[DOM] Squee, the Immortal

• You can also make an infinitely large Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. Fun!

• @blindtherapy said in [DOM] Squee, the Immortal:

@ambivalentduck if you're casting squee infinite times all you need if FSD/tattermunge duo and a Legion Loyalist to give trample.

@brass-man said in [DOM] Squee, the Immortal:

You can also make an infinitely large Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. Fun!

Unfortunately, both are 4-card combos to kill that turn.

Taking the more generic Naya 8x Recruiters angle, you can use Ballista instead. You can also rock the Aluren kill.

• @hierarchnoble said in [DOM] Squee, the Immortal:

Hand:
    Land
    Land
    Mox
    Goblin Recruiter
    Food Chain
    Useless Goblin
    Blank

You know only food chain is hard to get there. Everything else can be played in heavy multiples. I don't see this deck going anywhere but the design space is there. Serum Powder might be what this deck is after.

• This is likely too cute to be good, but Ill be testing this:

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Emerald
    4 Serum Powder
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Food Chain

1 Demonic Consultation
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Tarfire

4 Goblin Lackey
    2 Tin-Street Hooligan
    3 Goblin Recruiter
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Squee, the Immortal
    1 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Earwig Squad
    1 Siege-Gang Commander

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Gemstone Caverns
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Badlands
    2 Taiga
    1 Mountain

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    2 Tin-Street Hooligan
    1 Earwig Squad

The deck currently has 61 cards. Im testing out a few singletons:

-Chalice should be good in the main. The gemstone caverns makes chalice for one on turn one a reasonable proposition and it hoses the deck minimally.
    -Trinisphere also hoses the deck minimally, but Im more sceptical, since its a turn two play.
    -Demonic consultation should work extremely well here. It has more than 50 percent chance of hitting both Food Chain and Squee and can sometimes do it on turn zero. I also considered a one-of Spoils of the Vault, but think the life-loss will be too high too often for it to be worth it.
    -Vampiric tutor is less strong. I think its better than Demonic Tutor, due to synergy with Gemstone Caverns, but will not be surprised to cut it.
    -Both Siege-Gang Commander and Goblin Warchief are maindeck pieces for killing the same turn I go off. Playing both is necessary as long as I run Demonic Consultation. Note that Goblin Sharpshooter is only a utility card: I could change that by replacing Siege-Gang with a Skirk Prospector, but that makes it a two-card combo: Siege-Gang is more compact.
    -The one Tarfire is there to pick off random Canonists, Pridemages and the like. It is also a fun way to pick out a utility dude on turn zero once in a blue moon.

The sideboard is built with the intention of tilting to pure RG when playing against shops and creature strategies and tilting to RB+Food Chain when playing against combo and control. Note that the deck has fully 7 cards that can interact with dredge on turn zero (4Leyline, 2Surgical, 1Consultation into Surgical) plus the 4 Serum Powders.

The synergy is there, but Im sceptical about the power level : )

• Hi folks!

I tested the list yesterday, playing three matches against big-mana grixis control, PO UBW control and PO combo with time vault. I won all six games, but that has more to do with my opponent drawing poorly than anything else. A few observations:

I only really comboed out twice. Once, food chain was merely a mana accelerator. In 3 games I just goblined the opponent to death. This is fine, of course: The aggro-plan in the deck is decent; especially against these three decks, that dont block lackey consistently.

The deck had a powerful plan 4/6 games. In the last 2, I just played little dudes, disrupted a bit and luck-sacked my wins. When the deck is doing something powerful, its because of one of these things happening:

-I played turn 1 chalice for one twice, off gemstone caverns and a mox.
    -I played turn 1 lackey, which was not answered (4 caverns of souls being key).
    -I played turn zero gemstone caverns.

Serum powder performed really well, I used it in 4 out of 6 games, either drawing it in the first opener or mulliganing into it. I never mulliganed below 6, and serum powder helps to not do this. I often had access to squee from exile, which helped me combo off twice. Once, I just played him from exile as a dude. Just having him there keeps the opponent nervous.

