TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly

• I'm only aware of iTunes as a vector for getting the podcast onto people's apps. Is there some better alternative?

• @brass-man I know there is the "Stitcher" App - it's referenced at the end of some of the podcasts I listen to (e.g., "Find this podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, and wherever else you find your podcasts"), but I'm not sure if there's a separate submission/aggregation process for that app.

• @brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

I'm only aware of iTunes as a vector for getting the podcast onto people's apps. Is there some better alternative?

To submit to iTunes, you submit an RSS feed. That RSS feed may be used by any app. (Though being listed in iTunes certainly helps people find you)

iTunes has a feed-checker you can use that you'll have to pass before they let you submit your cast.

• @brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

I'm only aware of iTunes as a vector for getting the podcast onto people's apps. Is there some better alternative?

HTTP?

• @nedleeds said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

@brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

HTTP?

IETF RFC 1945? From 1996? Nah. That shit's outta date.

• @brass-man it showed up for my on the iTunes podcast app on my iPhone.

G

• @thecravenone said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

@brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

To submit to iTunes, you submit an RSS feed. That RSS feed may be used by any app. (Though being listed in iTunes certainly helps people find you)

iTunes has a feed-checker you can use that you'll have to pass before they let you submit your cast.

So am I right in concluding that this means there already is an rss feed? If so, what is it so that I can add it to my podcast player.

• TMD Supporter

I use PocketCasts on my android phone, and the podcast is there YAY!

• TMD Supporter

Same for me, using Overcast on iOS. Excited to give it a listen!

• For @joep or anyone else who wants to add it manually, the RSS feed is http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:474896430/sounds.rss

• @brass-man thank you! That is awesome 🙂

• I just had a chance to listen to the podcast. Really great you're putting in this work to give us more vintage content.

I like the concept of shoter (than so many insane plays) episodes, and I think that roughly 1 hour is a good length. Obviously I only have 1 episode to go by now, but the duration seemed appropriate for the topics discussed.

I like the idea of rotating guests, and I really enjoyed listening to Brian Kelly's discussion of the snakestill deck. I like to hear how other people reason when deckbuilding and experimenting, and I think that there is none greater than Brian for this at the moment. Great guest to get this show on the road.

I do have some questions about the snakestill deck for Brian. For a deck that wants a fast standstill in play, why was the 4th standstill cut?

I like the inevitability aspect for a single champion of wits. However, the mishra's factory weakness was glossed over a little fast in my opinion. How does this deck fare against the workshop decks with factories? Do the standstills come out? Or do you assume the opponent plays as if you have all the factories?

I also appreciate that you at least tipped on the current prices of power and duals. Mainly because I never hear anyone about it, yet is has a profound impact on my personal ability to play vintage. I don't play online, and with the current prices for power and duals, I will not be able to complete a set (I have a sapphire and an ancestral), and the average tournament (which are now nearly non existent in the Netherlands) will not be able to give power as prizes.

Keep up the good work! Love to have a new podcast to listen to.

As a point of improvement for the future, I would like to hear a little more discussion. Right now it's more an interview with Brian than a discussion. I woul personlly prefer to hear more back-and-forth between you two, uncovering where you make different decisions and what that results in.

• @brass-man just heard the Brian Kelly episode, and I loved it! Do you (or the podcast) have a patreon? I'll definitely give at least $2/mo.

• This was excellent the first time and will be getting a second listen.

• TMD Supporter

• If you had Brian Kelly as a recurring guest I don't think the conversation would run dry for a year. Wonderfully done.

• @hierarchnoble Couldn't agree more. Brian Kelly is a treasure.

• Thank you to everyone for these really generous comments. It means a lot. I love the community back; there's no format other than Vintage for me.

In positive news, despite its "12-overlap rule" constrained version
    that choked on mana in game 3 of its VSL match, Snakestill is now entering a phase of peak performance, 5-0 again twice in the past few days and winning the 48 person Vintage Challenge on Saturday:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/vintage-challenge-2018-07-15

I started brewing a few things recently and every time I tested them, I thought not only "whoa, this needs work" but "damn, I wish I was playing the Snake deck right now since that could handle this situation." It's pretty close to a final refined form, with flex slots always open as the meta changes and it's very enjoyable for me to pilot.

There are some good questions below:

@joep said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

I do have some questions about the snakestill deck for Brian. For a deck that wants a fast standstill in play, why was the 4th standstill cut?

That's a good question. The answer foremost is in empirical results, the versions with 3 outperform the versions with 4. I think omitting the 4th and instead playing Treasure Cruise (which was absent from the 4x Standstill VSL list due to the overlap rule) is correct. It's also a hedge against the fact that in a less frequent but real % of cases, Standstill will be a useless topdeck because the battlefield has been lost, so this prevents flooding on a situationally dead card. Snakestill exists to abuse Standstill without being beholden to it.

I like the inevitability aspect for a single champion of wits. However, the mishra's factory weakness was glossed over a little fast in my opinion. How does this deck fare against the workshop decks with factories? Do the standstills come out? Or do you assume the opponent plays as if you have all the factories?

