Interesting Decknames and Card-nicknames

It's called Death & Taxes because of the famous quote:

"...but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

Another thing that could be just as certain was Magic players wanting to build White Weenie in every card pool. Additionally, Rishadan Port, Wasteland, and eventually Thalia, Guardian of Thraben were printed, and their "tax" on mana production doubled down on the name.

last edited by Guest

I liked the Bazaar Control deck from like, 2003, 2004, or 2005 (Can't remember) that was called "Your Mom". the deck's engine was Bazaar and Deep Analysis, because of course....

Your Mom LOVES deep anal

A friend had a deck long ago that he called "Bobs over Baghdad" that played Dark Confidants and Bazaar of Baghdad. I may have a very outdated list hanging around my computer somewhere.

Someone on Twitter posted a deck called "Snowflakes" - Snow lands casting humans that get triggered.

@thecravenone said in Interesting Decknames and Card-nicknames:

A friend had a deck long ago that he called "Bobs over Baghdad" that played Dark Confidants and Bazaar of Baghdad. I may have a very outdated list hanging around my computer somewhere.

That reminds me of an old Vintage deck from like 2003/2004 called "Bombs over Baghdad", which was basically a Bazaar/Madness deck with Draw 7s.

Card nicknames:

• Bobby Digital aka Dark Confidant
  • Young Peezy aka Young Pyromancer
  • Griseldad aka Griselbees aka Griselknees aka Griselbrand
  • Snap aka Snappy aka Snapcaster Mage
  • JVP aka Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

Deck nicknames:

• The breakfast thing is awesome and in my opinion culminated with the survival/volrath's shapeshifter deck: Full English Breakfast
  • Team America (Bug based midrange deck) was first conceived as an inside joke amongst European players who used generally 'good cards' Americans didn't
  • The Rock (and his millions) originally named after the wrestler and represented by phyrexian plaguelord and deranged hermit + squirrels (his millions)
  • Solidarity (reset high tide) Gearhart witnessed one of his friends (Matt Elgin - Spatulaoftheages) playing in a draft with White Weenie. With multiple 1 - toughness creatures in play it seemed like he was about to be wrecked by a Nausea but he had prepared for it by boarding a copy of Solidarity. They had a good laugh about it and the deck got the name of Solidarity.

I know it's not Vintage, but I still can't figure out why they call this Legacy deck here "Nic Fit". Was the creator a chain smoker?? Can't figure it out. Even more mind boggling is "Tin Fins". Why not just call it Dark Depths Reanimator or something to that effect??

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-nic-fit-legacy

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-tin-fins-depths-legacy/

TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst [Deck thread] [Source of the name]

And its variant

Bizzaro Stormy [Deck thread] [Source of the name]

A few years ago, Star City started simplifying the deck names they used. So Canadian Threshold became RUG Delver. Ironically, in Standard, they had a deck called Solar Flare. Solar Flare was a black white deck named after an old deck by the same name. The old deck was called Solar Flare because it contained Angel of Despair, which looks like Krililn from DBZ, whose signature move is Solar Flare.

Some Legacy decks:

Can someone explain why "Keeper" has this name?

Mike Long called his version of The Deck "Keeper" on the Magic Invitational, and thus the name stuck. There is a longer story behind it, which you can google or just read my HoV chapters 🙂

@danl15243 said in Interesting Decknames and Card-nicknames:

I know it's not Vintage, but I still can't figure out why they call this Legacy deck here "Nic Fit". Was the creator a chain smoker?? Can't figure it out. Even more mind boggling is "Tin Fins". Why not just call it Dark Depths Reanimator or something to that effect??

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-nic-fit-legacy

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-tin-fins-depths-legacy/

"Tin Fins" is named after a Sea-Lab episode that advertises an onion burst entree at a place called "Grisselbees" (Griselbrand). This takes place in an episode about reanimating the characters as sharks that later go on a rampage.

@danl15243

Nic Fit actually came about because the original guy who created the deck (Tao) was listening to the song by Sonic Youth of the same name ("Nic Fit") when he was creating the decklist and thought it sounded cool.

@danl15243 said in Interesting Decknames and Card-nicknames:

Even more mind boggling is "Tin Fins". Why not just call it Dark Depths Reanimator or something to that effect??

I can't believe I didn't comment on this one earlier. When Tin Fins plays Dark Depths, it's called Ice Station Zebra

@smmenen a come on, you tease. Make this the thread Google will lead to when people look for an explanation.

Views