SMIP # 79: The Battlebond & SCGCon Preview

• TMD Supporter

http://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-79-battlebond-and-scg-power-nine-previews/

Kevin Cron and Steve Menendian preview two Battlebond cards, as well as the upcoming return to Star City Games’ Power Nine Vintage tournament series at SCG Con. Thanks to Wizards of the Coast for sending us these preview cards to share!

Play
    Podcast (somanyinsaneplays): Download (Duration: 1:16:23 — 85.7MB)

0:01:00: Battlebond Previews
    0:09:40: VSL Update
    0:29:30: Tournament Results: TMD Open 19 and Eternal Weekend Europe
    0:45:00: SCG Con Metagame Predictions
    Total Runtime: 1:16:23
    Show Notes
    – TMD Open 19 Top 15 Decklists
    – TMD Open 19 Organizer’s Report
    – TMD Open 19 Winner’s Report
    – Eternal Weekend Europe 2018 Top 32 Decklists
    – Eternal Weekend Europe 2018 Metagame Breakdown

• Started listening and I'm already sad they didn't give you guys Arena Rectors preview 😛

• I enjoyed this a lot, especially the Metagame analysis and prediction.

This tournament has very unique attributes (Price, non-proxy, location, timing) which I was pleasantly surprised that you debated and came to a logical consensus on. For what it’s worth, I think there will be more Jeskai and less Shops which is more in line with Steve than Kevin’s predictions.

I may have missed this, but I would have liked for a prediction of attendance, because I think that will determine a lot of the Metagame. My thought is somewhere between 100 and 150 players and I think the expected metagame will be different at 100 vs 150 players. Vintage is a format with a lot of die hards who show up and play their deck regardless of what is at the top of the heap. I think that if this event got to 200 players the meta would more closely resemble NA EW 2017 than Waterbury.

One thing which is more a compliment to the work that Ryan Matt do than a criticism of your analysis is the limited value of just having Top8 data as compared to full MW% by archetype. I know you cannot control what data is published and available, but in your analysis I think it would be beneficial to spend less time stressing what deck won the event. It goes without saying, but there are a lot of factors other than what archetype someone played that contribute to whether someone makes Top8 or not let alone wins the event outright. I think more value could be drawn from looking at the non-stock cards in the lists rather than Workshops Top8%.

• @smmenen Steve, how do I ask for a card review in the next podcast? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Tezzeret 🙂

• @fsecco Did we get a review for Teferi?

• @chubbyrain I actually don't remember but I guess not. But they say they usually don't review cards because people don't ask for them and they don't see it. So I want to ask for Tezz 🙂

• TMD Supporter

We didn't review any cards from Battlebond. We just previewed the 2 cards we were given. This wasn't a Battlebond set review, just a Battlebond preview and SCGCON preview show.

• @smmenen Teferi was from Dominaria. Did it get reviewed and I missed it?

• Looking back, apparently Teferi was missed in the Dominaria discussion. @Smmenen I'm not sure if you typically do this, but I think it would be worth it to spend a significant period of time discussing the card and where/how you see it being utilized going forward. From just SCGCON, you have Josh Lalo in 4th, Chris Hanson in 17th, Ryan Fisher in 25th, and Jared Lentz in 26th, all running the card in various UWx control shells. I think it would be worthwhile for your listeners and I would enjoy hearing yours and Kevin's take on Teferi.

• TMD Supporter

We say this all the time, but I'll remind folks:

We only review cards that are requested by listeners, and we invite folks - multiple times - to make requests. You can make requests via email to our email account, here or on twitter.

• @smmenen Consider Tezzeret requested then 😄

• TMD Supporter

Such requests need to arrive in advance of our recording 🙂 I wish someone had requested Teferi, but alas, no one did.

• @smmenen Do you ever review cards that have not been personally requested of you to review but that you would personally like to? If not, have you ever considered it?

• @smmenen Well then, here's my list of cards I would like to hear your thoughts on from Battlebond and M19:

Spellseeker
    Arena Rector
    Archon of Valor's Reach
    Stunning Reversal

Runic Armasaur
    Sai, Master Thopterist
    Alpine Moon
    Isolate
    Remorseful Cleric
    Tezzeret, Artifice Master
    Amulet of Safekeeping
    Suncleanser