Survival Salad

• @drstreetmention beautiful

• Report, while it's still fresh. Props to @kaluma for the deck, I felt damn near unbeatable for most of the day. My Jeskai sideboard of 2x decay+squee was great. my shops sideboard was irrelevant (I won via normal survival things, not anything else), and my dredge hate was dredge hate.

R1 Storm. G1 I break his soul by flusterstorm on Tinker, after leading windswept heath pass.
    G2 I assemble drs+leovold+countermagic. he gets clocked and dies after trying and failing with macro.

R2, lose G1 to blind revoker on lotus, win game 2 to assembling the bash bros, then winning a drawn out affair where I had to beat a traxos via phantasmal image, then lose game 3 to revoker on lotus

r3, I smash Jeskai with "here is survival, are you dead?". game 2 was a more buffoony affair where hardcast trygon predator and wonder win the game right through rest in peace.

r4, smashed landstill. felt like I won 3 games, as bazaar and survival donked him. But I did lose g2 having taken some hits while finding abrupt decay for containment priest, and getting fiery confluenced for 6.

r5 smashed Jeskai. g1 played sylvan library. it found me 3 survival. the 3rd stuck and killed my opponent.
    g2, it's a more drawn out affair, but I basically win by trygon eating his hate, then pooping out vengevines.

r6 beat dredge. He mulled to 1 g1, and I had double leyline ancestral in game 2.

r7 lost to blood moons. lost g1 to "surprise you're dead" won g2 off forest jet decay blood moon, lost g3 to emerald sapphire recall...find 0 mana sources, null rod dead.

r8 beat shops, lost g1 to trinisphere, had fast trygon predator games 2/3 and he carried me home.

r9 beat grixis control. g1, I have a bug fish hand. DRS, Leovold, misstep bolt on leo, stick survival, ballgame.
    g2, I open bazaar, hollow one hollow one against his library. I force his dack fayden on 3 with flusterstorm backup, then rip walk to put him to 0 instantly.

r10, I battle shops, g1 have this awkward moment where I've survival'd, forced a couple things, but now our opponent has revokered survival and has larger monsters. fortunately, I have DRS and burn her out for the win.
    g2 she opens on sphere. I bazaar, vv+rootwalla (pitching esg to cast rootwalla) hollow one, and 2x hollow one the next turn and easily win.

My deck was from my last post:

20 core survival
    3 drs
    2 leo
    1 trygon
    1 phantasmal image
    1 squee
    1 esg
    1 wonder

4 force
    3 misstep
    1 MBT
    1 fluster
    1 sylvan library
    1 walk
    1 recall
    1 treasure Cruise

7 fetch
    2 trop
    2 bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 forest
    4 Emerald, Jet, Sapphire, Lotus

sb
    3 flux
    4 leyline
    3 priest
    2 stony
    2 decay
    1 squee

• This post is deleted!

• @neo_altoid that's badass, congrats again! Love that trygon seemed like a boss all day! It's amazing when he sticks and just takes over the game - rest in peace? Leylines? Cages? Foundry inspectors? Just give me a a few attack steps 🙂 in a room full of jeskai and shops it seemed like you were doing exactly the right thing.

• 0_1541283980951_Forceof SurvivWill.JPG

Played 2 leagues with this. Both 4-1. Still lost to PO. One of the games he had 2 cards left and played Hurkyls, I forced to prevent him winning with Tendrils (he cast DT already that turn). The last card turned out to be PO and he was able to chain it the following turn FTW. The problem I'm running into is I can't figure out how to board that matchup. I'll either have a bunch of interaction and no pressure or I leave pressure in and can't bring my interaction. I like this version, but I'm not sure the FoW/MM are better than Thalia and Ancient Grudge/Pyroblast/Stony Silence?

• @wfain

You'll note that my anti-PO plan is quite light. I'm not bringing in 5 cards, I'm bringing in 2 stony silence (and maybe 2 abrupt decay if they are on vault key)...and that's it. I think you've been traumatized to the point of wanting to smash them into the ground with a bunch of hate (and that's really not the plan).

I'm legit just cutting superfluous combo pieces (-1 Wonder, -1 Squee), for a mild number of stony silence...and calling it a day.

You can't control them to never winning, but you can stay alive long enough to win yourself. the game is "I bet you don't have 2 copies of outcome" Sometimes...they do, and you lose, but all I feel was that force took the matchup from horrific (like...20% in my experience against a prepared opponent with Tinker, Vamp, and a brain) to a 40/60-45/55 matchup, which I'm willing to stomachh going into an event.

• Trying the BUG version. So far it's been way too cool to play, so many different lines this can take, and our opponents can't always play around all of them. Against fair blue decks it's been AWESOME!

• For those trying to up blue count, could Sindbad be an option? With Sylvan/Bazaar manipulation, netting lands seems good, or just discarding a topdeck Rootwalla, Vengevine, or getting 1 more discard for Hollow One, all good synergies. Also, it can attack.

• @serracollector Looter il-Kor seems better in that regard.

• @wfain I think JVP is probably the best "looter with upside." I was browsing UG creatures and found Wood Sage as an interesting but probably bad option as well.

• @kaluma

JVP is so medicore, and I wanted to cut him at all points (matter of fact, I did cut him for champs)

What about Magus of the Bazaar? it's very castable, and turn 1 Magus of the Bazaar into go nuts isn't all that far from the real of possibility.

• Hapless Researcher maybe? You don't often need more than one loot, he's cheaper and kills bridges. I also don't know how necessary a looter is.

• @john-cox It's a luxury, not a necessity, and does help with the blue count.

For example, I think it would be worth trying Magus of the Bazaar of Phantasmal image in my list (but it's a "worth trying", not "100% I want this")

• @neo_altoid idk, I’ve been impressed with PI. The ability to actually 20 piece someone is nice (especially Oath).

• TMD Supporter

On a totally unrelated and irrelevant note, do the new Vengevine and Noble Hierach masterpieces push this deck even further into the insurmountable #1 Most Expensive Deck slot by a longshot?

• @joshuabrooks said in Survival Salad:

On a totally unrelated and irrelevant note, do the new Vengevine and Noble Hierach masterpieces push this deck even further into the insurmountable #1 Most Expensive Deck slot by a longshot?

I think you certainly can have a pimp version of this deck which is nearly as bad as anything else. I think the only reason you don't get there is that USea--which we don't play--is so much more expensive than pimp versions of Trop and Bayou.

• @joshuabrooks I'd bet a fully masterpiece'd Shops deck costs more.

• Going to be streaming some Vintage today if anyone wants to hang out!

https://www.twitch.tv/kaluma47

• @kaluma I wonder if white is a better color for the FoW versions? You could play several Spell Queller to allow for a higher blue count and even more ways to counter PO.

• @wfain

How are you jamming in more blue cards? All of the black cards main are already blue as well!

For real though, I thought about Spell Queller, and my issue with the card is that it sucks against Jeskai. You end up wanting to Spell Queller cards like Preordain rather than spells that matter, since you get so thoroughly ranched by removal if you ever tuck something like a Jace or Dack Fayden under the card. Leovold is blue, and does the deed of hosing PO roughly as well as Spell Queller (we trade beating Tinker for being better against the cantrips).

WAF/WHF