Survival Salad

• @rat3de not playing white, so no. Null rod is a strong maindeck card, but as stated above need to keep creature and blue count high. Priest is a poor maindeck card.

If you want to dunk on shops, it's not that hard. Play flux, null rods/stony, and a few cheap removal spells. That with mana dorks and fatties is a overwhelming combo 9/10 times. I'm not playing flux to have slightly more versatile SB cards. Trygon is great in the mirror and against blue control etc. All about the expected meta.

• I've got an update for you all! There should be created a different topic for the BUG version, which goldfish is calling BUGR

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1430909#online

PS.: just a little help for those who like me were not finding kaluma's results in goldfish.

• @gutocmtt
    I was actually planning to update the OP with the various routes one can take when building, starting from the initial 20+power+lands position.

• @wfain That sounds nice. It can get confusing for someone that's just joining the thread, as we are usually discussing one list at a time. I think the spotlights should definitely be at the newest build that has potential (BUG).

That being said, there are 2 things I keep asking myself about the list I'm running (with grudges and no counters). Are the mana sources on it excessive? It's funny, because I hardly feel flooded G1, and I side out some mana in G2 against almost every deck (except shops), and I hardly get mana screwed. Maybe that's the right way, but sounds unoptimal. Is anyone here playing it? I'd like some insights, maybe take out a mox and put a containment priest MD to search for against dredge and oath.

Also, I love rav. trap against dredge AND against unexperienced survival players. But with survival, there's how to get around it. I'm thinking about running tormod's crypt, which also we can cast before thalia gets in and tax it too, and as we usually bazaar on our turn, I don't think that's a bad idea. The only downside is that people see it comming and can even blow it. But I don't feel like rav. trap is great when people expect it (like it should, as it's a trap).

The list is the following:

0_1541190697248_49f594cf-c573-422a-a342-71e234b5ffbc-image.png

• @gutocmtt I think you want Stony over Null Rod. As for the mana part, I do that too. Basic Forest comes out often. I would recommend possibly one or two changes to that 75, but in general I think the plan is solid.

• @wfain I think stony silence is an issue in a 4 color deck with splash for the 5th color. Null rod doesn't require me to fetch for savannah, and leave me relying less on not getting wasted against shops (which I don't bring any white cards against, with null rod). I get that null rod is bad against hurkyl, but repeal is getting me way more times than hurkyl and also the matchup isn't bad for this deck.

• Oh and one thing I forgot: ESG is nice for survival loops to get more discard to play hollow ones, and in general to be one extra activation or even get someone playing ancient grudge with no mana open. But there are a lot of times where it's just a one-shot colorless mana. I think I'll cut one for the containment priest and use tormod's instead of ravenous trap.

• So looking over the matches i've played, some interesting observations about the online meta:

24% of matches against PO - huge number of these decks showing up. I like the FoW version best against this deck, grudge version second best. Bant/non-red versions leaning on stony or rods feel weak to counters, tinker, mentor without a great plan against those things.

11% of matches against the mirror - interesting development that is only a little bit skewed by playing Kinny twice just now. Have a good plan for the mirror!! again I like the FoW version here, but mostly bc of DRS and the ability to fight opposing DRS's on the stack with misstep. I'm 8-1 against the mirror right now, but that's probably a little unsustainable.

9% of matches against oath - been slightly positive here, but is definitely a hard matchup.

9% of matches against shops - this might be more popular in paper/ challenges than leagues? I really feel like PO has hated shops out to a large degree. Seeing shops ~once every two leagues means i'm okay not devoting SB slots to hard shops hate.

~25% assorted blue decks (non-PO, oath) - this ranges from highly favored to fairly tricky depending how many DRS they play, their SB options, the number of FoWs they draw compared to your survivals etc. Usually you have inevitability, except when facing DRS.

• @kaluma so it sounds like figuring out how to play FoW and Grudge is the way to go? And having access to a Savannah for SB Priest seems important? Thoughts?
    0_1541205999073_Forceof SurvivWill.JPG

• @wfain i don't think you need to be in white just for grave-hate. Stretching the mana to 4 colors + FoW comes at the cost of going from 4 DRS to 3 DRS. I tried it for a league and the grudge never really came up as good or bad, so TBD.

edit - seeing the picture now. list definitely looks playable. still don't think priest is worth splashing for. priest/thalia/stony is a compelling reason, but not compatible with FoW. I like deep analysis as an idea. I think you do want squee maindeck - over pearl?

• @kaluma Yeah, if I cut Priest and Savannah. I’d go Squee and a fetch in the main. Another Grudge in the board perhaps? Maybe then add 2 Ravenous Traps on top of the Leylines?

• Is the survival player in the top 8 in Pittsburgh anyone here?

• I don't think so. I made top 16 on BUG force of will survival

• I would love to see them take it all. Them or @The-Atog-Lord, he deserves it by now.

• @john-cox if my crazy brew from the beginning of the summer wins both Asia and US Eternal Weekend I’ll feel like my MtG career has been vindicated 😂😂😂

• @wfain I think you will have accomplished alot even if your brew has only won one big championship.

• @neo_altoid congrats! Would love to see a write up and decklist!

• TMD Supporter

I finished 7-3 for 38th place at Champs. I lost vs shops in the last round when I punted several times including missing the win on board in game one. My brain was completely gone after a long day but it was a good run for me. I loved my deck and I’d change only -1 Kataki, +1 Trygon Predator in the board. I’ll write up a bit more later.

My decklist is here

• @drstreetmention beautiful

WAF/WHF