@serracollector yeah, I’ve tried Teeg before- just lost too many times to tutor+Tinker or Mentor+cantrips+Time Walk 🤷🏻♂

apologies if this is not the appropriate place to put this but i'm going to stream this deck a little tonight if anyone wants to come hang out!! https://www.twitch.tv/kaluma47

Went 5-1 on the night: 3-0 vs shops, 1-1 vs Four Color Pile, 1-0 vs UWR standstill. Really like the plan against shops, got to play Brian Kelly while he wasn't on oath, and won a lot of games without ever activating Survival. Overall, really fun! Great list you put together @wfain ! Slots I'm going to play with are Leovold (for Kambal) and Wispmare (for Chains of Mephastopheles), but the list really does feel very powerful.

@kaluma How many times did you get the engine Bazaar - Vengevine - Hollow One running?

I am also playing a Survival list, but without Bazaar, Vengevine and Hollow One. Instead I am running more hate with Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Varolz - Scar Striped, Tocatli Honor Guard and Phyrexian Dreadnought.

I had lots of trouble against control with Tinker - Blightsteel Colossus on second or third turn.

@kaluma did you draw Cradle very much? Did it work ok or should it revert to another dual? Or Riftstone Portal?

3-2 with the above list. Close losses to Outcome/Mentor and Shops. Beat Shops, Team Leo, and Steel City Vault (I think, could’ve been an Outcome deck with a Notion Thief 🤷🏻♂️)

Gonna try @kaluma idea of losing the Leovold in favor of another Thalia and replacing the Thalia in the board with a Chains of Mephistopheles.

@quo Bazaar was great. used it all the time to filter, dump things in the GY, cast rootwallas and hollow ones. This league it was the driving engine of the deck. Also uncounterable!

@wfain Drew cradle one time and it was good. Riftstone portal I had to play as a land once and never ended up in the GY. I could see that being a second fetchable white land or blue land for being able to cast shops SB cards through wastelands.

I'm trying -leovold, -wispmare, +kambal, +chains right now.

@kaluma I’m scared to cut Wispmare- no way to kill Leyline and -1 way to kill Oath seems icky to me, but I'll try it.

Edit: Tried it, went 4-1. Having second Thalia in the main led to a pretty funny game against a Blue Tinker deck: T1 he played a land and Preordain, I played Bazaar, Emerald, Lotus- activate Bazaar to pitch VV, crack Lotus for WWW, cast Thalia, he Forces, tap Emerald, cast another Thalia, get back VV, cast Hollow One. He scoops.

0_1527112949549_survivalsalad.JPG

last edited by wfain

@kaluma maybe we just want some Thoughtseize in the board to fight Outcome (good vs Storm and Oath as well)?

way to go! looks good! I'm kind of okay with oath just being a bad matchup. Fairish green decks probably don't have the ability to really fight everything and I'd rather have SB slots to tilt a closer matchup rather than try to fix the 80-20 matchup.

Good thinking, @wfain! I never expected quickly mentioning your 5-0 in the Hollow One thread to lead to such an in-depth discussion, and I'm glad you took the time to create a much-needed independent thread for this emerging archetype.

On Tuesday I played a list that I've since scrapped, trying out a maindeck Qasali Pridemage and an additional Qasali Pridemage and a Trygon Predator in the sideboard. What I found was, although I could resolve Trygon Predator during the game I drew it against Ravager Shops, the lack of immediate impact was a huge detriment. Qasali Pridemage, while exalted is cute, ended up being an overcosted Disenchant the two times I resolved it. In every situation Manglehorn would have been significantly better.

The Qasali build was my first dropped league (1-3) out of the five I've played. I'm now 1-1 in my league with the @kaluma's 5-0 list from last week, and will finish streaming it tonight. If I have enough time before VSL I'll start another league with @wfain's post that's a few above this one, but I don't think I'll get more than the three games done in the two hours before VSL. While I've had a ton of fun with my own 75s I really want to give these Dark Confidant builds a reasonable shot. Nothing forces me to see someone else's perspective more than running their exact build.

@serracollector it’s pretty decent so far! I’m sitting on 4-0 in league with the 2 Thalia list from a couple posts up. Tasigur/Tarmogoyf make the Shops matchup like 60/40 in my favor where before it was like 40/60 or something. Those dudes just handle all but the most busted Ravager/Overseer draws.
Tasigur also makes it a little easier to trigger VV through Trinisphere (which was nearly impossible before).

EDIT: went 5-0. Pretty decent hits on my prize chests too!
0_1527184089968_prizes.JPG

last edited by wfain

@wfain
Is Hooting Mandrills worth trying over goyf? Its what I'm using (no goyfs).

@john-cox I don’t think so 🤷🏻♂️ Delving isn’t exactly trivial in a Vengevine/Wonder/Anger deck, and the fact that Goyf can still be played even if you haven’t activated Bazaar might matter. It seems reasonable to try Hooty over Tasigur though
Edit: Goyf is actually fine against the Jace decks where the delve guys aren’t.

last edited by wfain

This is an excellent deck: very ferocious, hard to control, and broken. You all are doing great work.

@wfain Wow amazing write up crazy list. I finally have Bob's and I own a playset of goyfs so I think I can make this list. Gonna take it for a spin so happy to see this deck become something; I truly wonder if someone in R&D plays with bazaar and thought of it while designing Hollow One.

Excellent work man

Posted a 3-2 and a 4-1 in my last two leagues with the above list (-1 Kambal, +1 Nihil Spellbomb in the board).
Losses were to two fair blue decks (just had really bad draws two matches in a row following a 3-0 start) and to Dredge. Beat BUG Outcome, Shops twice, Dredge, Infect, and two fair blue decks (one could’ve been Outcome, I just made like 15 power in T1 in one game and played a turn 1 Thalia and Bob in the other).
This deck feels real.

I used to play this deck:
3 Dark Confidant
3 Noble Hierarch
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Thalia Heretic Cathar
2 Vengevine
3 Tocatli Honor Guard
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
2 Varolz, the Scar-Striped

4 Cavern of Souls
4 Mana Confluence
2 Bayou
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Forest
5 Moxes
1 Black Lotus

2 Abrupt Decay
2 Null Rod
3 Survival of the Fittest
4 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Fragementize

It is slower than the Bazaar Engine and I had trouble against control decks which were able to cast Tinker-Colossus in 2nd or 3rd turn.

This deck goes more midrange imo and I like the engine with Tocatli - Phyrexian Dreadnought or Varolz and then scavenge Phyrexian Dreadnought for the 12 counters.

But will try the Bazaar Engine and kick out Tocatly, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Varolz and Thalia Heretic out. However, gonna keep Stony Silence (replacing Null Rod) and Thalia Guardian of Thraben in maindeck - my meta is mostly control here.

Another 4-1. Lost the last round to Doomsday, which we’re basically never beating. Beat Shops, Eldrazi Shops, Bug Outcome, and Esper ETutor control (which was really cool with Kaya, Teferi, JTMS).

Views