    I guess this card just makes Gush never able to be unrestricted again though 😛

• I'm still not very used to using this card optimally, but I think this card will see some play in Vintage. More than in Legacy or Modern. It's really awesome in control-combo type decks where you need that little extra draw to get your combo started, or that one card to counter a spell before you go off the next turn. Casting Gush, Misdirection, and Fow (Daze even, in tight situations) for their alternate costs, Mindbreak trap, and so on, with just two blue mana in mid-late game makes your deck much more threatening than Snapcaster. If you leave two or three blue mana up, the opponent has to think, 'are they going to cast Mana Drain? Mission Briefing? FoW and then Mana Drain? Misdirection then Mission Briefing?' etc. etc.. This is in addition to all the things that Snapcaster would normally be able to flashback, provided you have enough mana (which is usually not a big problem).

Two blue mana are not a big deal for blue decks (which are the decks that would be running this card main deck) mid-late game; if you draw it early you can pitch it to FoW or Misdirection, or put it back into the library with Brainstorm. Obviously for Pardoxical Outcome, Delver and such, Mission Briefing does not replace Snapcaster, but for many other decks, Mission Briefing seems to introduce many more interesting and effective aspects of play than Snapcaster.

I don't know how much play this card will see in Legacy and Modern. I don't think there are nearly as many uses with this card in either format compared to Vintage, given that draw spells are cheap, and counterspells are more varied and versatile in Vintage. That's what I hope, at least, so I can pick this card up for cheaper than it is right now.

• @nower1990 I'm 4-2 with it in Legacy Miracles. Games I lost weren't due to that card but to stuff like BR Reanimator turn 1 combo with Chancellor backup or Show and Tell with Boseiju. The card is real and is great with Predict (although I believe AK Miracles to be better right now). In Vintage, in theory, I find the UUU harder to achieve (yes, 3 blue because USUALLY you'll be flashing back blue spels that cost mana).

• I'm testing one in bomberman and a playset in Legacy solidarity minus the Snapcasters. So far, feels better than SC in solidarity since it actually digs us further into our deck and more likely to chain multiple Mission Briefing ,thanks to Hightide.

WAF/WHF