These are too few games to make many changes. Ill do this:

-1 siege-gang commander, +1 skirk prospector. In two games I explicitly wanted to recruiter for prospector, because I was stuck on two mana and unable to play food chain. This also makes sharpshooter an instant kill, so I can drop siege-gang, which is mostly an irrelevant card.

-1 matron, +1 recruiter. Matron was clunky and recruiter was less of a bad/risky card than I remembered. I recruitered for 2-5 goblins a bunch of times, typically tin-street hooligans and ringleaders. Not once did I goblin-screw myself.

Trinisphere might be bad, and both tarfire and maindeck earwig squad might be irrelevant, but I dont know yet.

• @recklessmbermage I think Glimpse of Nature might be interesting. This would allow just casting tons of goblins and attacking for lethal via Warchief giving them all haste. (Recruiter works pretty well with Glimpse too!)

• TMD Supporter

@recklessmbermage Thank for both the list and in-depth analysis of these games! I'm going to start testing your list as-is next week, hopefully making changes as the leagues go along throughout the month of June. If it seems promising then perhaps we can flesh out a full-blown strategy thread dedicated to FCG specifically (much like what happened with the Hollow One thread).

• Wfain: Glimpse is definitely something to think about. This deck typically cant play more than two goblins per turn when its not going off though. When it goes off, ringleader does the drawing I need. But Ill have glimpse in mind when I play. 1-2 could be good.

Thanks Hierarchnoble, thats really cool! Im looking forward to reading about your results and updating the deck accordingly.

• Hi again!

Ive tested the above list (with minor changes) again and am close to scrapping it. This time I played against Grixis control and shops. The deck still seems to play well against grixis control, because tin-street hooligan and earwig squad are effective and easy to find, even when played in small numbers. I didnt combo off at all. Shops seems close to impossible: I have no reasonable hope to combo off and my 1-1 removal and card advantage are way to slow to come online. Against ravager shops, lackey has limited chances of getting through and the shops deck can go wide quickly: My old tactic of lining up tin-street hooligans with a recruiter and playing one a turn has become way too slow.

The above deck works hard to get the combo online, with the two tutors and serum powder to find food chain. The deck is still way too slow in comboing off. I will leave the combo in as an alternative win, but cut back on the weakest cards (serum powder, squee). In turn, I can play more actual good goblins and will test Goblin Trashmaster, to see if it can give me some game against shops. (Side note on trashmaster: It also combos off with sharpshooter if there is a single artifact in play, so skirk prospector is gone.) This is now a midrange deck with a food chain alternative kill.

Gemstone caverns is not a good card. I didnt read the card properly and played it as if it would work when I was on the play. Pretty embarassing. I have cut it for more artifact mana.

If anyone else has tested food chain goblins as of late, I would appreciate your thoughts on its viability.

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox sapphire
    1 Mana crypt
    1 Sol ring
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere

4 Food Chain
    1 Demonic Consultation
    1 Vampiric Tutor

4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Tin-Street Hooligan
    2 Goblin Recruiter
    1 Stingscourger
    4 Goblin Matron
    2 Squee, the Immortal
    1 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    4 Earwig Squad
    3 Goblin Trashmaster

4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Badlands
    3 Taiga
    1 Mountain

SB:
    4 Grafdiggers Cage
    4 Null rod
    1 Tin-street hooligan
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin sharpshooter
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy

• TMD Supporter

@recklessmbermage I went to test your prior version and gave up once I really felt just how click-intensive it was to combo off online. I don't have any opportunities to play it in paper so I've scrapped the idea too.

• @recklessmbermage
    Have you considered Glimpse of Nature? It would give you the ability to draw the whole deck when comb
    As for the plan for fighting Shops, perhaps you ought to have access to a Volcanic Island and Energy Flux in the sideboard.

• @hierarchnoble

Basically my feelings on nearly every infinite combo's viability on MTGO.

WAF/WHF