Another very good question. The answer is that all of the Standstills stay in except the fourth one (if you are running it) which comes out only on the draw. I was initially hesitant to play a fast Standstill against Shops or Landstill because of the fear of opposing Factories. What I've learned is that you ignore it and play the Standstill turn 1 if possible. The reason for this is that you are able to use Standstill as an actual stall card. I would rather break my own Standstill at 6 life at EoT on Turn 10 with 6 lands and no Spheres in play than get bullrushed on their first turn. It's totally worth the 3 cards that they will discard and I will not draw from that particular Standstill. I lost only 1 game to low life from this approach (double factory, triple Wasteland) while winning over a dozen directly because of it.

What usually happens is you play something at EoT that often bounces or kills their Mishra, or you play Dig through Time, Ancestral, Brainstorm, or Snapcaster and then you untap unimpeded with a huge mana base and the usual array of blue options that tends to end up with players taking 3 turns in a row and passing back with some planeswalker, more creatures, and a Null Rod in play. This is so much better than keeping Standstill in hand and facing an Inspector, Overseer, Thorn, and 6 mana on the table "because I was scared of Mishra's Factory." 🙂

Dredge is the match-up where Standstill is dreadful. I board them all out except for 1 since it's occasionally part of complex sequences needed to get there (including decking them) contrasted with other things in the sb that have no use, like Mindbreak Trap. Boarding all of them out isn't unreasonable.

• First of all, thank you for the insightful answers! I really like the small peek into how you come to certain unexpected results. The crux really seems to be trying something strange, unusual or even counterintuitive and then get some actual play experience with it. Kind of makes me sad that I get to play so little actual vintage. But it's good to see people like yourself coming to such fascinating conclusions and brews.

If this conversation takes it too far off topic, then my apologies.

@brianpk80 said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

That's a good question. The answer foremost is in empirical results, the versions with 3 outperform the versions with 4. I think omitting the 4th and instead playing Treasure Cruise (which was absent from the 4x Standstill VSL list due to the overlap rule) is correct. It's also a hedge against the fact that in a less frequent but real % of cases, Standstill will be a useless topdeck because the battlefield has been lost, so this prevents flooding on a situationally dead card. Snakestill exists to abuse Standstill without being beholden to it.

Since I have literally 0 experience playing with or against standstill, I had no real clue why you would play only 3. Especially when the comment was to play one as fast as possible. The answer seems reasonable, and another example why testing is so important, because this seems to be one of those things that you would figure out quite easily with enough practice games.
    Is the conclusion to play 3 standstill specific to how this deck operates? Or do you also have this with more regular standstill decks? It seems to me that with classical standstill there would be more board positions (even when slightly behind) where you could play the standstill.

@brianpk80 said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

Another very good question. The answer is that all of the Standstills stay in except the fourth one (if you are running it) which comes out only on the draw. I was initially hesitant to play a fast Standstill against Shops or Landstill because of the fear of opposing Factories. What I've learned is that you ignore it and play the Standstill turn 1 if possible. The reason for this is that you are able to use Standstill as an actual stall card. I would rather break my own Standstill at 6 life at EoT on Turn 10 with 6 lands and no Spheres in play than get bullrushed on their first turn. It's totally worth the 3 cards that they will discard and I will not draw from that particular Standstill. I lost only 1 game to low life from this approach (double factory, triple Wasteland) while winning over a dozen directly because of it.

What usually happens is you play something at EoT that often bounces or kills their Mishra, or you play Dig through Time, Ancestral, Brainstorm, or Snapcaster and then you untap unimpeded with a huge mana base and the usual array of blue options that tends to end up with players taking 3 turns in a row and passing back with some planeswalker, more creatures, and a Null Rod in play. This is so much better than keeping Standstill in hand and facing an Inspector, Overseer, Thorn, and 6 mana on the table "because I was scared of Mishra's Factory." 🙂

This is an eye opener! And a perfect example of what I meant with doing something counterintuitive (at least for me) and just trying it out. For me the question would be, how do you come to the idea to test out just playing the standstill.
    In hindsight, this seems completely reasonable. It's a 4-for-1 for your opponent (disregarding the discarding) that buys you a lot of time. That is not a lot different from casting 2 force of wills to 4-for-2 yourself to buy some time in the early turns.

Does the equation change a lot between the different (workshop) archtypes? Terra Nova seems to be the most capable of deploying the manlands and waste effects. Then again, after reading your explanation, that might nog even seem that bad. You might need to break the standstill a turn earlier to preserve enough life, but that seems to be it. But then again, that is me theorycrafting without any real experience. So to you the question, how is that in practice?

Also, would a deck like merfolk pose a problem preboard? They have the manlands, in addition to playinng some permission to capitalize better on you breaking the standstill. They also play creatures to make the board unfavorable for a standstill really quickly. Not that it is a heavily played deck, but it is always on the fringes I guess.

• @brass-man I look forward to following this podcast once you have them on Google Play!

WAF/WHF